SNES troubleshooting

Discussion in 'Repair, Restoration, Conservation and Preservation' started by Bran Diezel, Aug 23, 2015.

1. Bran Diezel

Bran Diezel Member

Hey guys! I've been searching all day on the internet for an idea on how to repair my console.

My snes when you turn it on will display the initial boot of any game I insert. Like the credits, Nintendo logo, sim city title screen but it is locked and there is no sound and no attempt at ever trying to do anything.

I found one post on another forum and the guy had a similar problem with the sound chip. I took the console all apart and cleaned it, pins looked great, all caps looked good, fuse good, pulled sound chip off and cleaned connector, everything looks to be ok. I did not ohm out the pins from the terminal to the bottom of the board or trace them back from there though.

I put it back together with no improvement, I even took the sound chip off and started the console with the exact same results.

Any ideas on what's happening?

2. Pikmin

Pikmin Resolute Member

I still have one SNES with this problem, most games I tried just show black screen. The only game that shows video is the Mario Kart, the Nintendo logo shows up and then just sits there.
    Can you test Mario Kart and see if the same thing happens? From what you sad it might be the same issue.
    Sorry I can't help but maybe someone else can suggest something for us

3. Blaasvis

Blaasvis Active Member

I had some problems with a 1chip snes yesterday, it was known to be bad. Bought it off someone.
    It probably had been dropped or something since the board was cracked on both sides of the cart connector.
    The console gave most of the time a black screen. Or it gave scramble graphics.
    When i pressed the 1chip itself the screen cam back on. I reflowed the chip and the problem was gone.

So what you can try is pressing the chips while you turn it on. Make sure to be ESD safe. I recon it is the s-cpu if it is not a 1chip.

4. Bran Diezel

Bran Diezel Member

Unfortunately mario kart is one of many games I seemed to have lost through my travels. I will try more games to see if any produce a blank screen.

I'm not sure where my grounding strap is so I will just push on the chips with the blunt end on a screwdriver that will give me a non conductive blunt object to apply some force with.

The snes is the original one I got in late summer of 91. It was used extensively till 1997. In climate controlled storage until 2008 when it got put in a basement that wasn't all that damp but close to room temperature. Played again for a month in 2010. Back to the basement, moved in 2012 where it has been in the garage and sees pretty damn hot summers and cold winters which I'm guessing has played a small part in all this.

I may just leave it turned on for an hour or so then reboot. Maybe that'll get some juices flowing.

I am going to look for another early working SNES with detachable sound board that works and swap it if none of the above work.

5. Pikmin

Pikmin Resolute Member

Thank you!

6. MaxWar

MaxWar <B>Site Supporter 2013</B>

From your description it appears that your motherboard is of the SHVC type, with the separate sound board.
    It seems that a high number of this generation of SNES are currently failing in similar conditions. Most games dont work or quickly crash. There are several threads on the subject on this very subforum. This specific problem seems to affect almost only the old SHVC SNES.
    The current favored explanation is the CPU dying of old age, it appears to be the most likely explanation. But this has yet to be demonstrated.

7. jonoghue

jonoghue Active Member

well well well looks like we've found another one.

Bran could you do me a favor and look at the CPU and see if it says S-CPU or S-CPU-A?

8. Pikmin

Pikmin Resolute Member

9. Blaasvis

Blaasvis Active Member

I had two of the 1-chip s-cpu-a which were failing. When i had reflowed/resolder the cpu both were back to working state. Just add enough flux and go over each pin for a few seconds.

10. Bran Diezel

Bran Diezel Member

Sorry I haven't made any progress yet I am 6 months behind at work and it's killing me.

I really think it sounds like an issue with the CPU and RAM.

I will see what chip it is but yes it's the svhc version.

I bought a working one today that is the same model which I may try to play around with the multimeter and see if I can find anything, also swap the sound chip and see if anything happens.

Reflowing the chips and ram is what I will def be trying soon.

11. MaxWar

MaxWar <B>Site Supporter 2013</B>

So far I did not have any success with reflowing on those SHVC, replacing the SWRAM was no winner either. But my experiments have not been repeated enough times to be statistically significant.

Helder likes this.
  12. Pikmin

Pikmin Resolute Member

Appreciate the suggestions, it will be a while before I can try it on mine but will report back when that happens

13. serge85

serge85 Member

Hello pikmin, I have the same problem that you have, but with a Snes Jr.

Black screen of death, I've checked the voltage regulator, the fuse, cleaned the contacts....and all I got was black screen, Until I saw this thread and read about super mario kart, so immediately I tried that game and... got this: [​IMG]

, somethimes I get half the logo, other times just a tiny square of garbled graphics, and finally the rest of times I still get the black screen ( with super mario kart).... Tomorrow I'll reflow the 1Chip and I'll tell you guys what happens.

14. Pikmin

Pikmin Resolute Member

Thanks serge85. I hope you get it fixed :)

15. serge85

serge85 Member

Well guys, I reflowed the 1Chip, and.....no luck :(

I hate the idea of snes dying , of all the retro consoles that I have, snes is the one that fails the most ( I've encountered like 4 black screens of death :( ), ohh well....

16. Pikmin

Pikmin Resolute Member

Sorry to hear that :(

17. jonoghue

jonoghue Active Member

I recently had 2 SHVC models with black screens, and a few games would display garbled graphics and nothing else. After hours of troubleshooting i figured it was most likely the CPUs were bad. ended up sacrificing a working SNES (later revision) and putting its CPU in one of the broken ones and that fixed it. unfortunately since that of course makes another SNES useless the only real reason was to confirm that was in fact the problem. now that was just one case, but i think there's a decent chance what you have is a bad CPU.

smilecitrus likes this.