Sega Saturn Region Free BIOS

Discussion in 'Sega Saturn Programming and Development' started by Serantes, Jun 12, 2011.

1. angryswede

angryswede Rising Member

The chip comes from Bad_Ad84 so I trust it's correctly burned. I've now removed the new bios and checked all traces which are fine. One thing Bad_ad suggested was to check the traces under the three dots of glue, but they are unfortunately fine as well. I have absolutely no idea where to go next. :(

Edit: Solved! Found a sneaky via with a severed connection to a pad. A big thank you to bad_ad84 that took time to offer advice in several pm:s!

As others have stated it's not a very good idea to clip the legs on the original bios. Did another one with a proper smd station and had no damage to that board.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2015
  2. WingMantis

WingMantis Active Member

Hi there, the links in the these older posts about a Save RAM mod are dead. Someone started a thread the other day about upgrading the Saturn Save Memory, and I have been participating here: https://assemblergames.com/threads/sega-saturn-save-memory.67026/#post-950645

We have a couple links there to other sites where people have either upgraded the capacity with an address line switching PIC, or used FRAM to make the saves non-volatile.

Come talk in the linked thread or if another topic already exists, point me to it :)

Thanks

3. Korn16ftl3

Korn16ftl3 Robust Member

God damn it...I posted in the wrong thread/tab...someone delete this reply please...../facepalm

Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
  4. Getta Robo

Getta Robo Robust Member

Has anyone tried to flash Gamenavi HiSaturn 1.03 bios into a retail Saturn unit? If yes, are there any issues or incompatibilities?
    Also, did somebody patched 1.03 into region free like the rest of the bios? I can't find it anywhere.

5. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

I have patched all bioses that are available. Including that one.

Will upload when at a pc

Getta Robo likes this.
  6. Getta Robo

Getta Robo Robust Member

Good old Bad_Ad84, always to the rescue! Have you tried it out? Basically I love the 1.03 bios sequence so I'd like to use that one, however I'm not sure if it would be compatible with a MK-80200A-50.

7. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

I think someone bought one off me and used it. I don't know if it was on a navi or not, but I had no complaints.

But I've not used it personally.

Edit:
    If you buy the chip from me, I could put a "normal" region free bios and the navi on one chip. Then you just wire the last address line to vcc or ground to switch. That way, if the navi bios doesn't work right, you don't need to replace the chip again

Getta Robo likes this.
  8. Getta Robo

Getta Robo Robust Member

That's excellent, I do have the necessary chip and I'm going to try it, can't wait till you share them!

9. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

Here you go

Attached Files:

Getta Robo likes this.
  10. takeshi385

takeshi385 Mojarra Frita Bandit

Works perfectly with my dip model 1 saturn.

Getta Robo likes this.
  11. Getta Robo

Getta Robo Robust Member

Thank you all!

12. Bad_Ad84

Bad_Ad84 The Tick

Remember to byte swap them first

Getta Robo likes this.
  13. Korn16ftl3

Korn16ftl3 Robust Member

So anyone here have issues with the game outrun on a round button system with any of these region free bios's?

I've read that outrun will only run on ovel button systems and has tendency to lock up on the round button systems, however A Murder of Crows tested outrun on 2 different white jp round button saturns, one was completely virgin and the game had locked up the other was running hi-saturn bios v1.021with a phantom modchip and this one loaded the game properly, any ideas as to why that might be? I just installed the hi-saturn region free smd bios v1.02 on my US round button VA6 motherboard and will test outrun amd see what happens. If the game freezes I will revert to hi-saturn bios v1.01 and see if the issue still exists jist for curiosity sakes.

14. Nopileus

Nopileus Rapidly Rising Member

AFAIK outrun had a second disc revision cause the original one had issues running on some systems.

15. Droid III

Droid III Rising Member

This is correct.

Original JP release of Outrun has a bug in the 68k code, it uses an instruction that is "broken" in discrete 68k chips, but is "fixed" in later, integrated ones. It's either the TAS or RESET instruction, I forgot which.

Because of this, the game will hang on boot for Saturns that use an integrated 68k sound chip. These are the VA10 and later console revisions.

REV A of Outrun has this problem fixed and works on all units.
    There were one or two other titles that suffered from the same issue, I think Space Harrier was one, I forgot.

The BIOS version is completely unrelated to this.

Korn16ftl3, Getta Robo and Nopileus like this.