Slim Ps2 repair hopefully

Discussion in 'Repair, Restoration, Conservation and Preservation' started by abazz009, Nov 6, 2018.

1. abazz009

abazz009 Member

Hey everyone so I need some advice on this repair..

So today I was modding up this slim Ps2. Last time I touched it I had done a controller led mod. And the soldering was terrible..so I removed my previous work. And while doing so I pulled up some electrical tape that was on the board and it ended up pulling a tiny capacitor with it.

The capacitor didn't look to damaged so I re soldered it. Ps2 powered on then turned off 2 seconds later. So I removed the capacitor and as you can see the solder and the pads has become a huge blob.
    20181106_145958.jpg
    Now according to the schematic for the 7000 series shows 3 capacitors.. Mine only had the one which I circled in red. The other 2 didn't exist but there was little pads for them .. but those little pads are all one larger pad. I tried braid and liquid Flux but all its doing is making the pad larger... It appears they all connect together anyways (at least the one side so the larger pad should be fine in the end)
    Screenshot_20181106-145344_Drive.jpg

Now I searched for a good picture of the bottom of the board but couldn't find one. I'm trying to figure out if I just need that single capacitor or all 3. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance

2. zzattack

zzattack Spirited Member

The copper color on the left one reveals there never was anything there in the first place.
    Your gut saying there wasn't anything there is probably correct.

3. Nully

Nully Dauntless Member

What board revision, I have a box full of slim motherboards I can likely find one that matches yours to take a picture of.

GH-*****

4. abazz009

abazz009 Member

Good point! The schematic just threw me off.

That would be perfect! Should of added that to the post but the revision is
    Gh-037-11

Much appreciated

Nully likes this.
  5. Nully

Nully Dauntless Member

I have 6 70xx series and all start with GH-040. Is your PS2 NTSC-U? Guess I won't be of much help unfortunately.

Here's some board revisions from 7xxx series, hopefully they help. https://imgur.com/a/QM7XYg6

Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
  6. abazz009

abazz009 Member

Yeah it's a ntsc-u, thanks for those pictures! they are definitely different but not alot at least not in the area I'm looking.. All those board seem to be missing the components in question

Another odd thing is VDR301 doesn't appear on the parts list.. And that code would mean it's a thermistor not a capacitor ... But I'm certain it's a cap based on the color... It's tan versus black.. So if a cap was soldered into the place of the thermistor which is C3102 which is on the parts list

CAP,SMD,CER 1000PF 10% 50V 1608 X7R

So I guess I find and order one. Which according to my searches so far 1 will set me back about $7 hmm

7. TriMesh

TriMesh Site Supporter 2013-2017

I would clean up the pads and solder the replacement 1nF cap to the pads on the left (the ones marked C3102 on the layout drawing).

There is currently a huge MLCC shortage, but even given that $7 for one cap sounds insane.

8. abazz009

abazz009 Member

By clean up you mean to use de-solder braid and liquid Flux? Every time I try that it just seems to spread. . almost like the braid is removing the coating of the board. Iv never worked on this board before is the coating really that fragile or is this solder just being a pain?

Scratch the $7 I ordered 3 1nf caps with different part numbers their sizes are all different (within 0.1mm of each other) but one of them should be the one I'm after as all the numbers match (package size, dielectric etc) I spent a grand total of 50cents on all 3... Came with free overnight shipping.. Which seems crazy but it's not my first time ordering from them. For whatever reason when I first looked there I couldn't find them this time I did. The site is called arrow if anyone is interested.

Another thing to note is the Ps2 does go I to stand by when it's plugged it. Didn't attempt to turn it on, but it at least powering on to that point to me seems like a good sign

9. TriMesh

What sort of soldering iron are you using? Normally the solder mask is fairly stable unless overheated, in which case it tends to flake off in the way your photo shows. Just make sure that the board is well-cleaned enough that there is no risk of a short and be done with it.

The other thing is that as far as I can see the console should work even with that cap missing (it's just decoupling), so if it's not working then you likely have some other problem.

10. abazz009

abazz009 Member

It's a fairly expensive station maybe more on the budget end. It's an xtronic 6000 series. Definitely not your 15$ pencil. I'm soldering at 295c. No trouble with og Xboxs which is what I'm normally working on.

I made an attempt to power on and the Ps2 doesn't respond it stays in standby.... I will make more attempts at cleaning the solder off at a lower temp and hopefully I can get it off

I really appreciate the guidance!

11. Nully

Nully Dauntless Member

Check the fuses.

abazz009 likes this.
  12. TriMesh

OK, it looks like it's using the type of iron originally used on the Hakko 936, which should be fine...

Check to see if the rail is shorted to the ground plane.

abazz009 likes this.
  13. abazz009

abazz009 Member

Hey nully and trimesh!

Had a busy day yesterday no time for the Ps2. But I received the replacement capacitors and installed the one that was pretty much the perfect size. Cleaned up the solder the best that was allowed even bought some name brand braid. the mask is definitely flaking.

Checked the fuse that's ok, and the pads are connected to the ground plane...

But it's all working now! Controllers both work. Boots up fine left it on for about 10minutes all seems good. I really appreciate the help and advice! 20181109_062059.jpg

TriMesh and Nully like this.