Sega Saturn Cinepak Library Ver 1.20 + some stuff

Discussion in 'File Downloads - Share and Request' started by Madroms, May 17, 2009.

1. Madroms

Madroms Robust Member

For the ones who didn't see the news, I made a rip of the Sega Saturn Cinepak Library Ver 1.20 Dev CD.
    This CD contains all you need to make cinepak video for the Sega Saturn:
    - application to convert movies to cpk format (Unfortunately, the movie2cpk app is for MAc only)
    - sample code source to show how to use .cpk in Sega Saturn games.
    - some other stuff.

This is a true dev CD by Sega from the Saturn era. This is the japanese version of the CD.

I used it to add .cpk support on my Dezaemon 2 Save Game Manager Vol.2 that I released for Xmas 2008.

On the same time, I released my source code of the D2SGM Vol.2 so I hope it will help people coding for the Sega Saturn.

You can find the pack at http://www.satakore.com/news132,,Dezaemon-2-Save-Game-Manager-Vol-2-and-CPK-Viewer-Source-Codes.html

2. Christuserloeser

Christuserloeser Rapidly Rising Member

Thanks a lot! I love your work @ Satakore !

3. alphagamer

alphagamer What is this? *BRRZZ*.. Ouch!

thanks, i hope i will find some time to test this out a bit :D

4. Madroms

Madroms Robust Member

Thanks guys :thumbsup:

I have some other dev cds, I will see if I will release them in the future (some of them could be useful for the homebrew community) ;-)

5. saturn_worship

saturn_worship Intrepid Member

thanks as always madroms

6. Ryo Suzuki

Ryo Suzuki Rapidly Rising Member

Thanks friend, this can be very useful in our spanish translations.

Sure :eek:h:

7. retro

retro Resigned from mod duty 15 March 2018

Thanks, I have floppies but not the CD. I'll see if there's anything different here.

I'd be interested in any other dev software you have for Saturn - let me know if you decide to release them, or want to sell the original disks.

8. Dot50Cal

Dot50Cal Moderator

Is there any documentation on cpk archives? Resident Evil seems to employ a very odd cpk format. Essentially, all the movies are stored inside a single file with the cpk extention, but you can only extract the first one out if I recall correctly.

9. retro

There is indeed documentation, but AFAIK noone has released it to the public.

If you're asking for information on how to play the files, you need to create a player using the Cinepak library. The process for making them was to take a QuickTime movie, apply Cinepak compression and then convert to Saturn format Cinepak on a Mac with a special tool.

Is there anything specific that you want to know? I will try and help if I can.

10. Madroms

Madroms Robust Member

I think they used a simple pak format, aka concatenation of cpk files. Just try to split the big file into small files.

11. Madroms

Madroms Robust Member

Let us know if you have any differences or another version.

12. Yakumo

Yakumo Pillar of the Community *****

Or you can just use the cinepak player that some Japanese guy made years ago. It's designed for Windows '95 but works fine on XP. If you need a copy of the player send me a PM.

Yakumo

13. retro

I believe I have a few versions. I can't release them at present, though... or talk about them too much, really. When I get to a stage where I can offer more, I'll let you know certainly ;-)

One thing - IIRC the revisions might have been a little more specific, e.g. 1.20E. I'm not sure whether I'm thinking of another Saturn tool, though. I'll see if I can find them later.

Yeah, pretty much the same thing! Basically you need something that uses the library to play it.