Resolved Small doubt about new rule: "No fundraisers"

Discussion in 'Site Help and Suggestions' started by iiAlexLiveii, Oct 22, 2017.

1. iiAlexLiveii

iiAlexLiveii Rapidly Rising Member

Hi! I saw there's a new rule that doesn't allow fundraisers and I'd like to be explained a bit further, I remember this website is maintained by fundraisers once every year, I participated in the previous one, as a community most of us put something in return to what we get from here. How would the new rule apply? Only to external fundraisers whatever the cause or everything in general? Thank you for your time! :)

DeChief likes this.
  2. ASSEMblergames_Admin

ASSEMblergames_Admin Administrator

No fund raiser to fund beta releases.

Money can be raised on another site.

For legal reasons, there can be no money raising on the forum.

The rule will be clarified.

3. iiAlexLiveii

iiAlexLiveii Rapidly Rising Member

Allright, thanks for the answer! :)

4. pstrick1

pstrick1 Site Supporter

Is there a specific incident that has caused you to implement this, or are you just being careful?

5. brirec

brirec Active Member

I know you say the rule will be clarified, but I want to share my questions in hopes that they will be addressed:

The OP in this topic (and I guess the rule change itself) suggest that the forum is sponsored by fundraisers/donations. If that has previously been the case, what is going to fund the site now?

I’m too new of a member to really know about site fundraisers in the past; forgive me if I am completely missing something big.

Is this site going to become filled with ads? I hope not, because I’m sure there are other ways to monetize it (taking a percentage from sold classifieds?) and the interface is perfect as is. I mean I’m not trying to kid myself, the site has virtually no homepage, no news, essentially the front page is a forum index, and I’m sure that doesn’t keep the lights on at all… but what’s gonna be done to change that? Whatever it is, it should be more than nothing (unless there’s a donation button and enough people participate to keep the roof on). I specifically say this because I don’t want the admin team or moderators to start volunteering any more actual money than absolutely necessary to keep this site alive — I would rather see this site kept alive on “life support” for a little while than for it to “die,” but at the same time if the bills become paid directly by the admin team it starts to raise questions of where the site is headed.

Nobody wants to spend time and money on something that doesn’t reward them, so if the hosting is paid for by anonymous “admin team” staff then it raises concerns of opinion and bias.

I get the feeling that you (the anonymous Admin Team) have a real sense of direction as to where you want this site to be. But I’d like know more specifically, and perhaps to have a huge, open suggestion box. I’m pretty sure most people agree that this site is what it is because of the members.

(and that isn’t meant to diminish the incredible amount of work Kevin has done on it — I hope he’s doing well and that the change in administration will allow him to focus on himself...I’m personally more than really worried…)

But still, point I’m trying to make is that if the site becomes directly sponsored by people whose interests needn’t necessarily lay in the growth of this site and its dedication to obscure gaming and the artifacts thereof, what will the site become? I come here because I know if I need help regarding repair or conservation at least one or more people can help for sure. And because AssemblerGames is basically a haven for unreleased or beta content. And because overall, this community is one dedicated to preservation...

the combination of this site combined with the collections of its members is certainly the largest museum of video game history, IN ALL OF HISTORY.

Put it this way. Towards the end of last year, on November 17th, 2016, the largest library of music in the entire world disappeared overnight. I’m referring to What.CD. That site was so much clearer of a violation of copyright laws and so on, but nevertheless it was the absolute largest music library in the world...and like the library of Alexandria it burned to the ground overnight.

This site is much less illegal than What.CD — most or all of what’s here is either completely legal, or falls into a gray area that might as well be completely legal — yet it’s no less important. While What.CD was a BitTorrent tracker for anything musical known to man, AssemblerGames is a forum with knowledge and information and dumps and stories and so on of video games for as far as the eye can see.

What matters most to me is that even without Kevin, AssemblerGames keeps moving forward. It’s begun a life of its own, and it could become world renowned or it could run itself into the ground, and I really don’t want to see the latter of those happen.

I hope that this site will remain being beautiful for what it is, and I hope that Kevin is going to be able to take better care of himself without having to keep in charge. If anyone doesn’t think that the well-being of a person is more important than the health of a site they manage, that’s selfishness.

Welp, I’m rambling. But at least once or twice every single day I check the news on this site because it is so important to me. I hope to see this site continue to blossom, and I hope that relinquishing control of it will help Kevin out.

6. Bramsworth

Bramsworth Well Known Member

I'm not sure if there's just not enough clarification given, but I took the no fundraisers rule to specifically refer only to people asking for money to release ROMs. I don't think it applies to fundraising for website admin costs? Correct me if I'm wrong.

7. brirec

brirec Active Member

I hope this is the case. Accepting money in exchange for releasing a rare ROM only complicates legal issues in the first place, so I certainly don’t fault anyone for wanting to not have to worry about that. (What, are you wondering how people would talk about this in the first place? “Take it outside,” you can totally talk quietly to a neighbor or something.)

That’s what I hope. If this site needs some help to keep moving on, that’s fine too. I just don’t want to see AG get into any sort of legal trouble.

8. -=FamilyGuy=-

-=FamilyGuy=- Site Supporter 2049

@brirec

This rule means no fundraiser for beta releases on the forum anymore. IIRC, people would be free to do a fundraiser elsewhere and maybe even mention it here, but it must be managed elsewhere. Not a big change I think.

The fundraiser to pay for forums cost shouldn't be affected by this rule.

9. brirec

brirec Active Member

Well, then I for one am entirely in favor of this rule change.

If the site doesn’t directly allow fundraisers for the likes of that, that could potentially relieve it of a lot of legal risk. Nobody wants legal issues, even if it’s a clear cut case — it still takes time, money, or both to win a clear cut case.

Additionally, there are so many open source dumping systems that can be purchased or built for cheap enough to do on a hobby budget. For things that aren’t as obscure as, say, a developer 64DD disk or a Dolphin NPDP disk, dumping no longer requires special equipment or anything.

As far as something like those dev disks go, that’s something that starts to get tougher, but even then having discussions regarding money to dump something elsewhere will help foster the growth of another forum too.

I dunno, it just seems like a good idea with little or no negative effects.

arnoldlayne and -=FamilyGuy=- like this.
  10. subbie

subbie Guardian of the Forum

No you are correct. Its directly in regards to people saying I have X and i'll release a dump of the rom/image people pitch in to raise $Y.