SNES black screen but...

Discussion in 'Repair, Restoration, Conservation and Preservation' started by Solo761, Sep 15, 2015.

1. Solo761

Solo761 Newly Registered

Hi all, I have one SNES (PAL SNSP-CPU-02) for some time and I've been unable to get it working.
    I connect it to TV using composite connection. And I use 9V DC adapter (tried few of them), as I don't have original one, although it says 9V AC on the back. But from what I've read it doesn't matter if I don't use RF out.

Now, the problem is that I get black screen in two games (Primal Rage, Tiny Toons Buster Busts Loose), but in third one (Sensible Soccer) I get Sensible Software splash screen, and it stays there.

I've tried cleaning contacts on game cars, I've disassembled SNES and cleaned cartridge slot (although there was no corrosion on it) and the board looks fine, no damage to naked eye.

Did anyone have issue like this one? It's strange that one cart displays something.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2015
  2. Mord.Fustang

Mord.Fustang Fiery Member

Try replacing the capacitors on it.. they're about 20 years old now.

http://assemblergames.com/l/threads/snes-corrupted-graphics-and-how-to-fix.53979/

3. Solo761

Solo761 Newly Registered

Went shopping yesterday, just replaced them but it's still the same.

Could it be that some address lines are damaged so it can't access data it needs? That could explain why one game can show splash screen on one game. It's located in address range that can be accessed, but can't continue further.

4. smilecitrus

smilecitrus Member

I had a console with a broken trace to the sound module that caused an issue similar to what you're describing. Some games would just give a black screen, but others would display the name of the publisher or developer and then freeze. It's no guarantee that's what the problem is, but it's something to check for, at least.

5. jonoghue

jonoghue Active Member

6. Solo761

Solo761 Newly Registered

Sorry for not replying sooner, I have a madhouse at work atm.

I'll have to find SNSP-CPU-02 schematic and trace every line. So far I haven't been lucky... Can I use similar schematic for NTSC version? I'd guess they're the same, at least as far cartridge slot and memory buses go. Main difference should be PSU part as PAL console can take 9V AC, and video encode / crystal because of 50 Hz output.

CPU is S-CPU A, I've just disassembled it and checked.