Snes Component Mod

Discussion in 'Modding and Hacking - Consoles and Electronics' started by Pikmin, Feb 9, 2019.

1. Pikmin

Pikmin Resolute Member

Hey all,
    I'm thinking about doing this mod but not sure if it's worth it. Provided my TV will output 240p.

I have a PAL SNSP-CPU-02, installed the SuperCIC on it, the vertical bar is pretty prominent too.

I don't remember exactly what video encoder I have but pretty sure it just says S-ENC (No A or B) and Nintendo. Don't remember the numbers underneath that.

What do you guys think?

2. Pikkon

Pikkon "Moving in Stereo"

Think my pal snes might be the same model but I did the component mod on it and it turned out great.

What kind of tv do you want to run it on,if it's a hdtv than its a hit or miss.

Pikmin likes this.
  3. Pikmin

Pikmin Resolute Member

Thanks for your reply Pikkon
    I have a Sony Bravia EX720, no S-Video inputs on it, only Component and HDMI

I also have an older fat Dell TV monitor with component inputs. Samsung and Teac but hoping it would work on Sony.

Do you have any notes on the install?

4. Pikkon

You can do a simple test,just plug in any old 240p console via composite into the green component port,if it shows up black and white you should be good.

5. Pikmin

Pikmin Resolute Member

Thanks for that, will be home on Thursday to test and report back.

S-ENC pin 1 RED
    S-ENC pin 24 BLUE
    S-ENC pin 23 GREEN or Multi AV Out??

Did you use any other components?

6. Pikkon

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
    Pikmin likes this.
  7. Pikmin

Pikmin Resolute Member

Thanks very much Pikkon

8. Pikmin

Pikmin Resolute Member

The main TV shows full colour :/ I take it that’s not a good sign. Two show black screen or nothing and two actually show B&W heavily checkboarded

Edit: The main TV has got an option of Auto/Composite/Component
    When I force component the input stays grayed out, however when I set to Auto it becomes active in colour but after that I can change it to Component and it shows B&W

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
  9. Pikkon

Do you have a ps2 with component cables?

If so load up a ps1 game and see what outputs.

10. Pikmin

Pikmin Resolute Member

Hey Pikkon
    Didn't quite go as planned, I started the mod, wired up pin 1 + 220uf cap - RCA, pin 24 + 220uf cap - RCA
    Since I had SuperCIC on this console I didn't want to remove the heat sink so I wired Y to S-ENC 23

I turned it on and I got video output but the colours were off, blue was very faint

I proceeded to solder to PIN 7 of Multi AV out and removed the connection to PIN 23 and tried to test that way but somehow I ended up blowing the fuse :( I tested with the meter that there was no bridge between pins 7 and surrounding pins. Soldered the fuse from my other Snes and tested, no video output.

Removed the mod, cleaned up the soldering. Composite out is not displaying the colours properly, again seems like blue is non-existent.
    When I use a Scart the colours are okay

Any suggestions? I'm sad

11. Pikkon

First make sure you have no bridges on the s-enc and did you discharge the console before you did the mod?

12. Pikmin

Pikmin Resolute Member

No bridges that I could see, but will go over with a multi meter when I'm back home, I have discharged it when I started the mod. The colour issue started when I only had the wires soldered to the S-ENC, so even before I touched the Multi AV Out.

I have blown the fuse when I started with the Multi AV, so somewhere along the way I didn't discharge it seems :/

I've been reading last night and there was a thread where someone else had the problem with PIN 7 of Multi AV Out, it wasn't working for him either, I think you were in discussion there as well but I can't for the life of me find the post.

13. Pikkon

I opened my snes and I'm rocking the same SNSP-CPU-02 as you,even have the SuperCIC as well.

I have 470uf caps on pins 1 and 24,think that's all I had at the time and for pin 7 I have a 68ohm.

14. Pikmin

Pikmin Resolute Member

Thanks for checking that Pikkon, appreciate it. I will use the 470uf when I try the mod again but I think I need to resolve the colour issue on the Composite and S-Video first if I can.

15. Pikkon

As for pin 7 and I just use this as it's more convenient.

[​IMG]

Pikmin likes this.
  16. Pikmin

Pikmin Resolute Member

With PIN 7 on Multi AV Out I get no video.
    (I've tried it twice that night and both times I tested with a multimeter for shorts between 7 and adjacent pins)

After that I tried PIN 23 for Y and got the same as the first time. Pretty good picture but colours not right.

Hopefully will know more tomorrow when I inspect the board and especially the S-ENC

17. Pikkon

Guess you don't have a crt with component,that would be the best test.

Nully likes this.
  18. Pikmin

Pikmin Resolute Member

I don't no, will see about testing a PS1 game on a PS2 with component as well

19. Pikmin

Pikmin Resolute Member

So far I've tested the S-ENC with the meter and the Multi AV Out, no bridges except for the two grounds on the Multi... I've also soldered in the new fuse holders
    Getting too late to do more. I thought I show what the output looks like over composite now after the failed mod and the attempt to revert

Attached Files:

20. Pikkon

What I would do is use your meter and see if there's any broken traces on the s-enc.