SN-Systems - SN64 SRAM Development Cartridge - For N64

Discussion in 'Nintendo Game Development' started by Gerry_MAN, Dec 9, 2017.

1. Gerry_MAN

Gerry_MAN N64 Hardware Fanatic

Hi Folks,

I've been busy as all hell these past few months.... with work and other life endeavors that seem to take up all my free time. As a result I haven't had much off time to play in the Lab on any of my N64 related development projects....:(

I do have the odd moment here or there... to shop around and pickup some new N64 Dev gear. So I'm here once again with another "Show N' Tell" so to speak....with some images of the hardware for the archives.

My latest acquisition is a Nintendo N64 Development cartridge released by SN-Systems know as the:
    "SN64 Development cartridge."

Or if you manage to acquire the entire kit..... "SN64 Development Kit."

[​IMG]

So I have yet to set this unit up, but I do know that several people have already done this using a Windows98 or Windows2000 OS. So I don't really see there being too many issues to get it up and running.

I know the Software and the User manual are available from a few online sites... including Level42's Webpage:

http://ultra64.ca/

From what I gather the Drivers are part of the software package....and of course you still have to setup and install a SCSI interface card with an "HD50" interface. I have already done this from working on my other SCSI related projects.

Anyhow,
    Here are some pictures of the SN64 Development cartridge....
    both internal and external for you all to review:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Once again..... Pretty Awesome!! :cool:
    I'll eventually post a video of this system up and running onto my YouTube Channel, and I'll give a quick Demo of it for everyone to check out.

If anyone here has more in-depth pictures of the hardware, like the Power supply and it's specs.....
    or software discs, manuals or anything else from this Dev Kit that they would like to share here, please do so. :)

Or if any of you have specific details or questions about the system.... please post them here in this thread, and hopefully we can all share our knowledge about this system and have it all here for the archives. :cool:

Fun Stuff!!
    Cheers Folks,
    -Gerry

gwald, DS2, Zant and 5 others like this.
  2. Gerry_MAN

Hi All,

I'm hoping someone could post a few Photos of the DC power supply for this SN64 dev cart from SN-Systems.

I am primarily looking for the DC Output voltage and current ratings....to possibly find a suitable replacement. A hi-res photo of the power supplies specifications decal would be ideal. I have looked around online for some images....but no luck.

The image shown below was the only photo I could find online that actually had a pic of the DC power supply....however the resolution is not high enough to read the DC output specifications.

(Image source: https://n64squid.com)
    [​IMG] cur

Even the User's Manual for the Dev cart doesn't provide any details on the Power supply specs or requirements.

Anyone own one of these units in their collection that could help out? and post some Hi-Res photos?
    This would be a great help.
    Let me know.

Cheers!
    -Gerry

3. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

With unknown power supplies, I just trace out where the power connector leads to...

If its a voltage regulator (and doesnt get used anywhere else) - just look up the input voltage range of the regulator.

If the power connector leads directly to IC's - look up their datasheet and voltage.

Its normally not too hard to figure out. Once you know voltage - power it up with a bench PSU and note the current. You can replace the adapter with this information.

4. Gerry_MAN

Hi Bad_ad84,

Yeah, I had thought of doing that and have downloaded the component datasheets....
    but I still wanted to reach out to the community first.... to see if the True specs could be shown.

I'll do this as a last resort.

I'm still hoping a simple photo can be posted of the official power supply specs.

Thanks for the Tip!! :)
    -Gerry

5. cmonkey

cmonkey Rising Member

How's this for you?

If you want any other pics of the SN64 dev kit then let me know. I have a complete in box SN64 dev kit and also a complete in box Maestro 64 from SN Systems too.

Please keep up the amazing work you're doing on researching and documenting the history of dev hardware on the N64, it's fascinating to read whenever you post. :)

IMG_20181008_194651.jpg
    IMG_20181008_194731.jpg

6. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

I was going to say 5v, considering no voltage regulator in the pics.

But good to be confirmed.

7. Gerry_MAN

Yeah I was chatting with Marshall on IRC and he mentioned the same thing... he said an Iomega Zip drive power supply would suffice, and that the original supply for this cart is actually very similar to the first-gen NeoGeo AES power supply.
    Good to know I thought. ;)

So for the record:

Official Power supply Specs:
    Brand name: UNIV Power Switching Adapter
    Model NO: SA-051A5F-10
    INPUT: 100-250V ~ 47-63Hz 0.3A
    OUTPUT: 5V DC @ 1.5A (Center +Positive DC connector.)
    Class 2 Power Supply

Thanks for the quick feedback guys.
    This is really Great!! :cool:

@cmonkey
    Thanks for the positive feedback...and for posting those pics!!
    I still have lots of other N64 Dev hardware pieces I would like to DEMO...
    Working with each when I can find the time.
    Such a Blast!

Anyhow,
    If you can post some images of the MAESTRO power supply and Cart as well...that would be really Great!

Cheers!
    -Gerry

Last edited: Oct 9, 2018