Sega Teradrive CPU upgrade to 486DX.

Discussion in 'Modding and Hacking - Consoles and Electronics' started by Ronnie, Sep 29, 2018.

1. Ronnie

Ronnie Spirited Member

Life has been hectic but I had a chance to finally test some cpu upgrades in a Teradrive and I can confirm they work.
    After doing some of my earlier Teradrive modifications as seen on this thread: https://assemblergames.com/threads/sega-teradrive-simms-ram-upgrade-help-needed.62782/ I got a hold of some cpu upgrade boards.

The biggest/huge improvement came with the Rev to 486 board that runs at 66 Mhz. This upgrade board also comes with a socket for an internal Math co-processor. Without it the Teradrive displays as 486SX

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Once fully populated and as described by the Rev to 486 manual, it brings it to 486DX status.

[​IMG]

Others tests.
    Sound Blaster Pro 2 test (don't forget the Teradrive lacks the -12V -5V power lines)

Sega Teradrive in composite video mode so it can run the demo in full color.

Next in line was the Kingston SXNow (386) upgrade and while it works is on the slower side and there is also one major caveat, while on the socket & due to the aesthetics and board size, some of the cpu upgrade chips make contact with some of the Teradrive board IC's. I was able to still install/test it while the board was inserted at an angle :D.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 29, 2018
    Durandal, CkRtech and Taijigamer2 like this.
  2. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

Is that an evergreen cpu? Not seen one for a long long time

Edit:
    No its not, but looks similar

Ronnie likes this.
  3. Ronnie

Ronnie Spirited Member

Yes, the first one is the Rev to 486 (Evergreen Technologies)

Durandal likes this.
  4. 8bitplus

8bitplus Gutsy Member

But will it play Doom :)

Durandal likes this.
  5. CkRtech

CkRtech Spirited Member

Awesome, Ronnie. I would no doubt pursue some of the same PC-side upgrades that you are performing should a Teradrive fall into my lap... somehow.

6. Durandal

Durandal Spirited Member

Unfortunately not, unless we (and by we I mean mostly @Ronnie :p) can figure out how to add more ram. Doom requires 4MB at the minimum and won't even start up unless it detects that much.

However, I may have an expensive solution to the problem... PM incoming, Ronnie. :D