SNES AC Adapter repair

Discussion in 'Repair, Restoration, Conservation and Preservation' started by dc16, Apr 26, 2013.

1. dc16

dc16 Dauntless Member

I recently got a cracked SNES with a broken AC adapter. I'm looking through the web for a repair, rather than a replacement and I found this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiKS1leDIug
    The man in the video says if the transformer and that power wire inside the casing is useless, one can cut out the input wire, hook it up to an RCA connector. Then with a 12V 1amp generic power adapter, cut off a piece of cord and connect the exposed wire to another RCA connector. Is it a good idea to use a higher voltage adapter, as the 9V ones are crap enough?

2. Hedgeyourbets

Hedgeyourbets Dauntless Member

Why not just attach it to a generic 9v 1a adapter instead?

3. dc16

dc16 Dauntless Member

9V is crap enough, since it causes a buzzing sound.

Ah, I might just get a Radio Shack one from Console5, and strip and connect instead.

4. Hedgeyourbets

I don't think that's the voltage.... It might be your particular 9v adapter. I have many 9v adapters, none of which cause a buzzing sound for anything :p

5. dc16

dc16 Dauntless Member

My question is if it's okay to use a higher voltage and amperage, like 12V and 1A. The original adapter uses 10V and 850mA, and results with the 9V are bad already.

6. Hedgeyourbets

I *think* it should be ok but I'd wait for confirmation from someone else, a lot of people advocate the use of a hacked up megadrive adapter though, as many of us are aware i have a bit of an obsession with using the original adapters and failing that generic adapters but never the adapter from a different system! So I couldn't possibly advocate such a thing :p All my original snes adapters are 9v as far as I'm aware :/ (all four of my UK ones and my US one) hence my suggestion of 9v

Is it not possible that the 9v one you have/have heard about is just a bit rubbish?

Last edited: Apr 26, 2013
  7. dc16

dc16 Dauntless Member

I don't have a 9V one, and the one here in the states is the generic adapter, which is crap.

8. wilykat

wilykat Site Supporter 2013

Amp over 850mA is fine as SNES would only draw what it's needed, no more. You could hook up a 10v 100A power supply to a SNES, it'd be fine.

12v OTOH may make SNES a tad warmer. The voltage regulator inside has to restrict the voltage down to 5v for internal use, excess voltage ends up in the form of heat. 12v would make it run warmer than 10v. A 9v should have been fine, typical 7805 regulator can work with voltage as low as 7v.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2013
  9. wilykat

wilykat Site Supporter 2013

I'm going to try and make volt and amp a bit easier to understand. If you think electricity as water, the volt would be like the water pressure. Too much can make things run hotter and eventually burn out. Current is like the volume of water, you can't make the system take more current than it needs.

10. dc16

dc16 Dauntless Member

Fine, it looks like I'm going to need to find a power supply repairman in my area or get that Radioshack one.

11. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 Keyboard Error: Press F1 to Continue

Depends if its a regulated or unregulated power supply.

12. FireAza

FireAza Shake! Shake!

I had a non-working SNES AC adapter, turned out there was a break in the cable near where the wire is soldered to the PSU. Fixing it was a simple as cutting off a short bit of the wire and soldering it back the PSU. Have you tried this?

13. retrotech

retrotech Member

bit of a thread hijack here but im running illuminated rocker switches for my 5060 and jap switches in a megadrive2 and want to give them another 5v by tapping into somewhere else and piggybacking it across the switches...would i do any damage to internals?

14. dc16

dc16 Dauntless Member

15. LeHaM

LeHaM Site Soldier

If you want to replace the barrel jack don't use a panel mount like that, just get a Pcb mount, it will look stock then..

16. dc16

dc16 Dauntless Member

It would be so much easier if they sold Super Famicom backplates, since they look more or less the same.

17. LeHaM

LeHaM Site Soldier

Buy a junk one on eBay, salvage the jack and plate :)