So I bought a Japanese PS2

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by GodofHardcore, Mar 27, 2019.

1. TriMesh

TriMesh Site Supporter 2013-2017

It was a special edition color for Japan only, called "Midnight Black" - there was also an earlier translucent black model that was slightly lighter and was called "Zen Black" - I think that was a SCPH-37000 series console.

2. la-li-lu-le-lo

la-li-lu-le-lo ラリルレロ

If you tested different cables and other systems with the same results, then the problem is obviously not your system or cables. Your TV must be the issue, or an adapter/converter if you're using one of those. By the way, the PS2 outputs RGB, so you're better off using that if that's an option.

I didn't see this comment before. Special Stage is pretty similar to Ver. 2 in terms of handling/overall gameplay, though I haven't played either in quite a while, so I don't remember exactly what it was like. One really obvious difference between 8 and 2/Special Stage is that with 8 there's basically no braking. You technically can brake, but there's usually no reason to, since the car automatically drifts when you turn sharply. For me it makes the game easier, because I always found the drifting in 2 to be rather difficult. 2 has more normal braking and drifting mechanics. Whether the drifting being easier makes the game better or worse is hard to say.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2019
  3. GodofHardcore

GodofHardcore Paragon of the Forum *

It was a combination of a few things. A blast of air on the AV port of the PS2 fixed it. I tested the same cable on my PS3 and it looked fine, 360 was zoomed in but looked fine. I finally have it hooked up with no issue but I might get a new Component cable since it's a Monster Deathgrip cable. But the set it up it self is convoluted. A component cable into a switch, with cables going to a Component to D-terminal converter right into my Framemiester. That's why it took so long to figure out, I have a million things going in to my TV/Framemister.

Mine is an SCPH-50000 quick search of Midnight black PS2 on Google only brings up that model number.

4. la-li-lu-le-lo

la-li-lu-le-lo ラリルレロ

Since you're using the Framemeister, you should just use a SCART cable. retrogamingcables has them. You'll need either a sync stripper or a cable with C-sync. The difference between RGB and component isn't that huge, but there is a difference – and if you want to get the most out of your system, it's probably worth it. I use RGB with my PVM, and the picture looks really good; my only complaint is the fact that most PS2 games only support 480i.

5. GodofHardcore

Doesn't the PS2 use a type of RGB the Framemiester doesn't support? Sync on Green?

6. TriMesh

TriMesh Site Supporter 2013-2017

The PS2 can support sync-on-green, but it doesn't use it by default. The thing the Framemeister doesn't like about the PS2 video signal is that it doesn't output C-sync, just composite video or the S-video Y signal - which is why you need a cable with a sync stripper.

7. GodofHardcore

I use RGB for my Genesis and just getting that cable was a huge pain. Of course it's not looking too hot for component either, but HD Retrovision is supposed to be a quality cable and their PlayStation cable is pretty easy to find.

8. GodofHardcore

There we go

Attached Files:

9. sumone

sumone Spirited Member

10. GodofHardcore

11. geluda

geluda <B>Site Supporter 2012</B><BR><B>Site Supporter 20

Don't know if you're into this sort of thing but I'd reccomend Hokuto No Ken and Sengoku Basara X from Arc System Works. Also the Korean version of Guilty Gear XX #Relaod is very rare, has a unique alt OST and bunch of other stuff, but I don't know if it's NTSC-J or PAL.

12. GodofHardcore

2/3 I hear the upcoming Switch collection will have the Korean #Reload OST

Attached Files:

geluda likes this.
  13. la-li-lu-le-lo

la-li-lu-le-lo ラリルレロ

Like I said, retrogamingcables has PS2 SCART cables. All you have to do is order it from their website. I have one of their Genesis cables, and the quality is pretty good. Keep in mind, in order to use their SCART cables you'll need a way to connect SCART to the Framemeister; they don't have JP21 cables for PS2.

14. Pinta77

Pinta77 Gamecube Fanatic

Do you want a Japanese copy of Nocturne? If you'll use it I'll send you it for free. I'm trying to clear out my PS2 stuff also, and I have no use for a game I cant play.

15. Pinta77

Pinta77 Gamecube Fanatic

Also, a little off topic but initial D is one of my favorite games in the Arcade!

16. GodofHardcore

That's the thing, I'd need another adapter If I get additional RGB cables it's going to be JP21 and with that is the trouble of finding a Switcher and the only JP21 switcher I can get ahold of is the selecty and.... too much hassle that's why I'm getting HD Retrovision cables for everything else.

I'm only JUST starting to learn to read Kana and Nocturne is brutal enough in English let alone trying to not die and looking every single character up in my Kana book while playing... Not quite there yet.

Pinta77 likes this.
  17. la-li-lu-le-lo

la-li-lu-le-lo ラリルレロ

Will you ship it for free? If so, I’ll take it. I probably wouldn’t play it a ton, but at least a little.

18. Pinta77

Pinta77 Gamecube Fanatic

Yeah I'll ship it for free, I'll give it to you totally for free. I just don't want to throw it away. PM me if you're interested

19. GodofHardcore

So the System is set up I have a decent 1080p profile with H/V settings reducing Bob deinterlacing flickering as best I can.

What I need now are games. Most of my pick ups have been safe bets.
    Fighting Games/Shmups/racing games/ Sengoku Basara

I'm looking for some good Hack n Slash and stuff my barely literate Gaijin ass can enjoy. Chain Dive looks...interesting.

20. la-li-lu-le-lo

la-li-lu-le-lo ラリルレロ

I sent you a PM.

Pinta77 likes this.