Sel error: 120 on 32X

Discussion in 'Mega Everdrive / Everdrive MD' started by Raoul Duke, Oct 9, 2014.

1. Raoul Duke

Raoul Duke Newly Registered

So I recently picked up an Everdrive and am having some strange issues with the 32X. Everdrive works just fine with just the Genesis/Sega CD combo, but once I install the 32X, things go downhill. The 32X works fine with 32X carts (Chaotix, Doom, Virtua Racing) and works with Genesis carts just as it all should. With the Everdive, the menu loads, but when I select "Play Game" the screen just blinks and returns to the menu. When I go to select a game I get this:

fat init HC

Then this:

sel error: 120

Without the 32X, and no other changes, everything works fine. I've tried a few things... I've completely removed the Sega CD, I've reformated the SD, I have flashed a 32X ROM without the 32X and tried to execute them on the 32X but to no avail. I pretty well Googled theses errors and there isn't a whole lot of info on them.

Otherwise the 32X works, the ED works, just not together, which is weird. Any ideas?

2. Nomad

Nomad Member

Ok, I let me see if I got this fix for ya. I had this same exact error a year or so back. And I got it fixed after much troubleshooting.

What's probably happened is a pad has lifted on the topside of the board inside the 32x.
    (See photo 1)Where the resistor and the red wire meet, they are also attached to a trace pad on the circuit board(this pad is the one probably lifted).
    All you need to do is solder a wire from where the red wire and resistor are soldered together on the topside, thru the hole, to the underside of the board connecting to the sixth pin from the end
    (B27) on the bottom row. See the photos, let me know if this fixes your issue.

32x topside.JPG
    32x toplarge.JPG
    32x bottomlarge.JPG

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 12, 2014
  3. Raoul Duke

Do the red and blue lines on your images represent the same single wire?

4. Nomad

Nomad Member

yes, they do. i just chose blue for the larger photos so it could be seen easier.
    and sel error:120 was the same exact error i was getting from my Everdrive MD, with the exact same conditions you described.

One note: when you take the 32x apart, on the bottomside of the top circuitboard, there's a little black plastic spacer right under the cartridge slot, I used a knife to cut a notch for the wire.
    top.JPG
    101_1063.JPG
    101_1064.JPG
    101_1068.JPG

Last edited: Oct 13, 2014
  5. Raoul Duke

Oh now this is absolutely brilliant. Your fix sir, worked flawlessly and was the precise problem I was having. There is no way in hell I would have ever figured that out. Thank you for taking the time to help me out with this, and if I could nominate you for some sort of award, I would.

6. Nomad

Nomad Member

Good to hear. It took me awhile to figure it out. The pad being lifted wasn't obvious to the naked eye because it's hidden under the spot of the red wire and resistor fix that SEGA did at the factory. Once I started probing around checking continuity on the traces, is when I found it.
    This should also help anyone else getting the
    fat init HC
    sel error: 120

7. gtsamour

gtsamour Rapidly Rising Member

Hi,
    sorry to bring this thread back from the dead but this is the only one that I found something similar to my issue.
    Nomad above posted a picture that depicts a cut trace, my 32X has the exact same trace cut and I couldn't find anything on the net saying what purpose this serves.

[​IMG]

Unfortunately Nomad hasn't logged in for years so I doubt he can help me.
    Does someone know what purpose cutting this trace serves? Is it cut by factory?

8. gtsamour

gtsamour Rapidly Rising Member

Sorry, double post