Silverbull's Kermit videos on youtube

Discussion in 'Sony Programming and Development' started by l_oliveira, May 28, 2010.

1. ness151

ness151 Member

so it's only for sony drives, then? shoot.

2. l_oliveira

l_oliveira Officer at Arms

If you can get the patched/decrypted OSD to work, you can use that. But the SONY OSD is 24bits so it won't work with drives bigger than 137 GB.

3. ness151

ness151 Member

yeah, my drive's a 320GB.... I guess I'm out of luck.
    Scratch that, I'm gonna spoof a drive.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2010
  4. Segata Sanshiro

Segata Sanshiro speedlolita

Yay, I have a Sony drive.

Both the console and HDD are PAL - will this program work?

5. l_oliveira

If you can make the OSD work on your HDD/console then yes, it's usable.

You can aways use the Kermit main menu to launch games. Mono exists so one can start an HDL game (with both ODEM and DBGCore active) from the OSD and don't need to restart the console.

It's an extra feature which not being able to use will not impair the usage of the program.

6. Mugi

Mugi Site Supporter 2013,2014,2015

you sir are my hero <3

7. SilverBull

SilverBull Site Supporter 2010,2011,2013,2014,2015.SitePatron

You can always use the Kermit GUI to start HDL games, regardless of console type (as long as its listed as supported in the readme) or whether your HDD is an official or OEM one. ODEM uses 48bit LBA mode, so it should also work for big drives.

"Save HDDOSD data" is meant for people having the HDD-enabled Sony browser; either via the "official" (browser installed via HDD utility disc onto SCEI HDD from which the console is booting) or "hacker" route (decrypted HDDOSD). All this option does is installing ODEM-specific system files into the hidden portion of the image partition, thus allowing the HDDOSD to display it correctly. It does not influence other partitions in any way, nor does it make your previous (stock) OSD recognize the HDD.

By the way: the decrypted HDDOSD already contains the ATAD patch and works on OEM drives as well and even on PAL consoles. It is also the only known method to run an OSD on a TOOL. However, as l_oliveira wrote, it is still limited to 24bit LBA, so it may experience problems on big drives.

8. HI_Ricky

HI_Ricky Intrepid Member

wow, it nice TOOL!!!!!, thank you~

9. Jackhead

Jackhead Site Soldier

yes, awesome work silverbull! Big respect :clap:

10. Mugi

this.

you mean the same stuff that bbnavi uses to display game info in the OSD, am i correct?

the thing that makes navi think that every game is crazy taxi and the rest of the data is either corrupted or missing on a normal HDL installed game.

11. l_oliveira

Nope, PSBBN uses an special folder named "res" (as of resource) and this is what Bishi Bashi Special have on it's res folder:

info.sys

jkt_001.png

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 2, 2010
  12. SilverBull

SilverBull Site Supporter 2010,2011,2013,2014,2015.SitePatron

No, its about the stuff needed to display the partition in the enhanced Sony Browser that is installed via the HDD Utility Disc.

HDL uses the SLUS number of crazy taxi for its startup disc, so in order to start HDL from the disc icon, it specifies that file (located on cdrom0) as executable for its partitions. In contrast, Kermit stores its own bootloader (hddload_mono) on an unused area of the image partition, which in turn starts the real Kermit ELF from memory card.

If you dump an ODEM image partition, you'll notice it uses the exact same "file system" as HDL does (i.e., none ;-)) and a very similar attribute area (first 4MB-4KB). The system.cnf replacement contains the usual BOOT2 entry for the bootloader, but for ODEM partitions it also contains an additional one named KERMITBOOT. This directs hddload_mono to read the Kermit configuration, extract the path to the Kermit main ELF, then invoke it with a special parameter to go directly into disc emulator mode instead of displaying the menu.

13. ness151

ness151 Member

;_;

14. szczuru

szczuru Spirited Member

Try: www.multiupload.com :)

/EDIT

Kermit doesn't work for me :/
    Everything done with readme (for retail PS2 [my PS2 - SCPH-30003 PAL v4 with modbo 760 and FMCB 1.8b]) but when i want to start the game (whatever from [kermit or OSDSYS2]) - kermit hangs with:

/EDIT2

Everything works now! :D I've to turn off modbo :)

Last edited: Jun 3, 2010
  15. Mugi

im aware of the /res folder, however i had a silly image on my head about something that's in the header that has an extend of control over how, where and why does something boot. (also the MAIN_APP param of system.cnf that seems to have something to do with the fact that HDL games or any other thing refuses to boot without the disk in the drive.)

i did some research on this way back in time but in all honesty i must admit that i never got too far with it due to lack of hardware, software and the fact that my pal ps2 running hacked navi via RTS from bootleg hdd was scetchy at best.

my modchip is also one of the types that enter sleepmode after bootup which makes it impossible for me to boot backups or anything from within navi. :(

16. ness151

ness151 Member

I think the drive I'm using is a bit big, as stated before, as the browser hangs after loading the elf file, BUT I'm about to test a 40GB.

Alright cool, I got it to work.
    Can't wait for this to work for bigger drives, great job guys!

17. szczuru

szczuru Spirited Member

@ness151, If you have modchip try to disable it and boot osd2/kermit via FMCB.

18. ness151

ness151 Member

My machine is softmodded. I don't have a modchip.

19. l_oliveira

DBGCore runs on kernel memory and as SilverBull explained, the modchip hooks go :gravedigging: when DBGCore attempts to start which causes the system to hang.

(aww we're missing that "boom" smiley we had before the server was updated)

20. l_oliveira

Well you were "half right" as PSBBN standard is an extension of what the HDD OSD used. It uses the partitions attribute table (which contains the system.cnf data and description for the partition (like icon.sys for MC saves). PSBBN is a bit picky though because it only boots things it know about. I am not sure if it has a white list of things that it can boot or if it check the res folder and partition header but it would not boot a partition I made myself.