SNES Classic Coming Sep 29th, Includes 2 Controllers & 21 Games--Including the Unreleased Star Fox 2

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Kao, Jun 26, 2017.

1. Kao

Kao Gutsy Member

http://www.nintendo.com/super-nes-classic

The NES Classic was amazing, but you cannot beat the SNES' library--and so many of the system's greatest hits are here!

One exceptionally notable addition is Star Fox 2, a game that, as I'm sure you all know, never made it to market due to fear that it would pull attention away from the Nintendo 64's imminent release. Now, after over 20 years, it's getting an official release from Nintendo. Seeing official artwork and branding for this previously-unreleased Nintendo game is amazing.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Here's all the games:

Contra III: The Alien Wars

Donkey Kong Country

EarthBound

Final Fantasy III

F-ZERO

Kirby Super Star

Kirby's Dream Course

The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

Mega Man X

Secret of Mana

Star Fox

Star Fox 2

Street Fighter II Turbo: Hyper Fighting

Super Castlevania IV

Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts

Super Mario Kart

Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars

Super Mario World

Super Metroid

Super Punch-Out!!

Yoshi's Island

2. sayin999

sayin999 Officer at Arms

I'm pretty excited about it. Curious how differently final version of star fox 2 will be from rom that was leaked online. Dylan Cuthbert says version leaked online is an earlier version.

3. f2bnp

f2bnp Peppy Member

Here's hoping they will release a final build of Starfox 2 and not the alpha we already have!

Amazing news nonetheless. Also, glad to see the forums back online :).

4. Kao

Kao Gutsy Member

As I understand it, there were some bugs and a missing ending or something with the existing leaked SF2? Certainly whatever Nintendo publishes will be free of these issues. Even if the final build made for SF2 was incomplete, Nintendo is likely investing some resources to finalize the game for release. Must be fun digging into 20 year old code and fixing/finalizing things...

5. PixelButts

PixelButts Site Soldier

For the low low price of 200 Dollars

M. Bison and Charels like this.
  6. mspeter97

mspeter97 Robust Member

Cuthberd said he had a near finished build that was different from the one we have, so chances are it's a tweaked version of this one we'll have.

Also, am I the only one wondering if the Super FX emulation will be accurate?
    Make that 500

7. Greg2600

Greg2600 Resolute Member

Looks awesome, but not worth the pain and suffering to get one. Wonder if Nintendo will re-manufacture NES Classics again alongside?

8. -=FamilyGuy=-

-=FamilyGuy=- Site Supporter 2049

1 - Somehow buy a few at retail price
    2 - Sell them all on eBay for ridiculous profits
    3 - Feel a little bit like you sold your soul
    4 - Buy a raspberry pi with part of the profits to still play those games

9. MottZilla

MottZilla Champion of the Forum

Seems like a solid collection of games. Pretty surprising they are including Star Fox 2, considering they could have released it on Virtual Console all this time. Now I just hope someone can extract the ROM from it to see the differences. That and hopefully Nintendo doesn't under produce these things too. $80 is more than the NES one they did if I remember but this is a much better collection of games so I guess it justifies the higher price. And it comes with two controllers unlike the NES one. Which it would be a shame if this one didn't with games like Street Fighter 2, Contra, and Mario Kart on it.

The only part that really makes any difference to me is if Star Fox 2 can be ripped. I'd rather play these games on an actual SNES.

10. Rogue

Rogue Intrepid Member

Oh my... I wonder if they'll release a mini N64!

11. MottZilla

I imagine they will if there is a SoC powerful enough to run a good enough emulator in a year or two. They certainly like raking in cash for their back library. So as long as the nostalgia is there to get people to hand over money and the hardware and licensing is there they will do it. It's good that they've been able to get 3rd party titles in these two products so far. They would be much less appealing if they were stuck with only Nintendo owned titles.

12. alf717

alf717 Robust Member

13. speedyink

speedyink Site Supporter 2016

The only thing that interests me is Starfox 2. Holy crap, can't believe they're actually including it. If they use the supposed more finished rom that exists, I'm super stoked to see what they changed. I have some ideas, as there's a video on Youtube that shows some snippets of a more final English version. If I buy one of these, it's strictly for that game, lol.

14. Johnny

Johnny Gran Turismo Freak and Site Supporter 2013,2015

Would be interested on this, just like the NES Classic, if Nintendo weren't so stupid and incapable of supplying the demand.

15. AUSTIN PEYTON

AUSTIN PEYTON Gutsy Member

Star fox 2 is canon now
    noice

16. Pikkon

Pikkon "Moving in Stereo"

17. MottZilla

Why do they get Super Street Fighter II and we get SF2 Turbo? Makes no sense. Seems they get a Fire Emblem game as well.

18. la-li-lu-le-lo

la-li-lu-le-lo ラリルレロ

It's cool that they're releasing Star Fox 2, but other than that, this device doesn't interest me. I wish that, rather than releasing systems to play older games, Nintendo would rerelease some of their older games on cartridges. A lot of SNES games are pretty expensive now. I think the market for these would be huge; they would probably have difficulty keeping up with demand, like other things. I'm sure Nintendo have their reasons for not doing it, but just considering how much money they could make by doing this makes it kind of hard to understand why they aren't.

19. Sp33dFr34k

Sp33dFr34k Spirited Member

There are alternatives for that in the form of repro carts and Everdrives and alike. But it sure would be cool to see Nintendo rereleasing old SNES games on cartridges, that's for sure.

20. sayin999

sayin999 Officer at Arms

Super Street fighter 2 performed poorly here. Turbo sold really well in North America.