Simple region-free Xbox mod?

Discussion in 'Modding and Hacking - Consoles and Electronics' started by FireAza, Nov 19, 2014.

1. FireAza

FireAza Shake! Shake!

Okay! I've got the exploit game and I've flashed my Xbox. Went with EvolutionX M8 Plus (date 08/11-2004) as per HEX's suggestion. This BIOS is nice and basic, you just load it up the exploit, hit the TSOP flash button and it flashes the TSOP and shuts down. After starting up again, I could now load US games and it was still using the stock dash! Everything ALMOST looked stock, except the boot animation, which now had a gaudy pink EVOX logo in the corner. I loaded up the BIOS in EV Tool, unchecked the EVOX logo then re-saved the BIOS and re-flashed it. No more EVOX logo! I was a bit worried that editing the BIOS file might add a new dash, since EV Tool has options to choose one and there's no Microsoft one by default. But but seems like this only applies when you actually install a dash, since mine still booted the stock one. Seems like M8 Plus doesn't install a custom dash. Thanks for all your help guys!

One question though! When I was using EV Tool, I notice it had an option to choose what size you want the BIOS to be and it defaulted to 256k. I was under the impression that my Xbox (v1.0) should use a 1MB BIOS, but I noticed that the unedited BIOS file (which it said was compatible with 1.0) was also 256k. Is this a problem? Should I change it to 1MB and re-flash it?

Oh, and another thing, I've got my console setup with 720p and 1080i enabled, but the dashboard is still in SD. Does the stock MS dashboard ONLY run in SD?

Last edited: Feb 22, 2015
  2. Mamejay

Mamejay Robust Member

For HD modes you need to be in NTSC mode as well as be using a component cable.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2015
  3. FireAza

FireAza Shake! Shake!

Yep, I'm using component cables and I think I'm running in ntsc mode since I now have the 1080i and 720p video options.