Shenmue I & II Rerelease Announced For PS4, XBOX ONE, And PC

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by Superrayman3, Apr 13, 2018 at 11:43 PM.

1. Superrayman3

Superrayman3 Peppy Member

At SEGA's FES 2018 event SEGA announced HD rereleases of Shenmue I & II for the PS4, XBOX ONE, and PC.

Here's the official trailer:

DeChief, DSwizzy145, NovaFox and 4 others like this.
  2. Bramsworth

Bramsworth Well Known Member

It was somewhat a disappointment that there's no real reworking of anything here. No HD graphics, but instead essentially I guess emulation across several platforms.

What I take from this more than anything is that Sega hasn't disconnected themselves from Shenmue, which I assumed they did since they merely licensed the IP it to Yu Suzuki for Shenmue III but weren't playing any other active role. That gives me hope they can maybe acknowledge the Saturn version further someday. I still remember when Sega Ages 2500 Series Vol. 25 came out years back and I think the newly appointed CEO at the time said he asked that the Gunstar Heroes sample be included as a bonus on the disc because he loved those sort of things. I've held on to that as a sign maybe they'll show further care for their prototypes somewhere down the line. It's not much, but acknowledging the fans for Shenmue again brings me hope they can be further nudged the right direction with more fan feedback.

Yeah, I'm making this all about that proto. :p

3. Arcadia

Arcadia Rapidly Rising Member

I'd figure Shenmue 2 would've been made backwards compatible with the Xbox One soon enough anyway. But this will obviously make the games more accessible to a broader audience.

4. Vosse

Vosse Well Known Member

Really wish they would've done more to rework the visuals. Really looks barebones and deserves better.
    The game desperately needs a texture overhaul (Along with improvements to the draw distance and geometry).
    Maybe if we are lucky someone will be able to mod the PC version with faithful high res textures someday.

At least they are redoing the UI though, so many HD versions skimp out on that and it really makes a big difference.

Wonder if this was that rumored version that had been sitting finished essentially for years.

5. ASSEMbler

ASSEMbler Administrator Staff Member

6. Braintrash

Braintrash Robust Member

At least, it is released, so that I can replay the first two on PS4 before playing the third.
    Didn't ask for more, so I am happy.

7. Atolm

Atolm Spirited Member

Hopefully they include both english and japanese dubs as selectable options. If not, I can't see any reason to purchase this. I'll just stick with Shenmue 1 undub, and the retail PAL DC release of II.

Update: Just answered my own question, quoted from Polygon:
    "Sega calls the Shenmue 1 & 2 re-release the “definitive version” of the classic adventure games with modernized features such as “fully scalable screen resolution, choice of modern or classic control schemes, PC graphics options, an updated user interface and the option to enjoy either the original Japanese or English voiceovers.”

Day 1 purchase. :)

VMU move commands on screen would be nice, too.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2018 at 6:59 AM
  8. NovaFox

NovaFox Rapidly Rising Member

I'm really excited but I hope they actually upgrade the graphics as well(with an option to switch between old / new graphics, like the halo remasters added).
    I know modders can do stuff if they're compelled to with the pc version but I don't want to have to rely on them since nobody might want to do it.

Either way I'm sold right away, it would just be great for us fans!

9. Anthaemia.

Anthaemia. The Original VF3 Fangirl™

That wouldn't surprise me...

10. Atolm

Atolm Spirited Member

I strongly doubt we'd see updated graphics. This is still Shenmue, not Halo. It's still only going to appeal to a relatively niche part of the market. There would be a ton of assets to redo. Considering how much money Sega poured into these games back in the day, and the non-return they got. I doubt they'd be willing to make that type of investment again. At least everyone can now get easy access to the games. My Shenmue collection has been patched DC isos on a SD card/GDEMU combo. This is a little more sensible.

11. speedyink

speedyink Site Supporter 2016

This is great for people who missed out on them originally. I'm not sure if I'll buy it, but if it's the only way to make a save game go across all three games I might..

12. LuizNai

LuizNai Spirited Member

"We can finally reveal that the d3t team have been resurrecting Shenmue from the original source code written over 20 years ago! We are bringing Shenmue and Shenmue II to modern platforms: Playstation4, Xbox One and PC. It's been a journey of discovery, delving into the original code, also an honour and a privilege to work on such high-profile titles, delivering this classic franchise to new platforms and new audiences."

https://www.facebook.com/d3tLtd/pho...278773489657/2371627069521473/?type=3&theater

13. DeChief

DeChief Rustled.

Awesome, can't wait to drive forklifts and ask about sailors in HD!

14. Borman

Borman Digital Games Curator

My only hope is that they have less compressed audio. Fix that and I'm 100% happy if everything else is the same.

15. DeChief

DeChief Rustled.

Doubtful.

16. MBMM

MBMM Powered by Pied Piper

I don't know about that being doubtful. Isn't that one of the easier parts to handle when it comes to HD remakes/remasters/rehashes?

17. Borman

Borman Digital Games Curator

It all depends on what they saved. The team working on it has original source code, so it's promising anyway.

18. la-li-lu-le-lo

la-li-lu-le-lo ラリルレロ

I'll probably get it. It would be cool if there were a physical release of the PC version, but since it's going to be on Steam I'm guessing there won't be.

19. MBMM

MBMM Powered by Pied Piper

I will as well. Having it on Steam will be nice. I'm not all too disappointed it's not a "remaster" either. I'd rather them keep well enough alone and not risk changing anything too drastically. The game still looks okay in my book.

20. Atolm

Atolm Spirited Member

In preparation for III, I was playing through Shenmue 2 again for the first time since 2002 when this news broke. I forgot how surprisingly deep the move list is. While you can get by with dodging and basic attacks, like Virtua Fighter I'd really like to go back and spend more time getting counters down. Hopefully they can get the camera to behave a bit better in the rerelease. Certainly can be annoying and uncooperative at times in the original