Shadow of the Colossus - Potential Debug

Discussion in 'File Downloads - Share and Request' started by AndrewFM, Feb 23, 2014.

1. unclejun

unclejun Site Supporter 2011-2014

I have no idea where it came from originally. I imagine it was made for testing some parts of the game or demoing the various colossi without having to play through the entire game.
    TEST units can read burned master discs, either made by the official Sony cdvdgen software or by a homebrew tool.

2. cobracon2

cobracon2 Rapidly Rising Member

Thank you so much for all your hard work on this guys. Was just playing around with this. Very cool.

3. PixelButts

PixelButts Site Soldier

did you play the fixed one too?

4. cobracon2

Thats what I was playing till it crashed. Believe it or not I've never played this game before. I've also never played ICO. After seeing the debugs I need to get these games like asap.

5. l_oliveira

l_oliveira Officer at Arms

Master disks (DVD-R) work on TOOL and TEST, perfectly fine. TEST PS2 won't have means to properly debug it but it will let you playtest it, sure thing.
    That is the point for TEST PS2 existing. (playtesting of prototype builds)

6. wisi

wisi Rising Member

Thanks, unclejun and l_oliveira. I was confused about the purpose of TEST PS2 models for a long time. This makes it clear. :)

7. cobracon2

Yes I did. Pretty awesome via emulation.

8. wisi

wisi Rising Member

Some time ago, an updated version of the "DebugEnabler" was made.

This version starts the player at the Dam and has loaded collision models there, so the player can walk there at last. :)
    Unlocking the debug menu is also possible - it requires a five-button combination: D-pad Left + some other buttons + Select, but this is not specified exactly because this version is only meant to show the collisions at the Dam. There are a lot of new features in the menu, that can be used for extending the game even further, but at this point I do not know if I will continue work on this.

Link:

Vedita BR, speedyink and Shuji like this.
  9. unclejun

unclejun Site Supporter 2011-2014

Amazing job again!

wisi likes this.
  10. Diablodin

Diablodin Robust Member

Awesome! Fantastic work!

11. wisi

wisi Rising Member

Will anybody be willing to test this on a PS3 and report the results - whether it starts at all?
    I am open to suggestions on how to debug this. Does ps2link work on the PS3?

EDIT (after PixelButts reply): Link: https://bit.ly/2DFu53f

Last edited: Nov 24, 2018
  12. PixelButts

PixelButts Site Soldier

As long as its done properly I bet it might on the hardware supported models. Upload an ISO and someone can try

13. fate6

fate6 Haha, I killed a Pumpkin!

14. wisi

wisi Rising Member

Thank you for testing!
    I have seen this problem before, (only) on PCSX2, under different conditions, related to how the ISO was built and its size. This problem (almost) never seems to occur when the game is loaded on a PS2 through OPL, but I have not tested with ESR for example (as OPL replaces CDVDMAN, and other related modules). However I never managed to find the actual cause for it. On the PS2 and PCSX2, the workaround for this is to make the ISO at least 1.2GB in size, however there were cases when this criteria was met and the issue would still occur. I have also observed random cases when the game complains that files are missing on the CDVD (on both the PS2 and PCSX2), even though they are present, which sometimes occurs on the first reset and sometimes only after a few resets ("reset" would mean reload of the game's XFF executable files, and not reset of the PS2 or the IOP). But this particular problem may be due to my code, as it usually only occurs after it has been loaded (randomly though).
    Actually the IOP reset image is successfully loaded from the CDVD, but the first module loaded afterwards fails to be found on CDVD.

Several weeks ago I was trying to find the exact cause of this problem, but failed.
    It may be that the current ISO fails on the PS3 because it was made through modifying it with UltraISO rather than using CDVDGEN.
    This problem seems too difficult to solve and at this point I don't think it is justified doing so.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2018
  15. nonijod

nonijod Member

Tried it on my CECHA00. With your original .iso I was getting the "Couldn't load" error, but after recreating the .iso with CDVDGEN it works just fine. Minor thing is that the controller needs to be reconnected asap, otherwise it'll crash at startup.

wisi likes this.
  16. wisi

wisi Rising Member

Since the last problems I had in building an ISO that works on PS2 (native CDVD driver and not OPL) / PS3 / PCSX2, I haven't been able to make a (decently) working ISO.
    I followed these steps:
    Extracted all the files from the current ISO; Add the additional files; Using CDVDGEN 1.50 include the files (I didn't check the order though); Change the Disc Name field (in the Volume tab) accordingly and not fill the other fields; Exported an IML file and then opened it with IML2ISO 3.1 to build the ISO.
    The results vary depending on the size of the files included and the game version used:
    - usually it (almost) always works through OPL, but on some resets it fails with missing files on the DVD and on further resets never runs again (constantly complains of missing files). (By "reset" I mean an in-game reload of the game's core files - the game itself supports this.)
    - most builds work on older PCSX2 versions, but in some cases there happens to be a build that fails with missing files. Unlike on the PS2, the failing on PCSX2 is more consistent (although I am not completely sure about this) - it fails on regular number of resets or always fails.
    - PS2 loaded by modchip from DVD disc or PS3 - always fails (but I haven't tested this myself).

So from the above I am certain that there is something wrong with the ISO, that got fixed by rebuilding the ISO as nonijod reported above, but I can't seem to replicate building it correctly. There is also the chance that there are more than one problems, and the problem on the PS3, fixed by rebuilding the ISO is a different one from what I sometimes observe through OPL or PCSX2.
    I am out of ideas, so if anybody has any suggestions, I would be interested to know them.

This is the ISO rebuilt with CDVDGEN as described above: http://www.mediafire.com/file/fwmgol6zznpf39z/SCPS_150.97.SotC_12_SolidDam.7z/file should anybody want to test it on a PS3 and report if it works as is.
    I tested it on a PS2 through OPL and it does fail sometimes, which I think is a clear sign it will always fail if loaded directly from disc (using a modchip). If it fails on a PS3, then there will be more certainty that the two issues are related. On PCSX2 it does work, but I didn't try multiple reloads.

17. PixelButts

PixelButts Site Soldier

It booted but it crashed on boot as you can see. Hitting the start button as instructed doesn't do anything so uh
    game Screenshot 2019-04-18 16-02-27.png

18. nonijod

nonijod Member

Works just fine on my PS3, loading the .iso from webMAN in XMB.
    Reconnect the controller as soon as possible.

19. PixelButts

PixelButts Site Soldier

Apparently that works
    game Screenshot 2019-04-18 19-08-38.png

20. wisi

wisi Rising Member

Thank you for testing.
    Thanks to further feedback from nonijod, it turned-out that there are actually three issues:

- Incorrectly built ISO (not with CDVDGEN) did not run at all on PS3 (and perhaps also PS2 from DVD). - Fixed by building with CDVDGEN.

- The controller having to be reconnected soon after booting the game, or else it would crash as shown by PixelButts above (due to allegedly missing sheet file). This seems to be fixed in later versions of the debugEnabler (debug menu), so I probably fixed it and forgot about it. Although it seems the controller still needs to be reconnected, otherwise the game complains the controller is missing (on the PS3 only).

- The age-old bug with the game randomly "thinking" that certain files are missing on the CDVD. Further tests on PCSX2 showed that it is caused by calling sceCdLayerSearchFile() too soon after other CDVD functions were last called. sceCdLayerSearchFile() calls PollSema() internally, which fails if the semaphore is not free. What happens is that the last use of CDVD resources, kept the semaphore busy, and even after the return of the last function (whatever it was), the last iSignalSema() was not yet called by the time the following sceCdLayerSearchFile() called PollSema() resulting in it returning -1 and sceCdLayerSearchFile exiting with missing file flag (0).
    At other instances in the game, sceCdLayerSearchFile() can be seen called in a loop with sceCdDiskReady() (in blocking mode) before it, which perhaps fixes this problem (or maybe sceCdSync() should be used instead). Another workaround is adding simple execution delay - a simple loop delaying for at least 0xFFFFF cycles (of course this is unsafe). So it seems the IOP was not ready soon enough with CDVD processing. However I used a hack-fix to workaround this instead - by changing the first call to PollSema() in sceCdLayerSearchFile to WaitSema(). Although I am still not sure if this is the real problem or only a side-effect of it - I guess time will tell. :)