SNES sprite issue

Discussion in 'Repair, Restoration, Conservation and Preservation' started by Gábor Kovács, Feb 26, 2017.

1. Gábor Kovács

Gábor Kovács Newly Registered

Hey guys,

I would like to ask for some support with a sprite issue I have with my recently bought SNES.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/67999595/snes_sprite_issue.mp4

It looks like sprites are disappearing when more sprites are in the same line. My idea was if there are too many sprites, the SNES starts to use another pin for transferring the data, and that pin has short circuit or something, but it is still weird that it appears only per lines. I have cleaned everything all around in the box with contact cleaner, but still the same.

Do you have any idea what could be the problem? PPU? Capacitor?

I am using it on LED TV and RF cable at the moment, waiting for th AV cable, but because not the whole picture is affected, only the sprite layer, it cannot be an RF issue.

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Gábor

2. AtomizerZero

AtomizerZero Intrepid Member

It most likely is the PPU. Do other games have any trouble?

3. Gábor Kovács

I have the same problem in case of other games, but it does not come up this often as in Secret of Mana. Maybe because of less and smaller sprites. I noticed the same in Super Mario World when too many things are moving on the screen.

4. AtomizerZero

AtomizerZero Intrepid Member

I know you said it can't be an rf problem, but it might be related. Let us know how you get on with the av cable.

5. Gábor Kovács

I'm wondering if the layers are merged before the full image is transferred to the RF and AV circuits, or they are merged separately for both. Nevermind, I will let you know the results after I got the cable. Thanks!