Share your xbox Mods/Customizations!

Discussion in 'Xbox (Original console)' started by ToxicMedz, Jul 7, 2014.

1. Commander47

Commander47 Spirited Member

Not sure pal , i also have various other things like a plastic plate with L.E.D glued around it that sits perfectly under the jewel and plugs in without messing , also i have proper silent fan kits that come with the hardrive carrier and just fit in without dremel work and botching , i will look in my storage unit on saturday and let you know.
    I also have a strange team sticker that sits were the jewel goes.

2. ToxicMedz

ToxicMedz Enthusiastic Member

That is really impressive! Wish I knew how to do that kind of lighting!

Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2015
  3. Looney Bin Jim

Looney Bin Jim Spirited Member

They released non halo edition green boxes in Europe and Canada, but not the USA. That is probably why your not used to seeing them...Not many about though, way more Halo editions. Weird huh? We got crystals coming out of our arses over here in UK!

4. ToxicMedz

I wish I could find more locally, I had to get my crystal xbox shipped in from Canada xP

5. Looney Bin Jim

Looney Bin Jim Spirited Member

Shit man! I would have sent you a crystal case for cheap! I am thinking about selling Crystal cases for cheap on here, since they are not available in the USA and they contain shwag-ass 1.6 boards! Once I reach 50 posts of course!

6. Borman

Borman Digital Games Curator

Canada is a bit closer than the UK, and cheaper for shipping hah

Last edited: Jul 10, 2014
  7. jgs600

jgs600 <B>Site Supporter 2014</B>

the halo green crystal box was sold in europe without the halo sticker on it, so i guess you could say its a standard green crystal box i guess. i do own a halo xbox but i had to buy this from the states :)

8. davidthomas

davidthomas Site Supporter 2013,2014

I wish I could find a crystal case with a non 1.6 motherboard in it. I hate the fact that it is missing that screw hole and the screw holes under the AV port are shorter when you put a non 1.6 board in the 1.6 case. It bugs the crap out of me. I know that they made non 1.6 cases but I have not come across one yet!

9. HEX1GON

HEX1GON FREEZE! Scumbag

You'll have high chances in Australia, the High Performance Pack had crystal systems with 1.2 :)

10. ToxicMedz

Very excited!
    Just received my motherboard modded by Trusty with the upgraded processor with speed switch and 128mb ram installed!!
    Wasn't expecting it but he already had installed the pinheader I needed for my x3 as well! Made for a very quick install into my system. I've got it all installed and working, just need to modify the hard drive tray to fit over the new heats ink and fan.

speaking of the fan, it's loud as balls! Anyone out there with a trusty board know of a good alternative for that thing? I'd greatly appreciate that! :)

Last edited: Jul 11, 2014
  11. weinerschnitzel

weinerschnitzel Spirited Member

The heatsink is DIY, You can try making one yourself that's taller and has a bigger fan, but you will also have to remove your dvd tray so you can move the HDD over. If you're ambitious enough to build a better heatsink, I'd buy one from you.

I'll be adding a Xerc2 and YPbPr + SPDIF to HDMI adapter to my trusty with the speed switch. I was going to use a VGA adapter but they are harder to find in the right size with proper resolutions. I fitted an X3 and X3CP to it. It's also in Halo green case and I'm quite happy with it. I'll share some pictures later this weekend after I modify it some more. :)

I also bought a smoke black xbox the other day. Damn, I wanted that since it came out! Excited.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2014
  12. davidthomas

davidthomas Site Supporter 2013,2014

I own a few trusty boards and have had a few more of them from friends over the years. If I were you I would remove the heat sinks and replace the thermal paste. I am not sure what he uses but when you use arctic silver it will run a little bit cooler. The main reason to replace the thermal paste is the fact that on the GPU he uses some type of glue instead of the paste.

When I pulled the GPU off I was really surprised to find it stuck on with something clear. But then I realized it is because he cuts the black frame and the clamp does not work very good anymore. So I always make a new black frame with all the side attached. If you take your time you can make the side that he cuts off thin enough to clear the new heatsink. This way when you use arctic silver you can have a secure clamp because all the sides are intact.

I am not knocking Trusty in any way! I like the guy and he has been really fair with me in the past. He also really knows what he is doing. I just wanted to let you in on what my findings were. This is also not just 1 board that I got from him like that. It was all 3 that had the glue and not thermal paste.

13. ToxicMedz

Yea I noticed that the gpu heatsink wasnt very secure and found that he had cut off the one side. I'll likely be repairing that in the next day or two. the gpu's heatsink wasn't glued on to me but had a very cheap grey thermal paste with a almost gummy texture. not so great. Already replaced that with artic silver I want to do it to the CPU as well but I'm nervous about taking that bit apart. Is the modification sturdy enough to be messed with? If start messing with it and when I go to power it back on and it doesn't work I'm going to be vomiting everywhere xD

Heres my Trusty xbox... trying to figure out a different cooling solution.. 130F or about 52c is WAY too hot for my liking.

View attachment 11041
    View attachment 11042

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2014
  14. Rocky5

Rocky5 Site Supporter 2015

Click the the image for a slideshow, there were to many images to post.
    [​IMG]

15. ToxicMedz

what is that wireless dongle and how is it wired in? Does that give the xbox internal wifi to connect to your network? If so does it have to be WEP or can it use WPA2?

Edit: Welp, had to email Trusty. board is fragging.. No idea why didn't even really do anything, changed the thermal paste and decided I didn't want to use the fan he gave me so instead of unsoldering the wires to the fan he installed I cut them and soldered in a 2 pin fan header to them so I could just plug in what ever fan I wanted to use. Installed a different fan and tried to turn it on and I'm getting the 2 restart issue.... I hate my life -.-'

Last edited: Jul 14, 2014
  16. Rocky5

Its wired to the LPC port for its 5v power & I uses an flat Ethernet cable to connect it to the Ethernet port.

its setup as a repeater, so as far as the Xbox is concerned it connected via Ethernet to the router. (When really its via wifi)

Last edited: Jul 15, 2014
  17. ToxicMedz

very tricky! do you happen to remember what the product was originally? I would love to try to replicate that mod. hate that any wireless connector of era cant do wpa2, wep encryption is far too weak anymore.

Edit: Found it, had to look on Amazon.co.uk to find one though. $33 bucks to get it into the states... i'll put this mod on the backburner for now

Last edited: Jul 16, 2014
  18. Rocky5

$20 in the states.
    http://www.amazon.com/Jesi-LB-Link-BL-MP01-150Mbps-Wireless/dp/B00JLAEVB4

19. ToxicMedz

Last edited: Jul 20, 2014
  20. Rocky5

That looks well nice, I would love to have a white xbox but I can't spray paint for #@%#

I have tried in the past & they never come out good :(