Help Request Site status as of 2018

Discussion in 'Site Help and Suggestions' started by ASSEMbler, Mar 14, 2018.

1. darcagn

darcagn Site Supporter 2013, Site Supporter 2014

Kevin, if you read this, PLEASE make FamilyGuy a moderator or admin. He absolutely deserves the honor and is very trustworthy.

No matter what has happened in the last year or so, this situation can still be fixed. This site and its community is still extremely important, and it's not too late to prevent it from being lost forever.

uyjulian, Arcadia, SiZiOUS and 2 others like this.
  2. Durandal

Durandal Spirited Member

I honestly don't know why you guys are still here.

3. Diablodin

Diablodin Robust Member

Because of the resources, the community and the network imo.
    Do you know of any good alternatives?

4. PixelButts

PixelButts Site Soldier

Wasn't @Bad_Ad84 the one that we were suggesting take this spot, especially since he offered?

5. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

I highly doubt he would make me any sort of staff.

Ive offered a few times over the years and been completely ignored.

Besides, I owe Kevin for the privilege of posting here as per his last messages. I think I'd need to pay up what I owe first or something.

6. -=FamilyGuy=-

-=FamilyGuy=- Site Supporter 2049

All I can say is that I was offered a mod position. I think Bad would be Good.

I really don't care about getting the position myself, I do want *someone* to be a mod though.

I'm volunteering myself because it I've been offered the position before by Kevin and I think he trusts me. I don't care about internet egos and power, I just don't want this place to die.

Last edited: May 8, 2019
    Bens411 and PixelButts like this.
  7. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

I agree, anyone whos going to help keep this place going is good in my book.

uyjulian, Bens411, SiZiOUS and 5 others like this.
  8. darcagn

This site is still fulfilling its purpose.

Why are you still here?

9. FromAllAspects

FromAllAspects PlayStation Collector

Exactly. Well said, darcagn.

Kind regards,

FromAllAspects

10. la-li-lu-le-lo

la-li-lu-le-lo ラリルレロ

There's a difference between "fulfilling its purpose" and functioning the way it should. The former might be true, for now, but the latter is not. It's also critical to the long-term survival of the site.

Put it this way: the forum may serve "a" purpose, but not what it used to, and not what it could if we had a semi-competent person running things. Without that, the forum can't ultimately survive.

Durandal likes this.
  11. darcagn

You're not wrong, I'm just answering the question asked: "Why are you still here?"
    I'm still here because the site is fulfilling its purpose.

It might not be for long, if the site rots either from outdated software or a lack of moderation. This can't continue forever without leadership.
    But I don't see why I should jump ship today.

FromAllAspects and SiZiOUS like this.
  12. la-li-lu-le-lo

la-li-lu-le-lo ラリルレロ

Fair enough. I haven't stopped using the site either, though I find I'm posting less than I used to - because a lot of the time there's just no point. For example, I used to post pictures in my collection thread, but I've been doing that less because it seems to never get a response. I have no way of knowing if anyone actually enjoys it. The thread seems to get a decent number of pageviews, but possibly a lot of those are guests who can't join the site, so they can't respond.

I feel like a lot of a forum's vitality is destroyed without new people being able to join. Even if everyone who's already a member is posting, it seems rather boring if it's just the same people all the time, and no one new can ever join in. I think there's probably a decent number of people who want to join the forum but can't; probably a lot of them have tried, but their accounts never get approved. I think just that very simple thing could extend the forum's life, but that doesn't seem to be possible right now.

Another thing I think would make a big difference is communication - really, any communication at all - from whoever is running the site. If we could at least have some sort of dialogue, then maybe we could cooperatively find solutions to the site's problems. Right now, there's zero communication, zero cooperation, and basically zero action of any kind from the person (probably Kevin) running the site. It's frustrating because there's absolutely nothing any of us can do about this. All we can do is just watch as the site slowly dies.

SegaManAU and FromAllAspects like this.
  13. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

I can confirm there are lots of people who want to register.

I get emails via my contact form asking if I can get their account approved all the time and I'd imagine it's a minority that do it.

14. FromAllAspects

FromAllAspects PlayStation Collector

Sadly, that's what we all can do is just watch as it dies and becomes a very isolated environment. It's sad to say, even from a member who hasn't been on here for as long as the rest of you guys who have seen the forum thrive and get to the point of where it is now, sadly. One thing I have to say though is that communication is key, especially to a situation such as this, but without any key input being seen or heard by people (for example, Kevin or whoever is attempting to maintain it; not trying to nitpick, but this is just an example), it makes any form of keeping a site/forum as this impossible to keep going. Hopefully someone will take the reigns to make this site good again (I'm not going to point fingers at who is a worthy pick; no offense, guys!), even if it has come to the cost of potential people wanting to join the site in the past walk away, at least it'll give people a second thought, maybe at least bringing back the member registration page will do that. Who knows? It's a just an educated guess.

Kind regards,

FromAllAspects