Sega Saturn (Victor) VA9 Modchip Mess

Discussion in 'Repair, Restoration, Conservation and Preservation' started by Shane McRetro, Aug 6, 2016.

1. Shane McRetro

Shane McRetro Blast Processed Since 199X

Howdy, just pulled this one apart and was greeted by an old school (i.e. non-Phantom Universal modchip) but also noticed some wires a little deeper. So I dug a little deeper and found the a 74HC157 tapped into a few points. Any ideas on what this chip and the green wire link does and if I'm all good to remove it?

I have a feeling it has something to do with hex inverters and EMSIC v3 or v4 modchips. Am I close? Anyway, enjoy the photos! :)

IMG_1616.JPG IMG_1617.JPG IMG_1618.JPG IMG_1620.JPG IMG_1621.JPG IMG_1622.JPG IMG_1623.JPG IMG_1624.JPG

2. Nopileus

Nopileus Rapidly Rising Member

Looks like an oldschool switchless region mod to me, god knows how it works though.

Shane McRetro likes this.
  3. X5900

X5900 Rising Member

If I remember correctly, this one was to switch between JAP and US mode, the reset button makes the Saturn think its either a JAP or US model, depending of its origin. The green wire is a legit factory botch wire.

4. Shane McRetro

Ahhhhhh *reinstalls green wire while no one is watching*

Thanks for the feedback folks, appreciated as always! :)

irvgotti452, Mord.Fustang and X5900 like this.
  5. Lum

Lum Officer at Arms

I think those guys are right. It shouldn't play retail PAL games. (or video mode. although few games need that part, and it entails RGB or fixing the color)

6. Shane McRetro

Yep, looks like by removing whatever it did do stopped the console from being a recognised proper region, hardcoding of NTSC-U, NTSC-J and PAL perhaps? What gave that away was the "Cartridge unsuitable for this system" with an Action Replay and GameShark, which meant I'd have no chance getting a disc working either. That's why I was also getting "Game disk unsuitable for this system" on NTSC-U, NTSC-J and PAL retail disc, audio CDs still worked well though.

@Nopileus cracked the code to work out which exact jumpers needed to be bridged. A JP6 and JP11 later and it was back to Japanese and reading GameShark / Action Replays without a hitch, and played CD-R backups with no issue. Perfect!

@TriMesh threw in a bit of info about the possible regions, 14 useable with an additional two "do not use" regions for 16 total. Who knows, I could have been using one of those!

before.png after.png

Thanks to all again! And to anyone finding this thread in the future - check your jumpers! :)

References:
    http://segasaturngroup.proboards.com/thread/1393/game-disk-unsuitable-system
    https://knzl.de/saturnmod/
    http://wolfsoft.de/wordpress/?p=354