Help Request Site status as of 2018

Discussion in 'Site Help and Suggestions' started by ASSEMbler, Mar 14, 2018.

1. PixelButts

PixelButts Site Soldier

This is a terrible idea

good likes this.
  2. geluda

geluda <B>Site Supporter 2012</B><BR><B>Site Supporter 20

Unfortunately (or perhaps fortunately) I wasn't around at the time to witness what appears to be the demise of this community, and it's a shame. But ultimately, real life > anything, so I can understand especially from knowing what other web owners have went through in the past, that moving on and getting on with your life is a choice some people just have to make.

Unfortunately it has a knock on effect, communication break downs, staff, members, traffic, disruption and eventually the site it's self. Many websites now are closed and kept alive purely as a historical archive because of these exact same reasons.

Reading the OP I get the feeling that the past few years have been really tough, I can sense it in the tone of the writing, so I'm sympathetic to the situation and also don't feel entire blame for the choices the other staff members had to make, as having your head battered and your real life turned up side down is more important than what is essentially just a website. But communication is key as there are other real lives here too and keeping other people in the loop is still important.

It's unfortunate, this site has a big history and has done some amazing things. But in the end everyone's irl has to come first, that's admins, moderators and even members, hence my absence for 4 years. Just do what's right for you, sort your self out and then concentrate on the site. I've only skimmed the thread so I'm not 100% up to date, but hopefully you can find some trustworthy people to help maintain things, find new ways of providing content and slowly restore this community back to its former glory.

3. Diablodin

Diablodin Peppy Member

Yeah. But when feel things getting to heavy you should focus on finding new people to step in. Perhaps with a promise to be able to return if things light up a bit.
    There's got to be a way to have some admins on here to open this place up a bit more, get the blood pumping again.

4. SegaManAU

SegaManAU Remember SegaManAU? He's back, in POG form!

Such a shame to see this site the way it is. I came back after finally getting my new room set up and the place is dead. :(

Blob, FromAllAspects and Mack like this.
  5. vexatious

vexatious Rising Member

This site is definitely more active vs SegaXtreme.net and seems more fun. Unfortunately I've aged quite a bit since when I first registered on SegaXtreme.net (used to be called something else). Also registered at club.myce.com when I first copied Sega Saturn security start from marketed Saturn titles; thread is still there and posted info almost a dozen years ago on SegaXtreme.net. Used to use DC++ client to join some Sega hubs with loads of illegal content sharing when 1tb of data was a big deal (about 2002-2004).

It's been pretty awful since then in physical world. Not sure how I got here but could've died a few times. Hopefully things don't get worse...

Thank you whoever you are, in charge of AssemblerGames.com.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2019
  6. Nemesis

Nemesis Peppy Member

The main problem is a lack of new user registration. The main page reports the newest registered member is lospheris: https://assemblergames.com/members/lospheris.107114/
    That user was registered March 29 2018. That's over a year ago, and that's not because nobody's tried to create an account since then, it's because there's nobody approving new accounts. Without new users being able to sign up, the site will die, whereas it'd probably continue on for quite awhile staff-less if not for that.

FromAllAspects and BetaGuy64 like this.
  7. BetaGuy64

BetaGuy64 A convincing argument away from buying EB64

How viable would a bot account be for approving new members? Might be a little risky with no moderators but account restrictions could probably be put in place for newer members by default to prevent raiding or whatever.

8. Zeigren

Zeigren Robust Member

Before all of this went down AG was getting hit with a bunch of spam from bot accounts so I'm not sure that would be a good idea with no mods in place

BetaGuy64 likes this.
  9. la-li-lu-le-lo

la-li-lu-le-lo ラリルレロ

Yeah, we need an actual human (ideally more than one) to moderate the site. There's really no reason Kevin couldn't give this responsibility to someone else – he said he was going to do that, but then never did. It seems he (or whoever is in charge of the site currently) would rather let the forum stagnate and die than to take the "risk" of letting someone else do the job he's too lazy or disinterested to do.

Without new members, the site is doomed. It's obvious already; there's less and less activity all the time. The less activity there is, the fewer people want to post, which deceases the activity further, and so on. Eventually people who currently use the site will leave, because there's just no point in staying. If there were new members, that would almost certainly increase activity around here, which could reverse all of what I was just saying. That seems unlikely to happen, unfortunately. We still don't even know what's happening currently, or what the future of the site will be.

I've actually thought about starting a thread to try to petition whoever is running the site to communicate with us and at least tell us what's going on. Would anyone be interested in that?

10. Diablodin

Diablodin Peppy Member

Do we even know who is in control of the site now?
    What could be the case is that someone is just paying to keep the site alive. Not being an active admin and not allowing new members will keep the waters still. No new bad blood, no one will eventually bother trying to get to you etc. Also, a forum like this can run into legal issues from time to time, which can make struggles for an admin fighting to keep the site running, and the way things are now it maybe is more unlikely to happen.

How I see it an option would be to start fresh somehwere else. But does anyone really want to be the main admin and fend off all the eventual legal shit?

Last edited: May 6, 2019
  11. PixelButts

PixelButts Site Soldier

Nope
    This has been tried a few times before already

good and BetaGuy64 like this.
  12. Diablodin

Diablodin Peppy Member

Yeah, I would expect so, even before this site went bunk. The thing is it needs to be organized well, have backers and a knight in shining armor willing to take on a serious responsibility.
    This will be hard to find...

13. BetaGuy64

BetaGuy64 A convincing argument away from buying EB64

Literally having 1 moderator would probably benefit the site leaps and bounds ahead of its current status. I really don't understand why whoever's in charge can't just relegate a trusted person to moderator duty. Plenty of people willing and able I'm sure, at least on a temporary basis

14. Diablodin

Diablodin Peppy Member

I bet it's a conscious choice to avoid having to do anything or get involved in time consuming situations.

Does anyone know Kevin privately and can ask him to forward us to the new owner?

15. la-li-lu-le-lo

la-li-lu-le-lo ラリルレロ

Just a guess, but I'd say there's about a 99.9% chance it's still Kevin. As far as whether or not someone can contact him, I doubt it. If anyone is in contact with him, they haven't told us about that.

16. Diablodin

Diablodin Peppy Member

And if it is Kevin, does this mean the stagnation is some form revenge/punishment?
    I can't get myself to believe that. If we got in dialogue with him I'm sure we could talk him into helping us resurrect the site. The growing community needs it.

17. pool7

pool7 Site Supporter 2014

After (or during?) all mods resigned, Kevin posted a request for new mods. Some people volunteered, but apparently that went nowhere.

18. Borman

Borman Digital Games Curator

There is no new owner. There is no admin staff. There is nothing. The mod staff didn't step down for no reason, it is because of this (and because of over-action during the week a year he shows up) and the inability to make the site any better. All of us were willing to step up, and had multiple times.

finalkillcams and Durandal like this.
  19. Diablodin

Diablodin Peppy Member

So all doors are shut front and back unless we catch Kevin the one week he's on per year and we're able to change his mind...?

20. -=FamilyGuy=-

-=FamilyGuy=- Site Supporter 2049

I think Kevin was going through a rough period and the non-constructive criticism on the forum compounded that feeling and he just shut down emotionally from the site.

I think he still cares about this place, hence why it's not simply offline, but it's painful for him to interact with it.

I hope he will come back after the dust settles down and rebuild a staff team.

I now regret turning down his offer to be a mod, as there could at least be one left. It just didn't feel right in the turmoil.

If you're reading this Kevin, hit me on on Gmail to talk about it, the site deserves at least a mod to fix day-to-day issues.

There's a great and unique community that you help build over the years here, it'd be a shame for it to suffer a slow suffocating death.

uyjulian, SiZiOUS, Arcadia and 4 others like this.