Selfboot 45000LBA DATA/DATA Pack v1.4 - All-32bit edition

Discussion in 'Sega Dreamcast Development and Research' started by -=FamilyGuy=-, Sep 1, 2012.

1. -=FamilyGuy=-

-=FamilyGuy=- Site Supporter 2049

The way I understand libmirage (but I haven't reviewed it in depth), is that it contains sufficient information on the structure of the format to build a CDI that'd be compatible with libmirage itself, but there a lot of undocumented/ignored parts that'd make such a cdi not necessary compatible with DiscJuggler itself or programs using "proper" libraries.

tl;dr: most cdi can be extracted using padus's dlls or libmirage (or gditools for LBA11702 ones), but to build them we need more information/reverse-engineering!

Want to get a crack at it MetalliC? :)

PS: Padus used to sell the "Padus Foundation Class SDK" which is basically to source code to DJ bar the gui.

2. truemaster1

truemaster1 Gutsy Member

thanks for reply family guy. i try dreamtools 1.06 it can create alcohol images with cdda but when i start an emulator (i always do before burning) it freeze on sega logo if i start emulator go to play audio disk i can hear the audio tracks. so something goes wrong with dreamtools about hacking the bins or it creates the image with wrong lbas.

3. -=FamilyGuy=-

You're welcome.

How do you build the mds/mdf images?
    Do you correctly apply binhack for the lba of the 2nd session? On all the relevant binaries?
    Are you sure your game has no other copy protection?
    Are you sure your game actually works on the emulator?

I personally use a CD-RW for my audio/data selfboots. Then I make an image of it, blank it and I'm ready for another.

4. truemaster1

truemaster1 Gutsy Member

the dreamtools have options for diskjuggler image nero image and alcohol image. about bin hacking i thing dreamtools make that automatickly

5. -=FamilyGuy=-

I didn't notice you talked about dreamtools. I don't know it, so I can't help you really.

The behaviour you describe is typical of bad lba in the bootbin (1st_read.bin) or improperly hacked bootsector (ip.bin) though.

6. truemaster1

truemaster1 Gutsy Member

so if i copy the ip.bin and 1st_read.bin created by your tool use the binhack32 again from your tool and take them to dreamtools??? maybe the combination of those two tools are the way

7. -=FamilyGuy=-

As you pointed out, my selfboot pack is aimed only at data/data 45000LBA, so the sdcripts provided within don't consider other lbas.
    Though binhack32/binhack64 provided in it will hack your binaries correctly.

This is what you should do:
    - Backup the original ip.bin and 1st_read.bin.
    - Calculate the lba of 2nd session, typically done by burning first session and using cdrecord msinfo to retrive that value. Let's call this lba X.
    - Put the 1st_read.bin and ip.bin in the same folder
    - Hack the 1st_read.bin to lba X, when it asks for a bootsector, type "ip.hak". (binhack always uses ip.bin as the input bootsector, using ip.hak instead of ip.bin you don't overwrite it)
    - Put back the 1st_read.bin where it belongs for the selfboot purposes
    - Use ip.hak as the bootsector, renaming it to ip.bin if need be.

Note that some games have further copy protection that you have to bypass, also most games will need to be hacked with "dahack" and "cdda" for correct cdda support (else you might have wrong/missing tracks in-game).

EDIT: Check here for infos on most protected games: http://www.bucanero.com.ar/dreamcast/ripdb/

8. yzb37859365

yzb37859365 Spirited Member

Selfboot 45000LBA DATA/DATA Pack v1.4 VERY GDDO

I've been using it.....:D

fafadou and -=FamilyGuy=- like this.
  9. truemaster1

truemaster1 Gutsy Member

i have a friend that want dreamexplorer and the action replay his dc is weird it can read 45000 lba fine but older cdis that are 11700 0r 11702 lba his laser really strugle to read dreamexplorer isnt boot at all. is any way to extract them and rebuild them with this tool??

10. -=FamilyGuy=-

I doubt this would be a laser problem, 11700 might be problematic to burn with modern burners because it's borderline "legal".

Nonetheless, it should be possible to extract the files from those images and hack the 1ST_READ.BIN back to 45000LBA so it work with my pack. Binhack32 should do it fine, but if other LBA-related hacks were applied they might have to be undone manually.

truemaster1 likes this.
  11. truemaster1

truemaster1 Gutsy Member

how to extract? (ive try to mount the image and put the files to data the i obtain the ip.bin from a gdi game (dont know how to extract it from cdi) i use binhack32 to hack 1st_read.bin to 45000 lba but the image freeze in sega logo on demul (the untouch cdi plays though)

12. -=FamilyGuy=-

I just realized that dreamexplorer is a homebrew. As such it might not need any binhacking, but it might require being descrambled. The bootstrap my pack uses expects an unscrambled binary, as is the case with commercial binaries.

truemaster1 likes this.
  13. truemaster1

truemaster1 Gutsy Member

the action replay one when i mount it it has only the 1st_read.bin and binhack32 have no effect on it strange

14. -=FamilyGuy=-

I edited my answer above, reread it for more info.
    The AR can also be considered "homebrew" in the sense that it doesn't use the standard gd-rom bootstrap and they probably just scrambled the binary on the disc instead of having the ip.bin rescramble it in memory.

truemaster1 likes this.
  15. truemaster1

truemaster1 Gutsy Member

i will retest now

16. truemaster1

truemaster1 Gutsy Member

your the man i unscrabble the 1st_read.bin using SIZIOUS bincheck and it works without lba rehack

-=FamilyGuy=- likes this.
  17. -=FamilyGuy=-

You're welcome!

18. truemaster1

truemaster1 Gutsy Member

so dreamexplorer is ok now:) the action replay must have some protection is in scrumbble state but it cant unsrambbled also not even binhack32 had effect on it the (created day stays the same 20-10-2000)

19. -=FamilyGuy=-

Binhack32 is solely made for Katana binaries, it should have no effect on non-Katana ones, or a weird one. (It does try to recognize WinCE and ignore it though)

Since the AR was sold pressed on a CD as a 11702LBA selfboot, its code might very well be hardcoded for this LBA in lots of places instead of using a few libraries that handle LBA themselves. In which case searching for hex(11702+166) and changing it for hex(45166) might be worth a try. Keep in mind you should look for it in big endian.

20. TerdFerguson

TerdFerguson ls ~/

Interesting, was this before or after selfbooting was discovered?