Sixaxis/DualShock 3 prototype question

Discussion in 'Sony Programming and Development' started by Panek, May 24, 2019.

1. Panek

Panek Member

Hi guys,

I've got a question about a prototype/development/reference Sixaxis/DualShock 3 pad.
    It's the one that has two miniUSBs on top, the model is MSU REV3 M2, made by ALPS.

Inside, it has this weird metal housing which I have always assumed to be the internal battery. But, all DualShock batteries are wired to a connector, while this thing has three cables going out of it that are soldered straight to the board. The inputs are: FR+, FR- and FG. I assume the G stands for Ground, but that about the FR pins?

Am I wrong in assuming that this is the battery? The pad doesn't have standard vibration motors, probably because of the lawsuits going on with Sony and Immersion at the time. So could this be Sony's take on vibration feedback, some sort of weird contraption that they've been working on at the time? Or maybe it's a gyroscope? Or something else entirely? Or actually just a battery like I assumed?

I don't see any way to take it off safely and take apart, looks like it's glued to the board.

[​IMG]