Slot Machines / One armed bandits for MAME ?

Discussion in 'Arcade and Supergun' started by ItsMeMario, Jan 14, 2017.

1. ItsMeMario

ItsMeMario Gutsy Member

Heya,

since I add more and more stuff to my MAME cabinet now and then, I thought of adding some "Slot Machines" or "One Armed Bandits".

You know, like those really simple, yet addictive flash games you can find across the net.
    (one button press, raise bet)

[​IMG]

Especially interested in Novoline or Merkur stuff, beeing aware there is close to nothing for MAME :

Did such stuff ever get dumped anyway ?

And those MAME games that I found werent working in MAME, or looked very, very (!) messy. (?)

Im aware there are "Windows Slots" that you can buy on CD and stuff, but I was hoping there are some funny ones for MAME as well, that I wasnt able to find yet.

I really really want to stay in the MAME environment to "keep it simple".

Maybe some of you can point me towards the right direction.

Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

2. CRTGAMER

CRTGAMER Robust Member

There are older version of Mame that supports the video gambling games as well as a simulated to Rom Pong. Support was removed due to a different category versus emulated Arcade games.

3. retro

retro Resigned from mod duty 15 March 2018

Fruit machines. Lots of those were emulated.

4. rso

rso °

Since MAME stands for Multiple Arcade Machine Emulator, fruit is out of its scope. You want MFME, the Multiple Fruit Machine Emulator, and no this isn't me making a pun here, instead.

ItsMeMario likes this.
  5. retro

Fruit machines ARE arcade machines. AWP, if you want the correct term. They're just not emulated in MAME, thankfully ;)

If you say "arcade machine" to anyone in the trade when you're talking about a cabinet with a CRT and controls, you will get the response, "ohhh... you mean a VIDEO!"

You really should be putting a front end on your machine, then you can use all the emulators AND flash games you want seamlessly.

rso likes this.
  6. rso

rso °

Not trying to start an argument, but that may differ by country? In Germany there's a clear distinction between "the MAME stuff" (as well as stuff like pinball, air hockey etc, all of which give you no tickets or prices aside from the occasional free play), which minors are (well, "were"... that scene's dead these days) allowed to play, and fruit machines/gambling devices which you need to be 18+ to play (at least now that they aren't installed in bars any more afaict). They aren't even installed in the same venues, and haven't ever been as far as I can remember.

And about those machines being dumped... They often have seriously heavy security on them - not only the "protect teh monies" kind, but also tamper proofing, including suicide functionality (like having a light sensor to erase everything when you open the sealed case etc, I think I even saw a documentary where they had a gas filled container and an oxygen sensor inside). Impressive stuff, hard to get around. Combine that with people wanting to play one of these at home being a rather small minority... Can't say I've seen a lot of those games around in any form; most of the time people seem to be content with owning the whole physical machines (probably also because of the haptics). But then again I'm not very interested in gambling in the first place, so take that with a grain pot of salt.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2017
  7. retro

Fruit machines are ALWAYS found in arcades here in the UK. Arcades being the building in which you find video games, fruit machines and such. AWP = amusement with prize. You'll have no difficulty finding a fruit machine in a local chip shop or pub in the UK. And yeah, they are pretty dull, but fine if you like that sort of thing ;)

How would you define a whack-a-mole? It's an arcade machine. How about a boxing machine? Likewise, an arcade machine. Penny pushers? Still arcade machines. Pinballs? A type of arcade machine. As are air hockey tables. All those games that give out tickets? Yup... arcade machines. You'd often find for much of the Eighties, Nineties and beyond here that a good portion of an arcade was NOT video games.

Arcade game is a REALLY broad description. It basically means a machine found in an arcade. A bit like saying "road vehicle" - well, that's cars, vans, lorries, motorbikes, trikes, bicycles.....

MAME is a poor acronym, used because it makes a catchy acronym. It doesn't emulate anything other than video slot machines. MVSME isn't good, though! ;) Maybe MultiVAGemu? lol ...perhaps not ;)

8. rso

rso °

> All those games that give out tickets?
    No such thing over here. You win money (which is gambling, and only for adults in adult(-ish) venues), or nothing at all. Therefore Germans have a clear distinction here, unlike the UK. Thus, "may differ by country". But as I said, I don't feel like fighting about semantics.

> Maybe MultiVAGemu?
    Oh, you mean the Nuremberg edition of Bus Simulator?
    [​IMG]
    we also have emergency gynecologist services!
    [​IMG]

9. retro

God, that's terrible! lol

It's probably changed now, but we used to have a curtain for the over 18s area with the "big win" fruities. There were 5p a go with £5 jackpot machines that under 18s could play in the Eighties and Nineties that weren't behind the curtain. I very much doubt that is the case now.

I was at EAG the other week, and a LOT of the machines were ticket ones. All this sort of thing....

http://www.bmigaming.com/games-arcade-ticketredemption.htm

[​IMG]

Nothing is sacred....
    [​IMG]

You'd have a prize counter and (like the fairground rides) the big prizes cost stupid amounts of tickets. Kids usually end up walking out with a packet of Jelly Beans and a keyring lol.

[​IMG]

The big thing now is the Spongebob / Marvel etc. trading card machines. They're pushers that dispense trading cards, not coins.

Arcades nowadays in the UK are pretty much AWPs and ticket machines with a handful of video games, maybe.

[​IMG]

10. MetalliC

MetalliC Spirited Member

I can recommend games on Igrosoft platform (multfish.cpp in MAME) - nice looking and quite funny
    http://www.progettoemma.net/

ItsMeMario likes this.
  11. ItsMeMario

ItsMeMario Gutsy Member

While I would agree that nothing beats the charme of a real fruit machine hanging at your wall...I dont have the room for it ^^

rso likes this.