Silverbull's Kermit videos on youtube

Discussion in 'Sony Programming and Development' started by l_oliveira, May 28, 2010.

1. l_oliveira

l_oliveira Officer at Arms

With this HOT stuff almost ready to roll out from the oven, two videos for your viewing pleasure:

Quick and dirty demonstration of what can be done with Kermit debugger core installed and active:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fx47jRF6fwU

Auto launch HD Loader games from SONY browser:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OH58xQfDoU

About Kermit:

Kermit is being developed by Silverbull since 2006 and aims to deliver PC assisted real time debugging facilities similar to what is offered by the DTL-T10000 kit (Playstation 2 TOOL) but on a retail console. :-0

For those who know what it is: Kermit has partial DECI2 support and this feature is still being worked on. Expect more mesmerizing features to come. :thumbsup:

All debug, disassembly, cheat-engine, memory dumping, PC communication features are achieved by the install of the resident kernel module called DBGCore which hooks/patches into the existing PS2 OS kernel. Kermit communicates with the PC through either full duplex EE-SIO (Mr.Brown's EE-SIO cable) or through iLINK (IEE 1394).

With IEE 1394 Kermit makes a full EE memory dump in just 30 seconds.

Another feature recently added is the Optical Drive EMulation (ODEM) which allow the user to boot an installed HDLoader game while having all DBGCore facilities enabled. The "Auto launch HD Loader games from SONY browser" video demonstrates how ODEM can be used to simply play games if the user is not interested on debugging anything.

ODEM is currently the only HDLoader-like piece of software which is capable of playing HDD games on an SCPH-10000 console equipped with an PCMCIA Network Adapter + External HDD.

KERMIT: Copyright 2006-2010 Silverbull @ Assembler Games forum

Edit: Original post restored.

Last edited: May 28, 2010
  2. ASSEMbler

ASSEMbler Administrator Staff Member

Go ahead and post it, no point in taking down everything.

3. Segata Sanshiro

Segata Sanshiro speedlolita

I was just watching the video. Amazing stuff!

I need to get me a 1x000 console.

4. bob

bob Robust Member

excellent stuff

5. SilverBull

SilverBull Site Supporter 2010,2011,2013,2014,2015.SitePatron

Thank you for the kind words.

I need to clean up the code a bit before release; which means, among other things, I need to insert some evil traps for people trying to reverse the resident parts of the debugger and disc emulator :evil:. I don't want to imply anyone from this site was going to do so, but I'm almost sure it'll happen as soon as the program is widely available. I also need to write some basic user manual; believe me (or ask Leonard ;-)): you really don't want to use this program without one.

In the meantime, here are some hi-res screenshots for your viewing pleasure (intro, main+comm settings, disc emulator settings, disc partition details):

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    All taken from my TOOL using Kermit's PC-side software, but with no resident Kermit patches in the PS2 kernel. You can archive similar results on retail machines by first starting Kermit itself, then rebooting into the OSD and restarting the GUI later.

On another note: in contrast to Leonard's video, the release version of Kermit will use its own icon for disc image partitions instead of abusing the one from HDL. Currently, the icon is hardcoded into the application, but I plan to also support external ones in some future version. If anyone wants to contribute an icon, please feel free to contact me; however, I'd prefer if you post it to the thread for anyone to comment ;-). For the upcomming beta, I chose to use an old photo:

[​IMG]

Someone guess the part number? :lol:

Although I like the 1x000 consoles and can only recommend to get them while they are still available, you don't need one to run Kermit on. The program basically supports all hardware versions, although I do most of the development on a DTL-T10000, an unmodified SCPH-39004, and (mainly for compatibility testing) a DTL-H10000.

However, I stronly recommend to use a 3900x or previous model if you want to employ host communication. EE SIO is sloooooooooooow (~3KB/s), and even though 1394 is not that well connected on the PS2 (I get ~500KB/s), it is far more enjoyable.

6. ASSEMbler

ASSEMbler Administrator Staff Member

If you want to put links to any files I'll allow it.

7. SilverBull

Thank you :thumbsup:. I will post them as soon as possible.

The Kermit distribution will include everything you need to get up and running: basic usage instructions, PS2 ELF (resident part, GUI, ODEM, EE DECI2 interface) and the PC application with 1394 driver. Everything was compiled using open source tools and libraries (from ps2dev.org) without linking in any Sony code, so it should be perfectly legal as far as I know (but, for the record: I am not a lawyer).

However, some of the weirder Kermit features require using certain files from a T10000 ROM, but I will only provide instructions on how to extract them, not on how to get the ROM itself. These things are highly experimental at this time, so you probably won't miss much if you do not have a ROM dump lying around.

On another note: you need a PC running Windows XP (I still use SP2, but SP3 should work as well) with installed .NET Runtime v2.0 SP1 for communication with the PS2; it also needs to have either a serial port for EE SIO, or (preferrably) a standard 4-/6-pin firewire port for 1394. USB and network communication is currently not supported, and (due to lack of IOP memory while games are running) probably won't be anytime soon.

For 1394 to work, you'll need to install a special kernel-mode device driver supplied in the Kermit distribution. I know this might be a problem for some people who do not want to install drivers from dubious sources (I wouldn't like to as well), but unfortunately this is necessary because Windows does not provide a user-mode 1394 API. I used an old version of the Microsoft 1394diag sample for the driver (basically, I just patched it not to crash the machine immediately when the connected device powers down), so in case you are really anxious, you could download a current WDK and compile the driver yourself. It should work just like my own one if you adjust the PnP ID in the INF file accordingly; if it really comes down to this, please feel free to contact me (or post in the thread) if you need any help.

8. SilverBull

As promised, here's the BETA (Kermit v0.4.0004):

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=BIX9J7I4
    Password is "ASSEMblergames.com"

Please be sure to read the README, as I think some parts of it are really important to get Kermit up and running. I've spent almost half the day writing it, so if you post any reports saying what crashes, what doesn't work as expected, what doesn't work at all and so on, please at least pretend you read it :p.

I can also build an MSI file in case anybody has problems installing the .NET runtime.

9. Segata Sanshiro

Ah, well then it seems my 30003 with HDLoader would be my best bet.

10. l_oliveira

Guys be sure to wait a few hours before attempting to download because Megaupload has a sort of "quarantine" policy for uploads...

You will get "The file you are trying to access is temporarily unavailable." from the link for the first few hours after it's posted.

11. SilverBull

Sounds good. I think I forgot to write it explicitly in the readme, but ODEM uses the exactly same format for disc images than HDL, so it should recognize all your installed games.

Hmm, strange. Since when does this happen? I've never experienced this issue before, and I always test-download my files, just to make sure the link works and it was the correct file that got upload (and not trashed in between).

Can somebody suggest a better upload service? I used to use rapidshare, but switched to megaupload after they limited files to 10 downloads only :DOH:.

Last edited: May 29, 2010
  12. unclejun

unclejun Site Supporter 2011-2014

I can host it if you want...
    I'll try it later, if I can found that damn firewire cable...
    SilverBull, what's wrong with your h10000, mine run uLE just fine (from a CD-R).

13. Segata Sanshiro

Mediafire is great imo.

14. root670

root670 Robust Member

Where can I find neme's embed tool 1.2 or 1.3? Can't find it anywhere.

15. l_oliveira

16. root670

root670 Robust Member

Thanks for the link. :)

17. npt

npt Spirited Member

Very exciting stuff!

Can't wait until megaupload let's me download. : )

An odd question I realize, but can I use this on a DTL-T10000H or a DTL-H30001?

Regards,

npt

:033:

:pray::pray::pray:

18. l_oliveira

Yes, you can. Detailed instructions are contained on the archive.

For using ODEM on the T10000 you will need the DTL-H20400 Hard Disk Drive connected to the DTL-H10010 PCMCIA network adapter. The latter should be inserted at the PCMCIA slot on the back of the TOOL. The same combo can be used with the DTL-H10000/10100 Debugstation (TEST).

For launching, you need a booting method and I recommend that you burn an "MASTER DISC" with uLE elf as bootable file. On the videos I'm using an retail SCPH-18000 console which is capable of booting MAGIC GATE encrypted files.

I could use FMCB for booting too, but launching uLE from the OSD is much less hassle as I can just launch an retail HDD title from there if I want to.

19. npt

npt Spirited Member

l_oliveira,
    Thank you very much for your reply, I appreciate it. I think I will try with my DTL-H30001 tonight. Looking forward to it. Thanks Silverbull for the release, very, very cool. PS2 in 2k10. Rock on.

Regards,

npt

:033:

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
    :flamethrower::luigi:

20. root670

root670 Robust Member

I've got another question: How do you properly dump the DVDELF? I've got an SCPH-39001 with FMCB, btw.

Thanks