since we're still here, diablo source code was reverse engineered

Discussion in 'Sega Dreamcast Development and Research' started by TerdFerguson, Jul 2, 2019.

1. TerdFerguson

TerdFerguson ls ~/

i've never played this game, but i know how huge it is. this is one game that could totally be ported to DC one day, even has multiplayer

i think SDL 2.0 isn't supported by KOS, but its still a game from 1997 so perhaps one day someone will port it. if i go to school for programming reversing entire games is what i'd want to learn
    https://github.com/diasurgical/devilutionX

fafadou, LuizNai and pool7 like this.
  2. -=FamilyGuy=-

-=FamilyGuy=- Site Supporter 2049

If it's reversed engineered through static recompilation (and C code regeneration), that's probably the same thing that Notaz did with Diablo and StarCraft a few years ago. He didn't publish the source for legal reasons, but you can find pretty interesting articles on the subject of you google it.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2019
  3. Anthony817

Anthony817 Familiar Face

I literally posted about this topic over at Dreamcast-Talk 8 hours earlier lol. Did you see my thread first or MVG video and make the same type of thread? Guess we were thinking the same thing hehe.

https://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=11850

It is interesting that MVG used the PSX control code in his Switch port to make more accessible on the controller. What I think is interesting too is that we could use both controller and mouse and keyboard inputs on the DC.

4. TerdFerguson

TerdFerguson ls ~/

no didn't see

5. TerdFerguson

TerdFerguson ls ~/

well it says you can compile the git. again i've never played diablo but if there was a port with multiplayer support that'd be a pretty kick ass way to try the game

6. Blockhead

Blockhead Member

There is a video from Modern Vintage Gamer where he explains how this came about; apparently there were various bits of PC source buried in the ps1 version retail release (symbols file, debug exe) that aided in the reversing.

7. Anthony817

Anthony817 Familiar Face

Yeah if you click my Dreamcast-Talk thread link above you will also see that MVG video I posted there.