Help Request Site status as of 2018

Discussion in 'Site Help and Suggestions' started by ASSEMbler, Mar 14, 2018.

1. Mack

Mack <B>Site Supporter 2012</B><BR><B>Site Supporter 20

Damn wow..... Come on man Make This Forum Great Again!

2. arnoldlayne

arnoldlayne Resolute Member

Says the individual who then doesn't present any facts whatsoever.

Seriously, stop hating this place or just leave if it pains you so much.

3. TheManThatTellsTheTruth

TheManThatTellsTheTruth Active Member

I'm still waiting for my boy Kev, I really miss him.

4. Borman

Borman Digital Games Curator

The staff did what we had to do because we cannot be held responsible for your data. We had zero tools to do the job properly, including basic quality control like SPAM control that didn't involve each of us spending a ton of time deleting it manually. That is the reason why there are no new members and the community can't grow and rebuild itself, it's impossible to sign up because accounts need to be manually approved which hasn't been done.

We were accused of being the problem, when we simply wanted to have the tools to keep things moving. Sure, individual members talked about wanting to buy the site if that was an option, but that isn't something the entire staff wanted. But it was an out for Kevin if he simply didn't want to be here. And if he wanted to be here, we were more than willing to work with him, but he had to make a decision. Clearly, the decision was to say that he would be here and not be, which is his choice, but know that your data cannot be considered safe.

We just wanted to be able to act to threats and do the sorts of activities needed to keep a site healthy and safe in these days, and it didn't happen. We wanted to be able to give you the sort of upgrades that were promised for over a decade now, be it a museum, user controlled pages, or whatever, but none of that was possible.

The site cannot grow or thrive while new members can't join, and while there is no one able to actual do what needs to be done.

Durandal, SegaManAU, zzattack and 6 others like this.
  5. ave

ave JAMMA compatible

Wouldn't it be easier to just move on to a different forum (like an Assembler 2.0) instead of waiting for Kevin to resolve things? The forum was always a heart project for him, so now that everyone is against him I don't see a big future ahead or why he should put a massiv rebuilding effort (and funds) into it at all.

Is there a forum where there is a relatively large correlation of the userbase with AG's users? NeoGAF, maybe, or ntsc-uk? Digit-Press?

6. PixelButts

PixelButts Site Soldier

There were like 2 attempts to do that via Demon, but multiple times it went up, closed, went up, closed, so while Demon I know you may read this, you gotta understand that an alternative that is hosted that way isn't going to be a good alternative.

As far as I know there is no immediate place like assemblergames wherein you can post things like this without harsh trigger-happy moderation (resetera, neogaf). So unless a stable alternative shows up this will still be the best.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2019
    good, system and Syclopse like this.
  7. arnoldlayne

In fairness to Borman - he's right, it wasn't all of them who wanted to take over, etc - it was just a few - but many of them were in high places. It just felt like a battle that slowly started brewing not long after the other site I mentioned went up. I guess they thought they could do it bigger/better. The tragedy (as I mentioned way back when it started to get out of control) is that they could have complimented this site and maybe even done things better (all of the additions Borman mentions, for example) but they seemed hell-bent of disrupting this place. I have no doubt there were instigators who made it a lot worse and dragged some good people down with them... that was sad to see.

Let's just hope that new members can sign up in the future - perhaps one solution is that new users have access to one forum thread (new members) and that would limit any new spam to just one place. Although, ideally exclude it in the search for 'new posts' (which is what I always click on) New users can state their case for joining and then be granted access (the ability to post messages on the rest of the site) if it's clear they're not here to cause disruption and have a genuine interest in retro-gaming.

But people shouldn't ignore the fact that if the place is quieter - it's in large part because times have changed. Even with the previous tensions, etc, it was always going to slow down whether it had happened or not.

Syclopse likes this.
  8. Borman

It was more of an offer to take over if Kevin wanted out. It was an alternative to not being there and putting everyone at risk. I cant think of anyone on staff at the end who didn't want the best for this website. We all offered to do more, not less, and we were stonewalled. We wanted to work with Kevin.

Are there a few bad eggs? Sure, there always have been. But for the most part, everyone just wanted to do right by the community that was left and give it a chance to flourish again.

9. Shadha

Shadha #LongLiveTheBromanRevolution

Posting this for Demon. #LongLiveTheBromanRevolution
    [​IMG]

Arcadia and pool7 like this.
  10. Shadha

Shadha #LongLiveTheBromanRevolution

[​IMG]

Traace and Arcadia like this.
  11. Seroczynski

Seroczynski Member

So this might be a very naive thing, but what's the problem with bringing a new forum into live, except for content? If people are unhappy about the current situation, why not take control in your own hands and bring a new website? It's not that hard, or are there certain legal things that are causing the problem?

12. Borman

Because you lose decades worth of history, and it's hard to migrate a community to somewhere new. Part of what we cared about is preserving what is here and keeping it accessible, which archive.org or a site dump really doesnt do.

13. Dot50Cal

Dot50Cal Moderator

Kev, a lot of what you said in the OP is very familiar to me. We had a few mentally ill folks in the RE community as well and I too was harassed and stalked. Thankfully, not in person, but similar to you, all of my linked in contacts and such were sent messages. You gotta do what is best for you in those situations, even if it means breaking away from the site.

I know it can be tough to break off something that has been a part of your life for decades but sometimes that is just what has to be done. Its what I did with my old site. Thankfully, a few years after I stepped away the harassment stopped and I've been able to move on to a new phase of life.

I hope you can do the same.

geluda, Arcadia and -=FamilyGuy=- like this.
  14. Muramasa

Muramasa Rising Member

I'm curious what is missing from a site dump or archive.org? I know the community will never be whole again but it seems like we should be able to capture the raw information.

15. -=FamilyGuy=-

-=FamilyGuy=- Site Supporter 2049

I'd say the people.

Backup everything you want, if you can't get ahold of someone you can't ask them new questions or ask them for more details. Access to knowledgeable people that are willing to share their knowledge is invaluable. It is very important for the stuff we do here, and a backup can't replace that.

There's a big community here with tons of members with broad and vast combined knowledge. If AG was to shut down, many wouldn't bother joining a new community, I know I probably wouldn't.

16. Borman

It's a lot harder to find stuff. Archive.org misses things. There are private forums that are missed. Private messages. And yep, the people.

17. sonicdude10

sonicdude10 So long AG and thanks for all the fish!

Seems I missed quite a lot while I was on my long leave of absence.

SegaManAU likes this.
  18. FromAllAspects

FromAllAspects PlayStation Collector

What did I miss? It seems like a long conversation has happened on here. I'm curious. Hahaha.

Kind regards,

FromAllAspects

19. la-li-lu-le-lo

la-li-lu-le-lo ラリルレロ

It seems someone just updated the site, because there was a message saying that. Who is this mystery person? Is it Kevin, or a mysterious alien or ghost? It would be nice to know. Whoever this person is, they seem to be unwilling to do anything at all beyond the bare minimum needed to keep the site from shutting down.

20. arnoldlayne

It appears there will also be some new features added soon:

- fireworks will appear briefly once you start a new thread or post a reply
    - all users will receive a genuine NWC cart once they reach 100 posts
    - incentives with your local communities to pave roads with gold bars (with a limited edition Mario engraving)
    - users with over 1000 posts will automatically be granted access to world peace

Sounds ambitious, but it does explain the silence. Imagine trying to organise all of that?!

pool7 and Shadha like this.