shenmue english speech and translation

Discussion in 'Sega Dreamcast Development and Research' started by fafadou, Jul 28, 2017.

1. fafadou

fafadou Enthusiastic Member

As it had been requested here a first release of shenmue II first disc with english speech in gdi format :
    https://mega.nz/#!Yz4EnboL!P8K0I02AlRa5t3_Q7HR1JMoenm-0A-DEVKbvlOGZtqM

if it run well I released the others discs. And I add the widescreen hacks by Espiral thanks to him again

I'm translating this english speech version with french subtitles. shenmuemaster website has done an amazing work but the first two discs are not totally translate. I want to finished this work but it's a huge things to do. If someone want help the tools are here :
    http://shenmuesubs.sourceforge.net/

thanks to the shentrad team

The translation is one thing but repack the game is an other things to do because there are some little differences with the english speech version from shenmuedojo (thanks to them) and the shenmuemaster release. So it could take a while but shenmue deserved all of this.
    the main things to do is :
    - open a sfd file (depend of the sfd)
    -check if they are the same files in the both version
    - exchange the voices files
    - repack the sfd

Try the game.

for now I'm at the beggining of disc 1 maybe one quarter. I had difficulties to inject subtitle in the intro with shenhua (the english had not subtitle in this kinematic). and repack some files are not easy when you have some differences.

I hope I can share it as soon as possible :)

2. truemaster1

truemaster1 Enthusiastic Member

thats interesting. after all no other shenmue 2 game with other than english subtitles has been released. you need to find and translate every text file from a language to b and repack it. but you gona need help there was never a translation project made from one man. @SiZiOUS has been in shenmue undub project he may help here since your job is interesting. about english subs and english voices there already exists there are in cdi format but are uncompressed (no downsample or anything) there are mirrored by @Anthony817 here https://mega.nz/#!HNETzDgQ!E_hoqpOIUNNX ... FBVKRNu7HQ

Last edited: Jul 30, 2017
    fafadou and Anthony817 like this.
  3. fafadou

Thanks for your advices, I'm using those amazing tools and I start to the .cdi undownsample I think, I download them from the shenmuedojo forum and it's the beggest files for 99min disc :
    http://www.shenmuedojo.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=40768

I have finished the 1GD in .gdi format with english speech and english subtitles, it takes a lot of time because I have to replace the 1ST_READ.bin by the orginal 1ST_READ.BIN. I guess, it has been binhack in order to build the .cdi, but I don't know how I could "unbinhack" a 1st_read.bin ? I try to binhack at 45000 lba like the disc file tell me the beginning of the track03.bin but it doesn't works...
    I add the subtitles in the shenhua intro because there are not in this .cdi release.
    Just the time for repack and try it. I'm Crossing fingers if every things is well, I can release it tomorrow. This first disc have 2 cdda tracks. There are not essential but I hope this will be a perfect release as possible.

For the french subtitles the shenmuemaster french team has done a release with 70% for the 1st disc and 50% for the second during adventure mode. all have already be translate. This is an amazing work I let you imagine.
    Now I try to finished the translating work (be you're right, it's so long for one person) and repack the AFS files with the english speech. sometime there is a minor difference in the AFS file but repack the AFS in better form as possible could take a while...

Anthony817 and truemaster1 like this.
  4. Anthony817

Anthony817 Familiar Face

Yeah, that one Mega link I posted in my thread at Shenmue Dojo is the best version of Shenmue 2 English speech. Very clear speech, just as on the original Xbox version.

Good luck with this translation, hopefully francophone's can get a nice version when you are done. Lets also hope somebody can help you with this as this is going to be quite the undertaking for 1 man, but not impossible.

truemaster1 likes this.
  5. fafadou

Here the first disc of shenmue II with english speech in gdi format with cdda tracks and bonus in the track01.bin :
    https://mega.nz/#!MvIFxQDZ!NcvFOq_ze3x_sxZ-RJKkZAEgnNt4NEZ5rHDAnbU6vJA

Run with nulldc and the add of subtitles during the shenhua works well. As I said, I have to pick the 1st_read.bin original and not the one of the .cdi released in the .cdi because of binhack I suppose. I hope it works well, and I can build the others discs soon.

@Anthony : Yeah it's very huge and my skill is limited lol I have a break for few days because my brain is overheated lol. I report my difficulties here. Even if no one can help, sometimes write can help for thinking. Many thanks for your support :)

Anthony817 and truemaster1 like this.
  6. truemaster1

yes do that take the 1stbin and ip bin from original untouched disks. note the 1stbins are the same in all 4 disks but ip bins are not so be carefull not to mix them

fafadou likes this.
  7. Anthony817

Anthony817 Familiar Face

Hey just an idea, but why not also make a post over at Shenmue Dojo? You might actually get the help you need. There are tons of people there that might be able to contribute towards your endeavor.

fafadou and truemaster1 like this.
  8. fafadou

I did it but no answer maybe I have to do a new topic.

I'm uploading the others discs, I tried for fun to create a release with widescreen hacks but be carreful if you play on a real console the game may crashed. With my nulldc the first disc boot but crashed at the main screen...
    here :
    shenmue II eng speech GD 1
    https://mega.nz/#!MvIFxQDZ!NcvFOq_ze3x_sxZ-RJKkZAEgnNt4NEZ5rHDAnbU6vJA

shenmue II eng speech GD 2
    https://mega.nz/#!I2x2AQqb!hS-pcvJTtSj1YVZMcDGPB6EVag6-oYyTXnvPrZv2qMU

shenmue II eng speech GD3
    https://mega.nz/#!Vi5nQIgJ!3AsiphVdtIpj6vyvGR-mSNB43G3pApC-NmvT9hSCzFc

shenmue II eng speech GD4
    https://mega.nz/#!V2xnRTiC!EOUgOlpdsdk37rF1TFbuHjKDjmF2h62nQq_lKP3OJ6U

shenmue II eng speech widescreen hack GD1
    https://mega.nz/#!kmQi1IZR!Q3j9suM-JxjNE1raYGCOx_FwM5PDn43lw2sIpb_EdfE

shenmue II eng speech widescreen hack GD2
    https://mega.nz/#!hjohHAyL!5Reu9M4Xddb5dRRjacCYpUVx2dlQ6AG2xTq8TKBfXPE

If the widescreen hacks works for you, I'll released the others discs.

Spec, Teddy Rogers and Anthony817 like this.
  9. fafadou

go back to the french subtitles with english i need help please :
    I have a problem with 0008.AFS file…
    It's arm wresting text files in the harbor.

In the English speech there are 493 speech lines
    In the French version there are 481 speech lines...

in a first time I want to import only the same files in the french xml list. But in the french list there are 3 files in str format than ahx so I can't do this and if there is missing one speech line I want to add it. I can't repack my afs after.
    I tried to changed the list of files in the xml list with excel and it doesn’t works idem when I'm using the block note, it looks the format become not good with afs util after that…

I don’t know how I can add, the lines in the .srf French file the tools is for tranlasting not for adding or deleting subtitle lines.

And with hexedit, I tried to add the speech lines manually and srf tool doesn’t want to open my new .srf after that...

The additional lines name to be added are :
    008B003.ahx
    008B004.ahx
    008B005.ahx
    008B006.ahx
    008E050.ahx
    008E051.ahx
    008G051.ahx edit 008G031.ahx
    008N010.ahx
    008N012.ahx
    008O010.ahx
    008O012.ahx

There is no subtitle except for G051 "this time for 20$" it's maybe one forgets. the others files are maybe some around recording for arm wrestling during the game.

For now the only issue is to translate manually the 493 lines in french. How can I do faster changing .xml or .srf ?

Thanks for your help, I hope I'm clear enough

Maybe I have to have a look in the second disk, I suppose they must be the same than the 1st disc. edit same thing in the second disc...

Last edited: Aug 4, 2017
  10. truemaster1

latest version of nulldc makes the game crash even if not widescreen patched. i think latest widescreen patches overcome the crashing on real hardware maybe @Esppiral can confirm this

fafadou likes this.
  11. fafadou

Ok, I'll try to test the game in a real hardware.

I'have found an issue for 008.afs, I have taken the xml list from the pal version and it's exctly the same files than the shenmuemaster french version except the srt format si not used and I have only ahx format. There is no forget in the shenmuemaster version.

I guess there are some add in the xbox version for arm wrestling speech, I don't know if the dreamcast version call them. when I can change the srf subtitle. I add the news speech files. it's a minor things anyway.

12. Benji

Benji Member

Thanks fafadou this worked perfect on my GD-USB speech was like I remembered it on my xbox copy :) not using the widescreen as my CRT is 4:3 now I have the PAL JPN speech and PAL ENG speech using the save was able to switch between the two.

fafadou likes this.
  13. -=FamilyGuy=-

-=FamilyGuy=- Site Supporter 2049

To change the binhack value of a 1st_read.bin that's already binhacked:

1- find "CD001" in the file, note its offset
    2- 8 bytes before that offset write the new LBA+166 in big endian hex (4bytes long)

For 45000 LBA: 45166 = 0x6EB0 0000

You might also be able to simply use binhack 32 to get the same effect. If hack1/2/3/4 has been applied, simply search for the cdi LBA, LBA+150 and LBA+166 and replace with the corresponding target LBA, still in big endian.

fafadou likes this.
  14. fafadou

I try the game and it works well the widescreen hack is amazing ! But during cutscene wihtout the blacks bands the dreamcast can't follow even if there is something huge to move like the first when the little boy advise Ryo to give a little money for having fortune.
    So it will be better with the blacks bands for a real dreamcast I hope it's easy to change.

@family guy thanks I will try to do this and compare the version. If the english speech version have more things than the PAL I keep this one.

I build the two others disc with widecscreen hack and english speech in gdi format soon.

For now I am at the half of cinematic scene and a quarter of the humans.AFS file. To be continued :)

15. Teddy Rogers

Teddy Rogers Spirited Member

Does anyone know if there is an improvement here with overclocked Dreamcasts?

Ted.

Anthony817 and fafadou like this.
  16. fafadou

A test can be done too with an usbgdrom or a gdemu with a fast data transfer for usb hdd/stick or sd card.

17. fafadou

There is huge difference between the free01 between english speech and pal speech for subtitles.
    In pal a few part are readable (probably the rest is always in japanese), and in english all of them are readable. I'm really curious to see if every file is used during the game (around 25000 lines of subtitles ^^) it's very huge for only one folder than the others.

I try to unbinhack the 1st_read.bin english but it didn't works, I used the ip.bin pal maybe I have to used the ip.bin from the english speech. The method is the same for "unbinhack" it ?

18. truemaster1

binhack to 45000 lba that sould fix the 1st_read.bin and use the ip.bin from untouched gdi since ip.bin didnt unpatched completly

fafadou likes this.
  19. fafadou

thanks. You're right the track03.bin start at 45000lba. But strangely it does't works too...
    So for I will repack my english speech and french subtitles with the PAL widescreen hacks.

All the AFS files are repack. Seems to be good in my tests but I found a lot of PKF file which are not in AFS files. The sizes are always the same between jap and english speech. So for now I continue to keep the PAL PKF.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2017
    Anthony817 likes this.
  20. fafadou

Last edited: Sep 6, 2017
    truemaster1 likes this.