SJWs attack Nolan Bushnell before his GDC prize was delivered

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by KGRAMR, Feb 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KGRAMR

KGRAMR Gaming aficionado raised by family & friends.

This happend 2 days ago and this still pisses me off :mad:
    https://www.theverge.com/2018/1/30/16952294/nolan-bushnell-gdc-pioneer-award-2018
    Guess who was the one who started all this? Take a little guess...

-Edit by Mod-
    For those visiting from outside the forums. The management of this forum does not agree with the sentiments echo in this thread. I apologize for any offence taken for trying to allow discussion over the topic in relations to Nolan Bushnell himself.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2018
    Gamesquest1 likes this.
  2. runwhiteboyrun

runwhiteboyrun Active Member

KGRAMR I usually enjoy anything you post but get that SJW bullshit outta here. Yes it was a different time, so standards were different. I have complete understanding about that. But you can't understand when other people have an issue celebrating this type of shit?

"Steven L. Kent’s 2001 book The Ultimate History of Video Games describes how much Bushnell liked to have “fun” at work — sometimes, a very sexually aggressive form of fun — and “made sure that the men around him agreed with his philosophy.” They “held meetings in hot tubs, drank heavily, experimented with drugs... Sometimes Atari board meetings seemed more like fraternity parties than business meetings.”

Yeah being a woman in the environment of "sexually agressive form of fun at work" sure sounds appealing. That said, the man deserves recognition for what he brought to games. But getting called out on your shit happens. Own it and move on.

DeChief, MBMM and dizzzy like this.
  3. pstrick1

pstrick1 Site Supporter

"Atari held board meetings in a hottub."

The 70s were gross.

MBMM and -=FamilyGuy=- like this.
  4. runwhiteboyrun

It was a different time for sure. But it doesn't excuse treating people badly.

Plus, the frothy shmegma of water that hot tub had to be is just disturbing.

MBMM likes this.
  5. PixelButts

PixelButts Site Soldier

The king is back baby
    1497904165232.gif
    In other, less angering news
    1495307512397.jpg

GamerNumber1, MBMM and runwhiteboyrun like this.
  6. KGRAMR

Last edited: Feb 1, 2018
  7. runwhiteboyrun

Dude I was not pissed off, and the thread should stay open for discussion if it is meant to be. I just didn't agree with what you said, that is all.

MBMM likes this.
  8. KGRAMR

Oh ok :)

9. subbie

subbie Guardian of the Forum

I think the thread can stay for now but please keep the whole SJW stuff off the forums.

Times were different back then but that does not excuse his behavior.

MBMM and PixelButts like this.
  10. zoom

zoom Member

It was convulsive. I remember saying "Women's Lib is dead" when Charlies Angels came on the tube in 76. Wiki tells me the Mary Tyler Moore Show was still running -- went from 70 to 77 -- and IIRC there was some controversy in the network when that started, over MTM choosing to appear in slacks, instead of a skirt. Apparently this was a first, for a main character in a mainstream show.

11. arnoldlayne

arnoldlayne Resolute Member

Seems to me his only crime was holding meetings in hot tubs and liking women - there are no tales of violence or aggressive behaviour in the article posted. Nobody has stepped up to say "He did this..." or "He did that, and now I'm coming forward to expose his evil ways, etc..."

I quote (from the link in OP)

"a very sexually aggressive form of fun" = "held meetings in hot tubs, drank heavily, experimented with drugs"

Is the author of the article aware of the meaning of "aggressive"?

Maybe they're right, maybe we should ban hot tubs, ban alcohol and drugs - especially marijuana which we all know is a one-way ticket to Hell.

Of course, no mention of the thousands, and thousands of jobs people like Nolan will have helped create for women, as a result of the popularity of their companies, which will eventually stretch into the millions as time passes. Yeah, I guess that's not really worth mentioning.

But hot tubs? A t-shirt with "I like to fuck" written on it? Is that the best they can do - and enough to convince a panel he's a demon?

Everyone should have meetings in hot tubs (my wife's words, not mine)

Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
  12. PixelButts

PixelButts Site Soldier

Isn't this what everyone in the 70s-80s did? Is this not why we have lava lamps, tie-dye, and shag carpet.
    Even my mother had fun in those years (her first experience with weed had it laced with angel dust, and that was a bad time, dont do drugs). Compared to now she wouldn't go and do any of it again but even she says it was a different time.

13. GodofHardcore

GodofHardcore Paragon of the Forum *

When I defended Nolan on Twitter, Childish SJWs were attacking me faster than I could hurl insults and I had a class so I didn't have time to respond.

When Nolan didn't stick up for himself I gave up.

Anyways this shouldn't be a shock GDC has been corrupted and hijacked by SJWs.

http://thegg.net/opinion-editorial/...me-development-isnt-even-about-games-anymore/

Want to know something truly terrifying though?

Brianna Wu is running for Congress in a rather liberal state.

14. KGRAMR

She's the one who did this to Nolan. And while there's people who disagree with my opinion (and that's OK, i won't attack you for it), think about this...imagine how screwed up the laws by Brianna would be if she managed to get in the congress.

15. GodofHardcore

I hope the people of Massachusetts know better. She's trying to be hip and Campaign on Twitch and seems to be ignoring the normal electorate entirely. So hopefully she doesn't get in.

Edit: She's running against a Democrat who is tenured so her chances don't look good.

16. PixelButts

PixelButts Site Soldier

There was a time during GamerGate where I stepped in and not only got death threats, but also got compared to ISIS
    Unfortunately my initial message of "dont let em bug you" turned into mansplaining and made good ol Frank Cifaldi block me (@Borman pass him an apology for me if he'll take it)

When confronted with mass aggression from for (the most part) animals, I find a good solution is just out crazy them. The sooner it gets more intense than they're willing to go is when they finally stop.

17. GodofHardcore

My favorite SJW argument I got recently is "Misandry doesn't exist" Yet it's the root of nearly every SJW movement and cause. Including this witch hunt on an industry legend.

They say they're anti fascists yet...they're Fascist. It's freakin Animal farm and they're Napoleon.

18. PixelButts

PixelButts Site Soldier

I'm gonna stop reading right there and say, whatever it was, whatever the motivation was, wherever it took all involved, was dumb

19. pato

pato Resolute Member

this #MeToo is just another shenanigans movement in a gynocentric society.

Why do you complain about something with a dude that suposedly happened 20 years ago WITH YOUR CONSENT and still worked with him until many years later?

20. Johnny

Johnny Gran Turismo Freak and Site Supporter 2013,2015

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.