Should we start to worry about Shenmue III sucking?

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by GodofHardcore, Aug 22, 2017.

1. GodofHardcore

GodofHardcore Paragon of the Forum *

I don't know who those two are but that's not Ryo and Shenhua. Did the real Ryo and Shenhua die in that cave and get replaced by imposters?

I don't know guys.... I'm worried. But at least the environments look incredible.

But at least we still have Yakuza.

2. -=FamilyGuy=-

-=FamilyGuy=- Site Supporter 2049

Hopefully they'll work on the faces animations... Full time... Until release...
    Otherwise, Sega's Shenmue HD remakes might really just look better than Shenmue III.

Heck, I'd take Shenmue III on their Dreamcast Engine, with 2001 graphics, over those lifeless wax figurines eyes.

photoboy likes this.
  3. GodofHardcore

You could justify it with "Well they have a lower budget to work with" But even then this game is on an engine capable to quite a bit for not a lot of money. Ryo and Shenhua don't even look like they should. Like did they die at some point over the last 15 years and get replaced by imposters?

I'm sure if they tank the graphics fans will mod in proper textures on PC, but those of us on PS4 are SOL.

I have faith in Yu Suzuki, but everyone has a blunder here or there.

4. iiAlexLiveii

iiAlexLiveii Rapidly Rising Member

I appreciate they are letting us know they are doing something at least, sure those faces look weird right now but start worrying when the release date is right around the corner, not now.
    As a side note, Chun Li's face from Marvel vs. Capcom Infinite looked ugly in previous trailers but it was fixed it in the most recent trailer.
    You know, come to think of it, everybody would want to have Shenmue 3 with those faces and missing facial animations... when a Shenmue 3 beta leaks before or after the game releases, either as a playable preview or as a piece of history for collectors.

5. Braintrash

Braintrash Peppy Member

I am not worried. Facials are something many do on the last stages of development, which is quite understandable.

6. speedyink

speedyink Site Supporter 2016

I'm not worried either. Today's Youtube culture has people thinking about things "sucking" way too much. I'd rather give something the benefit of the doubt than write off something that still has like a year or more of development.

7. GodofHardcore

I reached this conclusion entirely of my own volition. Something felt way off.
    Even in it's Project Berkley state Shenmue looked good. THIS..... ehhhhhhhhhhhh?

8. Braintrash

Braintrash Peppy Member

Also, the video shown is not up to date, but actually quite old. It doesn't reflect current development status.

9. Anthaemia.

Anthaemia. The Original VF3 Fangirlâ„¢

Even if the "real" Shenmue III ends up being a disappointment (which is quite likely considering how long most fans have been waiting), there's still hope that an enterprising team of dedicated enthusiasts will reverse engineer the original Dreamcast engine and produce something closer to what AM2 might have done back in 2002, had they not stopped development. Just as the likes of Christian Whitehead have now done a better job of creating Sonic 4 than anything the remains of Sonic Team could scrape together over the last twenty years or so, maybe it's time for Yu Suzuki to hand over his vision for all 16 chapters of Ryo's quest to a new generation? At the very least, my biggest problem with the teaser footage is how different everything looks in the UE4 environment... regardless of the game, it seems this technology has an inherent glossy style that not even the Shenmue visual identity can override.

photoboy likes this.
  10. GodofHardcore

Remember Tekken 7 runs in unreal and isn't glossy. Nor Guilty Gear or SFV yeah they're Fighters but they all have varying graphic styles

Anthaemia. likes this.
  11. Anthaemia.

I'm sure it was mentioned in Digital Foundry's look at Tekken 7 that Namco avoided the usual "glossy" look of games running in UE4 by employing a post processing grain filter to give their work more of a film-like appearance, not to mention its sub-1080p resolution adds further noise...

12. GodofHardcore

The grain filter is only in a few stages

13. speedyink

speedyink Site Supporter 2016

I've watched this trailer a few times.. the faces obviously don't look 100% right(we are talking totally different console generations, does Ryu in the new SF games really look right?). I think it almost looks like the animation was purposely made to look like the dreamcast games. I mean, something about the slightly awkward movement just, screams Shenmue to me, lol.

14. Vosse

Vosse Well Known Member

So the faces don't look perfect. The game is still a ways off. Not like the original faces looked good or were animated well anyway. Much like many of the other elements of Shenmue, it was rough around the edges.

Everything else looks great besides the faces.

Temper your expectations, or the game will *Never* live up to anyone's envisions in their mind of what they thought their ideal SIII would be like.

15. Bramsworth

Bramsworth Well Known Member

I'm seriously doubting this would ever happen. That would require way too much more than any fan project I've ever seen, let alone something built off of an obsolete console's engine. No one has ever attempted to even reverse engineer the Shenmue games to make their own fan games yet have they? Most I've ever seen is messing around with the game's 3d models.

I'm giving the trailer the benefit of the doubt for now since supposedly it's still preliminary. That said, they really need to try using remakes of the original models because it seems like practically no one likes them. And that terrible glossy/blooming effect for everything ruins the spirit of the series. I always liked how the DC games pushed the console to look its best while remaining at least a bit more believable. This game is suffering that syndrome a lot of 3d indie efforts do where just because the sun exists, suddenly all the colors in the scene look like they're bleeding out at you as if you just took LSD. I've always taken it as a cheap way to hide that the graphics don't look good as-is, which isn't a good sign.

Anyway, I bet the game will be further delayed and it will be at least a couple more years before release, so they should have plenty of time to make things even better. They seem to listen to criticism too, so that's a plus.

16. Anthaemia.

Most fan games were indeed simple model swaps until more recently, but I've seen footage demonstrating custom in-engine cutscenes produced by someone over at the Shenmue Dojo forum, which is why I suggested this as a possibility. Also, just look at Project AXSX/Sonic Xtreme or what Team IGAS has been able to achieve with the Biohazard 2 prototype - they've not only reverse engineered this, but ported the entire thing to a new engine (Gemini's Squeeze Bomb, I believe). We've come a long way from the days of the most inventive homebrew efforts being mere hacks, and Shenmue has a greater following than most titles I could think of...

17. sayin999

sayin999 Officer at Arms

Yu Suzuki said facial animation are not finalized and will be worked on as development continues. Think the trailer was released just so some progress could be shown. With the way Kickstarter is people start loosing it if they don't see progress every month. Considering the budget they have it's amazing it looks even this decent at this stage. Keep in mind the first 2 had a bigger budget and sega fully backing it with a huge staff. This one is being done by a pretty small team.

photoboy likes this.
  18. GodofHardcore

I did mention that early on. I have hope because Yu Suzuki has never let us down. I can't think of a single game he's made that could be considered sub par or bad.

19. Taucias

Taucias Site Supporter 2014,2015

It's a work in progress without all of the animation systems in place. The engine looks robust. The only real concern I have is how long the delay is going to be.

20. Zoinkity

Zoinkity Site Supporter 2015

Well, at least they've written it off rather than overinflating their expectations to an impossible degree...