Sin and Punishment and other jap only titels translation

Discussion in 'Everdrive 64' started by n64user, Jul 26, 2013.

1. n64user

n64user Rising Member

With Sin and punishment being a JAP only game (unless you count the Wii re-release) I wondered.. and think I may have mentioned this before?.. But has anyone done an English translation ROM so we can play it in English on the ever drive? This would be great to do on other JAP only games.

PS sorry for typo in title of thread :/

Last edited: Jul 26, 2013
  2. Zoinkity

Zoinkity Site Supporter 2015

Both the official (Wii) and unofficial translations used graphics replacement at emulation level.

That said, outside of it being time-consuming, there's nothing stopping anyone from doing it. The compression is known and the filetable sensible enough to permit it. Plus, you don't need to tamper with audio.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2013
  3. Jimmy130

Jimmy130 Active Member

Sin and Punishment is not the only game patched on Wii Virtual console. Others are also interesting.

4. n64user

n64user Rising Member

hmm, so could be a matter of time.. but thanks for the response!

5. Heavy1390

Heavy1390 Rapidly Rising Member

Well I learned how to do Texture replacements recently for N64 games. Which of those offsets are for the menu select textures? I haven't play Sin and Punishment for a long time, and I can't read Japanese, so could I use the virtual console version as a reference? In other words is everything in the same place, just translated in the Menu Select?

Last edited: Aug 17, 2013
  6. Zoinkity

I doubt you'll beat me to a hardcoded patch, unless you are skipping subtitles ;*)
    So far I've finished menus, the common files (in-game menus and some other things), the prologue, epilogue, and stage 0-0.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2013
  7. Heavy1390

Haha, I doubt so as well, I would have skipped subtitles, but I would much rather just wait on you to finish the hack since you're doing it :p
    Please do upload the patch on this site when you are done, I'll be looking forward to adding it to my digital collection

8. Conker2012

Conker2012 Intrepid Member

WOW! This will be brilliant - Sin and Punishment is supposed to be a superb game, and being able to play it in English will be fantastic.

With this, Saturnu's new OS, and upcoming Gameshark support, the Everdrive 64 is becoming ever more useful!

9. Zoinkity

Just finished it off. It's available in two places, and I'm hoping most of the world can get it from one or the other.
    http://www.mediafire.com/?2szbq8utgxe0srv
    -or-
    http://share.cx.com/BnjRB7
    Apply to an unbyteswapped, unaltered ROM. The patches test for this, although you can probably bypass it if you really wanted to.
    You get the choice between an xdelta patch and a bps patch. Use xdelta or beat respectively.

Should work on hardware. Remember it needs to use a 16kbit eeprom for save data. Emulator people can fuss over what settings are needed for which emulators. It uses the framebuffer heavily, so that should strictly narrow down which plugins will work with it.

Hardcoing it went surprisingly fast. I decided against a textured font like you see in the VC version for the sake of legibility. VC just extracted the 8x8 font already embedded in the game, something I'm guilty of too. Could have used an IA4 font as well, but the clarity was too low for such a small font. Greyscale just seemed to work best.

I tried to use fonts similiar in style to the japanese fonts they replaced, always erring on the side of legibility. Hopefully there aren't too many complaints ;*)

I did not translate signs in the scenes set in Japan. None are important, and, well, they are in Japan. Most would require some pretty radical conversion to fit any reasonably-readable english into, and illegible english defeats the purpose.

If there's any glaring errors, just post them up here. I don't have a good place to leech internet anymore, but I will try to get to you as soon as possible.
    There's two things I'm not completely satisfied with, but it isn't worth fussing over since neither has a good solution. See if you can spot them ;*)

Did take a look at the T64 files. It's odd, since they write in columns instead of rows and the palettes are argb. Still, the images are easy enough to extract, and since I have a handy-dandy table of everything might just be able to figure out how they know what to replace where ;*)

BTW, I could use a translator for a few other projects. Most of the untranslated japanese N64 titles use graphics as opposed to actual text, and I have a few of each already extracted. In particular, I'd like to do Bangaioh, and the translator will optionally have the added bonus of choosing to provide handwriting samples for a character ;*)

Since we're on the subject, I have most of a Pocket Monsters Stadium patch done. It only provides support for the japanese GB carts, and I'm not certain I want to change this yet. Anyway, since the GB emulator doesn't emulate (sends R4300 code to the RSP) I've been writing scripts to draw the window for me to test this off-console. It's mostly down to making a new font writer for the GB emu, making a few more windows dynamic, making a few models for the huge freaking 3D text, swapping letters on the cups, and changing some trainer names to romanji.
    Incidentally, you can convince Nemu there's a GB cart attached with a whopping two bytes ;*)

About the Easter eggs, the first is a key to getting the second. The second is rather obscure, but if you do find the block of text post it up here. I tried to make it tricky but not impossible.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2013
  10. kuze

kuze Peppy Member

Awesome work, Zoinkity. I always wondered what the hell was going on in this game & now I can finally understand! Cheers.

11. Conker2012

Brilliant, utterly brilliant! This game is almost legendary amongst N64 fans, and Retro Gamer (British commercial magazine based around retro-gaming and retro-collecting) voted the game as the best run 'n' gun shooter on any system ever (issue 44), and now we can play it in English, so many thanks indeed. For some reason it took me four or five different downloads (from different sites, the downloads weren't corrupt) of the game rom before I got one which would work with the (bps) patch, but I finally got it working, so now I have it forever!

12. mickcris

mickcris Site Supporter 2014,2015

The roms that did not work were probably byteswapped.

13. Heavy1390

I'll be spreading this news around on The-GCN. Great work Zoinkity.

Edited:
    Oh yeah, and I would be stoked for an English Bangaioh. Surely someone will help translate for you if you ask around, or make a request thread.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2013
  14. Delirious17

Delirious17 Rising Member

OOOh I would love English Bangaioh!!

15. Heavy1390

Can't seem to find a clean sin and punishment rom. Last time I checked no one here cared if I asked for a link to a rom download. Can anyone help me out here? I know Zoinkity can't take the risk, but I am having trouble finding one.

16. mickcris

mickcris Site Supporter 2014,2015

It's probably going to be called "Tsumi to Batsu - Hoshi no Keishousha" or "Tsumi to Batsu - Chikyuu no Keishousha". Most likely a .z64 file will be non byte swapped.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2013
  17. Heavy1390

Thanks man, I'll try looking that up.

Edited:

Found it. Patched ROM has been tested and works on real N64 hardware.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2013
  18. Conker2012

Some people in the thread http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=909.0 are saying that the game crashes if Force EEP16K is set (I can't test it myself as I didn't bring my N64 with me (working away from home is awful!) and it'll probably be mid-week before I get home again). Are you sure that[FONT=verdana, sans-serif] [/FONT]EEP16K is the setting the game needs, to save?

Delirious17 likes this.
  19. Zoinkity

That's what's on the cart, but if you need a different setting then you need a different setting.

Delirious17 likes this.
  20. cheaterdragon1

cheaterdragon1 Rising Member

Pardon my stupidity, but I'm trying to patch the game and am having trouble. I downloaded the program xdelta like the post said. The program looks like this:

[​IMG]

Now I put the patch called NGUE.xdelta in the first spot, I put my ROM Tsumi to Batsu - Hoshi no Keishousha (Japan) .n64 into the second spot, and well what am I supposed to put in the 3rd spot?