SNES X-Band modem found with good SRAM!! Need to dump this asap!

Discussion in 'Dumping and Backing Up Your Games and Prototypes' started by Lunchbox, Apr 5, 2018.

1. Lunchbox

Lunchbox Active Member

As title states. I bought an snes xband modem that just so happens to have good sram from 1996 with potentially content on it (game patches). I need a way to dump the sram from this thing asap before the 22 year old battery dies. I currently have the modem running in my snes and I haven't switched it off for fear of losing the data. Im not sure this is going to keep the battery alive any longer potentially or not but.. Can anyone help?

Last edited: Apr 5, 2018
    Getta Robo likes this.
  2. ma777

ma777 Peppy Member

Take a look into "suicide battery" which is in a lot of Capcom and SEGA arcades. You should able to replace the battery pretty easily and then buy your self some time/piece of mind.

3. takeshi385

takeshi385 Mojarra Frita Bandit

I thought you only had a minute before save disappears.

4. ma777

ma777 Peppy Member

I can't find the old link I'm thinking of right now or a suitable replacement. You can solder on a jumper battery, remove the old battery, solder in a new battery, and then remove the jumper battery.

Here it is: http://www.jamma-nation-x.com/jammax/tutorials.html
    Click on other > Arcade Misc > Sega System 16-18

5. Lunchbox

Lunchbox Active Member

Im a bit worried to even touch the battery tbh. The data is still there, but badly needs to be dumped. If ANYONE has an idea of what might need to be toggled to dump this or what banks or ranges I might need to read from that would be SUPER helpful. I have something that should work to dump the data, but I'm lacking the knowledge of the SNES Memory mapping.

So far my attempt to dump the sram has resulted in the data being repeated multiple times and not all of it is coming through. SRAM on the x-band goes from E00000 to E0FFFF (64KB in size). this is about all I really know.

6. takeshi385

takeshi385 Mojarra Frita Bandit

7. Lunchbox

Lunchbox Active Member

So i have another xband modem here (japanese also) and i attempted to dump this one which i knew didnt have any good data on it and got nothing but repeating data.

I ran a homebrew program that writes to a memory address that worked on the USA snes xband modem and unlocked the sram so it could all be seen, however it seems to have bricked the modem and it will only boot into a single dialog box of which wont go away....

Attached Files:

8. stevo9389

stevo9389 Plays It Loud

"Blur 2's controller is still connected. Be sure to tighten when using XBAND"
    Seems like there's something lost in the translation? Does a controller have to be connected at all times?

9. Lunchbox

Lunchbox Active Member

LOL. turns out you cant have controller 2 connected on boot...

Anyway, yeah if anyone thinks they might be able to help with what banks of rom+sram or sram need to be dumped please let me know.

10. Lunchbox

Lunchbox Active Member

Looks like i may have a method to dump this after all.