Sidecar Teardown - By Doom

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 Development' started by Doom, Feb 27, 2010.

1. corranga

corranga Rapidly Rising Member

Great thread just manager to get my dev unit up and running by re-attaching the side car thanks to this guide!

1 down, 3 to go :s

Chris

2. XboxSurgeon

XboxSurgeon Site Supporter Since 2013

Pressed it while it was attached to an XNA kit just now. All it does is reset the console, causes the middle ROL light to flash like it's trying to eject, takes a bit longer to fully boot (sits at Xbox logo for 20+ seconds), eventually boots to XDK Launcher and center ROL led continues to flash until the console is turned off. Safemode? Bootloader mode?

5 years working on these consoles, opening sidecars, repairing them, and I have never noticed this small button until now.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2014
  3. BadSpencer1986

BadSpencer1986 Rising Member

First at all, sorry for bumping this old thread. I didn't see the point for creating a new thread...
    I have an old XDK (test kit) with a 80GB HDD, and I want to upgrade it with a bigger HDD.
    HDD can be swapped and then formatted using wipe HDD option in XDK launcher, or I have to make something more in the new HDD, like in retail consoles?
    By the other hand, I want to 'convert' this test kit to a full dev kit. I removed the PIX port cover, but it will be useless because test kists doesn't have kernel debug features... however, I saw there's a way to enable those features with a conversion. Some speaks about an .xex being executed before using the XDK for patching it in every use, but in one site speaks about making an .ini file:

I really don't know how to transfer it to the XDK flash. Another option is flashing the test kit with a nand from a dev kit, but I don't have that nand nor the necessary tools. Someone can help me with these questions?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2015
  4. XboxSurgeon

Yes you can add a new hdd to the kit and it will format it for you assuming it meets the 5400 rpm at the very least specs.

To "convert", Google something called xbdmrecovery.xex to auto convert the test to dev or use something called internaldrivelinker.xex to do it manually. This will allow flash to appear in neighborhood.

BadSpencer1986 likes this.
  5. BadSpencer1986

Thanks for the info! :)
    I Google'd them, but all download links I found are currently dead, so I suposse I'll have to try with torrents.
    One last question, about HDDs... Is there a maximum capacity? I mean, in 360 fat retail consoles the biggest official drive have 250GB, but can be swapped with an 320GB HDD with a patch (HDD security sector). In the case of an XDK, I suposse that patch isn't necessary, but I want to buy a compatible HDD with an usable capacity (250GB / 320GB). I currenly have an 80GB HDD, but I only can use 60GB...

6. XboxSurgeon

I have heard 2tb. I've used 1tb before with no issue.

7. fate6

fate6 Haha, I killed a Pumpkin!

InternalDriveLinker(Access Flash Volume)
    http://1drv.ms/1MFNoZs

That will make the .ini and place it in flash for you, Will both enable access to all system locations in neighborhood and also mark the system as "Full Dev". Make sure to power off then on the system after running it so it takes effect BTW.
    You need only run it once

EDIT: I also have another xex named "ghettohax" that replaces xbdm or something but it's honestly not needed.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2015
    BadSpencer1986 and XboxSurgeon like this.
  8. XboxSurgeon

I will mention in addition to Fate6s post, xbdmrecovery.xex works fine, but it will prevent a remote recovery for some reason. Somehow it totally messes the process up and remotes will fail after you use this. If you do use this xex, run an iso based recovery without your hdd in (otherwise it will delete all content) and remotes will work again afterward.

BadSpencer1986 likes this.
  9. BadSpencer1986

Thanks to both for the help. :D I'll try that XEX that fate6 shared when I change the HDD in the sidecar. :p

10. Stipo360

Stipo360 Dead Rising & XDKs

Old post bump, for a good reason?

Here's some shots of the internals of a phat sidecar i took a while back, since the shots here are dead..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]