Sky Broadband woes!

Discussion in 'Off Topic Discussion' started by Parris, Jul 30, 2008.

1. Parris

Parris I'm only here to observe...

I've had Sky Broadband for slightly under 2 years now and I am sick to death of it.

From day one I had issues with their service and the only real reason I have remained with them was A) at the time Virgin hadn't installed optical cables anywhere near us B) it was the fastest package available and lastly C) it was cheap!

At present I am paying for a 16Mbps service. I am 187meters from my local exchange and the 3 ADSL tests show I should be able to obtain the speed I am paying for. Clearly, I am not expecting it all the time, but would you like to know what I am on just now?

66Kbps

Yep, that's the speed that the ISP has reduced my line down to in order to conduct testing on the line. Whenever they attempt to increase the line speed my connection drops out irrespective of whether they use ADSL 1 or 2, the attenuation was low at 16% and all the equipment appears to be working properly.

However, at least twice a week I lose my connection and it can take approximately 24hrs for it to return.

I've jumped through every Sky hoop, every test, sat for hours (thank God it's free) on the telephone, replaced the filters, checked cables and Sky even replaced the router.

Can they find the problem? No they cannot!

Anyone got any suggestions for a new, reliable, cheap & relatively fast ISP? I've heard Virgin Media are good, but I hate Virgin Trains with such a passion that it hurts me to put a single penny in Richard Branson's pocket.

I need a wireless router, at least 8Mbps and that's it really - you'd think it was simple, but thus far it's been nothing but pain!

2. DNess17

DNess17 Member

I have time warner. It's a 10 megabyte connection speed for 30 a month and it doesn't give me any troubles.

3. DeMoN X

DeMoN X Rapidly Rising Member

Can you get Be* in your area?

Telewest/NTL used to be good before VM took over now its STM and terrible upload speeds, The only good thing about them is you can avoid STM by using certain equipment. ;-) I can't say much more than that unless assembler lets me lol

4. diddydonn

diddydonn Familiar Face

Im assuming by STM you are referring to the traffic management they have now imposed?

It was annoying enough when the capped speed on the evenings, but now they are doing it in the daytime as well it is pissing me off

I am paying for the 10mb service, but only getting 4mb as they have yet to upgrade the speeds round here, not only that but when they cap the speed it goes down to 1mb! so for 10 hours of the day my speed is shite, and whats most annoying is the only thing i use the pc for in the daytime is watching BBC iplayer and uploading photos for ebay use, which is mostly unuseable once the speedcap kicks in!

5. DeMoN X

I don't get why their even considering 50mb at this point. Their network can barely handle 20mb atm.

6. andoba

andoba Site Supporter 2014

I've got 6 Mb. The node is in the next house, literally, its infront of me. I get around 300 Kbps and the line is fiber optic.

Yay.

7. Parris

I really don't know which way to jump with this as I hear a lot of grumbles about VM. I hate this UK attitude that when discussing speed of the Internet they suggest speeds that simply don't exist given the current technology and the ISPs tinkerings! We really haven't invested in the infrastructure.

Anyone using BT Broadband? Expensive nonsense?

I was perfectly happy with AOLs service two or three years ago, but when I moved they just couldn't offer me as good a rate (cost) or speed. Now I see that they are clogging up the PCs arteries and the software is dubious.

Sigh!

Last edited: Jul 31, 2008
  8. DeMoN X

AOL more like LOL :dance:

Enter your postcode here to find out what services you can get from your exchange :

http://www.samknows.com/broadband/search.php

If Be/02 is listed then i would pick them considering im using Be* in my other house and i don't get any download limits/phorm/stm etc.. Compared to VM its so much better the only thing that limits you is the line length to the exchange hence I can only get Be Value @ 8Mbit / 1.3Mbit upload.

The package at £22 has a 2.5Mbit upload but I think you have to be close to the exchange to get that :(

Check out :

https://www.bethere.co.uk/
    http://broadband.o2.co.uk/

9. devzone

devzone Robust Member

Try contacting virgin to enquire about when they will be installing optics in your area and possibly try and wait without going insane ?

I wish you the best of luck

10. Parris

I'll check that out -thanks! ;-)

11. DeMoN X

I forgot to say, 02 uses the same network as Be* but with slightly slower download/upload speeds. I would only recommend it if you had an 02 mobile contract tbh since its cheaper.

12. Yakumo

Yakumo Pillar of the Community *****

like everything in the UK, you get fucked over good and propper. From what I know there isn't 1 single service in the UK that doesn't give you a problem of some sort.

Yakumo

13. Jackhammer

Jackhammer Peppy Member

Blueyonder was a very good isp, then Virgin had to spoil it. The only thing that keeps me with Virgin is the free newsgroup access and the fact that I'm at work all day so I download on an evening.

14. Yakumo

Free newsgroup access? EVERYTHING should be free. Pay your monthly charge then after that everything should be unlimited. Japan was one of the slowest modern countries to get on the internet bandwagon but even here they know stuff like capping speed, download limitations or crippled access is a big no no. I pay 2500 yen a month for my connection (about 13 pounds) with no limitations at all and that's on a 100MBPS line. I don't get that mind you but I do get download rates well in the MB area.

Yakumo

15. Parris

Jesus, that's just Buzz light years away from the UK! Virgin Media currently have a huge advert campaign on with a tag line which is "The MOTHER of all broadband" and they are patting on their own backs about 20Mb fibre optics connection, with all the usual capping and limitations etc.

Sigh! :rolleyes:

16. DeMoN X

Btw, its not fibre optic. I'm not sure how they are allowed to get away with saying that because its copper coax (Much slower than fibre)

@ Yakumo - Whats your average download and upload speeds?

Last edited: Aug 1, 2008
  17. Paulo

Paulo PoeticHalo

Its fibre optic to a certain point then when its routed to your house its via coax. The main part is optic though.

Edit:

http://informitv.com/articles/2008/02/06/virginmediacleared/

Last edited: Aug 1, 2008
  18. Yakumo

Hard to say really since most western site are slow. If I'm downloading from multiple sources I can have about 15 to 20 connections all doing at least 5mbp. The problem is that my PC just locks up because it's so slow. The fastest ever download speed from a single source was 26mbp from Capcom Japan's site. Downloaded a MPEG file in only a few seconds.

Yakumo

19. DeMoN X

This is advertised as Fibre optic. £37 pm! woohoo. lol.. they upgraded the 4Mbit customers to 10Mbit today and you can see its been a great sucksess for the customers.

Clearly the mother of all broadband is here folks..

[​IMG]

20. the_steadster

the_steadster Site Soldier

Be seconded. we have it here in london, and we're I think 2km from the exchange and get 13mbit/s down and 1.3mbit/s up for £18 I think, and with no limits or general crap