SMS games through 32x via flash cartridges?

Discussion in 'Sega Discussion' started by reprep, Mar 2, 2013.

1. reprep

reprep Gutsy Member

2. Chilly Willy

Chilly Willy Robust Member

No. I know a couple people who have tried, and these were people who know their stuff.

3. nesboy43

nesboy43 Active Member

Sadly it doesn't appear that there is any way to do this. The guy who makes Everdrives has even said that it isn't possible to boot SMS games when a 32x is on. Even if you put a powerbase converter on the 32x it will not work. This does make it annoying to have to swap out the 32x when I want to play SMS games but without some heavy hardware modifications it's impossible.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2013
  4. Chilly Willy

The only real way to do this is a Master System emulator for the 32X. This is actually easier to do than it sounds... all the SH2 has to do is emulate the Z80, cart, and ram. You put the VDP into Mode 4 and then the 68000 watches for In/Out commands, and commands to read/write the save ram.

The "tough" part is that the Z80 emulation needs to be 100% assembly to be fast enough. Mic did a GameBoy emulator for the 32X that could serve as an example as the cpu core is almost the same as the z80 and is in assembly language.

5. reprep

reprep Gutsy Member

thanks for the kind answers. i don't have the spacers for 32x and i have a model 2 sega mega drive. so it will be a hassle to disconnect it and replug it, but there is nothing to do i guess. well except for buying an extra sega mega drive for SMS games. :smile-new: i am sure my life will love the idea to have 2 sega mega drives connected to our TV in the living room. they will surely get along well with the famicom,nes,wii,ps3 and N64 and make me one step closer for a big fight :smile-new:.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2013
  6. Chilly Willy

I use my CDX for playing SMS games, and the model 2 for the 32X. It's easier that way. :)