SNES Controller Port Problem

Discussion in 'Repair, Restoration, Conservation and Preservation' started by amace, Mar 2, 2016.

1. amace

amace Active Member

I've got a few non-working SNES that I'm trying to restore.

One is giving me a bit of a headache. It's an early edition model (with SHVC sound module) It boots up, shows picture/sound, but the controller port doesn't work. Simple fix I thought, replace the controller ports from another SNES. The issue continues. (It's not the controller)

Specifically, what is happening is that only the B button works, I can't use any arrows, start or other buttons. I've tried multiple controllers, and now two different ports, and the same issues are happening. SOMETIMES if I move the cable around and start mashing buttons, it will start selecting and going back, as if activating two buttons at the same time (for example, SMW goes into Game A, to the one or two player screen, then back to game select)

I've tested continuity from each solder point where the ribbon connector connects the port module all the way to the solder points on the mainboard where the connector is, and each one is good. the resistors and capacitors right beside them seem fine, I don't know where to go from here. The issue clearly is on the motherboard, but where?

Has anybody experienced this issue? Any solutions that you can think of?

2. CkRtech

CkRtech Spirited Member

Hey amace,

I encountered issues with SNES controllers in the past on a SNES deck I was testing. I had quite a few parts available, and it only took a second to switch out the controller block. I encountered the same problem after switching out the controller block. Turns out my test controller had *just* reached the point where the button pads and landing points inside were dirty enough somewhere that the intermittent contact was wreaking havoc on circuit.

I took apart the controller and cleaned it. Problems went away. Most of the controllers I have cleaned have had noticeable dirt at the start button points on the PCB and oftentimes the shoulder buttons. That said - If you are in there, clean the entire thing.

Also note that this issue can very extremely temperamental. You might hook it up to a different SNES and not encounter any issues.

3. amace

amace Active Member

I've definitely ruled out the controller itself as the issue. I've tested three different controllers and the same issues exist on all. I'll probably clean them anyway, since they haven't been cleaned lately, but something else is causing issues.

I've got some parts coming in, including new voltage regulators for the SNES and cap kits, so maybe one of those will make a difference?

4. CkRtech

CkRtech Spirited Member

I think if your voltage regulator were having issues you would encounter other problems in addition to the controller. Most voltage regulators last a really long time. If I have seen them go, it is usually because of some other issue with a system - especially if someone blew a fuse, bridged the fuse points, and then blew the regulator (I literally have that on one SNES board around here somewhere).

Did you buy new caps and regulators for preventative maintenance? I understand maybe wanting to replace old caps, but did the regulator give you a cause for concern? Did you check the voltages with your multimeter?

5. amace

amace Active Member

I haven't tested the regulator yet, I bought the caps for two other SNES I have that I'm trying to fix. One of them I'm getting the black screen of death (Then I blew the fuse on it), the other has a broken AC Jack, so I've ordered a new one for that (along with extra fuses and voltage regulators since the price is negligible). I bought a cap kit for that one as well, since I was doing the order anyway, what's another $4?

I don't have a specific reason for thinking the voltage regulator is bad, just hoping it could possibly be something easy to repair like that. Rather do that than hunt down one broken trace on a board or have it be a bad CPU chip or something like that. I've ruled out the controller, the port module ribbon connector and connector port soldered to the mainboard as the issue. Something else is causing a problem, but I'm not sure what part on the SNES processes the signal from the controllers.

6. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

Does this happen both with player 1 and player 2?

7. amace

amace Active Member

To be honest, I haven't tried. I'll try it tonight with both controllers plugged in and see what I get.

8. rama

rama Gutsy Member

There's quite a lot of components before the controller lines finally reach the CPU.
    Any of those could be bad and additionally, the port where the flat cable connects often corrodes.
    [​IMG]

9. amace

amace Active Member

Guess I'm testing traces next. Where did you get the schematic? It cuts off halfway down for me (on a phone, might be different on a computer)

10. LeHaM

LeHaM Site Soldier

sa1 likes this.
  11. amace

amace Active Member

Thanks. Do you host those or did you just find them? If theyre yours, do you also have one for the gpm-02 board? That's the one I've got with the bad power jack, could be handy for troubleshooting as well.

12. LeHaM

LeHaM Site Soldier

they are all ones I've been finding online. this stuff tends to go missing online due to various things so I have been reuploading them