Shipping internationally from the UK

Discussion in 'Off Topic Discussion' started by Kappa, Apr 16, 2015.

1. Kappa

Kappa Peppy Member

So the situation im in at the moment is that i'm trying to ship a package internationally from the UK, but im struggling to find places that ship at a decent rate all in the high 100's mark, for a console in a box that weights around 3.5k ?!

i was wondering if anyone can help me out here? i thought i had it sorted but obviously not :/

2. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

once you get over 2k, prices get silly.

If you happen to find something that works out better - I would like to know too.

3. ShovelThumb

ShovelThumb Gutsy Member

I previously used parcel2go, 6kg or package to Japan was about 33 as I got a code from hotukdeals. All went smooth in my experience but probably worth looking into online further too!
    R

4. Kappa

Kappa Peppy Member

Mhm, i just used that parcel2go site and its brilliant. when i went to each of the individual sites i could only pick from the extortionate prices they had, with this site i was able to see all the cheapest prices across all companies and managed to get it down to £30. ty for that Shovel :)

5. retro

retro Resigned from mod duty 15 March 2018

I've said this many times before:

Interparcel is pretty much all you need.

There's also Parcel2Go (bit crappy on International), Postage Supermarket (good for ParcelForce)... and InterLink/DPD are the best (shipping in the UK, at least). Interparcel's economy service is UPS or DHL - usually UPS.

Within the UK, you can get cheap shipping from MyHermes or Yodel, but they're both crap.

6. Jackhead

Jackhead Site Soldier

i think its depending where you want to ship.
    UPS or fedex are the best for international because custom, service and speed.

For example Parcel2go from UK to germany is Parcel2go > GLS. Is like Hermes DPD or all this services..
    Royal Airmail > DHL
    USPS > DHL

Another point from Germany worldwide is DHL the best choise because they give it to USPS and so far..
    Express worldwide, UPS and fedex best ways.

Another example, when i save money on shipping and have to pickup the package on custom, pay extra, need a free day and so... Not really cheap for me.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2015
  7. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

I use DHL for incoming parcels, because their customs admin fee is extremely reasonable. Unlike TNT, UPS, Parcel Force

8. retro

UPS charged my friend (allegedly because US Customs did) I think it was $26 to destroy one packet of crisps. All because I didn't realize that Walkers had changed their recipe to include pork extract in their smoky bacon crisps, which used to be just flavouring. As are pretty much EVERY supermarket brand of smoky bacon crisps in the UK. And they INSISTED she paid cash there and then. They wouldn't let me pay my end via credit card... then they would, but that department had already gone home, and I'd have to telephone the US, and it would delay the delivery until after Christmas as they would have to wait for my payment to clear before they could put it back on the delivery van. Oh, and they'd already delayed the order by sending the parcel BACKWARDS between depots here in the UK, instead of putting it on a plane.

About 6 weeks later, my friend received an invoice for the customs fee she'd already paid. I contacted them to confirm this was just an invoice sent out that had been paid. NOPE! They were expecting her to pay again, and she had to call them and sort it out, then provide proof she'd already paid! Their system is ARCHAIC.

If you can get over that farce... why did they INSIST on cash, then issue an invoice? Why couldn't the driver leave the item and mark it unpaid, so the invoice was created? Ridiculous!

Other than that, they're not bad. And them not bothering to ring my friend's doorbell on a few occasions. And them leaving a several hundred dollar parcel on the front porch at a friend's address. Twice. In Camden, NJ - which is apparently a safe area!! They did send my friend a $20 money card regarding the whole delay/invoice fiasco, though. Well, she never received the e-mail, and I had to chase it up... 10 times. Eventually I asked if they could just give me the link they're sending her to pass on... which they did! OK, yeah - they're terrible!

9. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

Tnt charged me £15 +vat fee on a £2.51 customs fee.

DHL fee is less than a fiver Inc vat

Last edited: Apr 22, 2015
  10. retro

If that's coming into the UK from outside the EU, it sounds like Parcelforce's strategy - pay the customer's customs bill so the parcel isn't delayed, then charge them for doing so (a process that now sends the package to your local depot, requiring you to either phone up or go and get it and pay... usually resulting in a delay).

11. RyanGamerGoneGrazy

RyanGamerGoneGrazy Clubbies Are Minis Too!

Have had many many similar stories with UPS as well. Famously charged me $62CDN 'brokerage' fees on tail light gasket which had $2.00 worth of custom fees.....f**king c**ts