Sega Mega Drive Commercial emulator in PS2

Discussion in 'Sony Programming and Development' started by AKuHAK, Jul 1, 2013.

1. AKuHAK

AKuHAK Spirited Member

Sega Ages vol. 33 uses the same emulator as vol. 32 with the same issues. And forgot to add that both lacks x, y, z buttons. In vol. 33 there is a little bit different options menu.

2. AKuHAK

AKuHAK Spirited Member

Ok Im back with volume 17.

Thanks to pelvicthrustman - he fixed annoying bug with second player (non-working Square button).

Now I can represent you full working constructor:

http://rghost.ru/private/48572975/0f165a77628fc796e72740faeded83ff

This is Sega Mega Drive commercial emulator based on Megasis.
    For now it has the best compatibility with Megadrive roms.
    Ultimate Mortal kombat 3. rocknroll racing and castelvania

How to inject your own rom (it have to be region-free):
    -go to folder "constructor/@MAPDATA"
    -place your rom there and rename as "test.bin"
    -run repack.bat
    -put MAPDATA.DAT back on the disk

Known limitation:
    -no savegame (only hardcore!)
    -no configurable options at all :)
    -rom size limit: 4Mb (I think)

Used roms:
    Rock n' Roll Racing Hack v15 ALPHA revision8
    Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 EP Hack

Big thansk:
    -LocalH, for researching that vol.17 uses megasis
    -pelvicthrustman, which fixes second player Square button bug
    -CUE, for lzr extraction http://www.pscave.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=3165&start=15#p54025

For now we can play those game that were not playable with pGen or vol 30-33. I tested only 2 of them: RocknRoll Racing and Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 - but I guess that other games like Castelvania or maybe something else will be working too.

Regards

Last edited: Sep 4, 2013
  3. tkeely4777

tkeely4777 Rapidly Rising Member

Fantastic work! I will be sure to try this in the coming days, thank you!

4. LocalH

LocalH Spirited Member

Nicely done, AKuHAK! I shall experiment with this sometime either today or tomorrow.

Now, after this PoC release, are there any plans for a setup similar to POPStarter but instead using the vol 17 emulator (and obviously not requiring HDD since vol 17 doesn't)? Something like a frontend that allows selection of many ROMs stored on the disc image, and that will launch the emulator appropriately?

5. AKuHAK

AKuHAK Spirited Member

Made some tests:

Sega Ages Volume 17 or Sega Mega Drive Collection Plus:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Sega Ages Volume 33":
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    And if turn sprite limit on it change H40 mode:
    [​IMG]

Pgen (or picodrive 1.35 with fast rendering on):
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Picodrive 1.35 accurate rendering:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 18, 2013
  6. wolfness

wolfness Newly Registered

Just amazing AKuHAK ;)

Researching about the topic i noticed that "Sonic Mega Collection" was published for PC too! so this mean that the descompresor of "cpt" files is found here in x86, so more people can handle it and of any way do the inverse operation for create the crypted files like it were a pc software, only a crazy idea but could be possible.

Greets !!

7. vash32

vash32 Spirited Member

Hey AKuHAK, can you post any info on how to edit the photo at the start screen? Love to use this on HDD-OSD but I'll like edit the start screen to look like it was made for the games I set on it.

8. AKuHAK

AKuHAK Spirited Member

As I say Sonic Mega Collection Plus still is not crackable.

vash32 I already posted link for lzr extraction. Just extract picture and replace.

9. vash32

vash32 Spirited Member

I see, my bad. Thanks for making this, will be sure to use it. :)

10. wolfness

wolfness Newly Registered

Hello again AKuHAK, one question how i can test the emulator on sega ages 33/32 ? the tool of "cue", display that "BIN.PAK" is too big file and i can extract it with the utility in the previous post "quickbms" but how recompress?

11. 47iscool

47iscool Rapidly Rising Member

The US version of SMCP loaded ROM addresses starts are as follows:

MD: 0x00AE4800
    GG: 0x007E4800

Sonic Gems NTSC-J loaded MD ROM address is 0x00BC8BC0

Cheat Engine can also load memory regions aswell into programs such as pcsx2. Some Genesis/MD ROMs won't work unless you load the TMSS into it first then load the game ROM such as Castlevainia Bloodlines and possibly others.

12. Szczepaniak

Szczepaniak Robust Member

Sorry for the necro bump, but I was googling for ways to inject more ROMs into the Sega Genesis Collection on PS2, or somehow hack it, and this was basically the only decent Google result I found.

So just to recap...

The Sega Genesis Collection for PS2 is no good because it doesn't emulate sound?

And the best option we've found so far is hacking the Phantasy Star 2 remake, Sega Ages Volume 17?

Basically I'd like to play Mega Drive games on my PS2, on a CRT, but with fancy options like changing the settings, saving anywhere, and the other goodies they normally afford on a compilation. Which does not seem possible with thew Vol 17 hack. Because I'd like to add stuff like Landstalker.

Was there any progress on the Sonic Collection hack?

Has Mega Drive emulation on PS2 improved since 2013?

What are my best options, right now, for playing Mega Drive games on the PS2? I have a modded Xbox with its MD emulator, but I can never quite get the screen/pixel ratios perfect, and there always seems to be a bit of blurring.

13. sp193

sp193 Site Soldier

Have you tried Picodrive?

AKuHAK likes this.
  14. Szczepaniak

Ahh, I see that was in 2016. Newer than whatever the other emulator I tried was.

It work really nice, once I force the video to NTSC. In some ways it's better than the Xbox Genesis emu (Fantastic Dizzy has proper vertical syncing). But it's still not quite as smooth - Jurassic Park feels a big sluggish/choppy compared to on Xbox, even though the pixels are crisper and screen display better sized.

As a side note I also discovered the Sega Genesis Collection seems to auto-detect your region of system (mine is UK PAL), forcing all the ROMs to run in PAL mode with borders, which basically makes the whole thing utterly useless. Anyone know a workaround for this, so it will boot the games in 60Hz NTSC mode? Very irritating. I spent several hours downloading the 3 gig NTSC version, then installing it to my HDD (no easy task!), and now it bloody thinks it's PAL !

>_<

15. sp193

sp193 Site Soldier

Unfortunately, the XBOX is better for this sort of emulation. It has more CPU power, since it is newer.
    We can do binary translataion to try to improve efficiency though.

The screen was adjusted based on input from one of my users, who taught me what these pixel-based games were meant to look like. Here, we try to avoid scaling the video (which can result in aliasing) and we use nearest filtering (rather than bilinear).

With borders? o_O
    It should be either standard NTSC or PAL. Did your TV indicate that it is using PAL?
    I don't think any licensed game developer was allowed to check the ROM region, but I do know that the game will determine whether you are a Japanese player, based on your language selection (export sets cannot normally have the language set to Japanese).

We have GSM for changing the video mode. It's also built into OPL.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2018
  16. Szczepaniak

Are you the author? Well done! Yes, the screen is beautiful. I'm running my PAL PS2 through RGB SCART on a 60Hz and 480i compatible large widescreen SD CRT TV.

The pixel ratios, the clean edges of each individual pixel, I've not seen it this sharp since actually using a real Mega Drive at 60Hz through RGB SCART on the same TV. I would describe the pixel rendering as flawless, without any rippling or distortion which a lot of other emulators have.

Xbox emulators can't seem to achieve the same sharpness, even after disabling all filters, and it's near impossible to get the right "screen ratio" - I also dislike how I'm required to adjust this manually, instead of the emulator doing it based on each game's built-in screen mode. I've also tried GC and Wii emulators, and the authors also seem to screw up the screen ratios. I find this so weird. Obviously the SNES is an exception, since it's natively 8:7 which originally would be warped to 4:3 via your TV, but stuff like the NES and Mega Drive and PC Engine all had fairly normal screen ratios.

So again, thank you for doing this properly. I noticed it, and I appreciate it!

I boot the Genesis Collection and the title screen is fullscreen 60Hz. Then I select a game, and it then boots an internal ELF file, not a ROM. The original poster of this topic mentioned how they're all sort of conversions, not emulated ROMs.

So once I boot the game it ends up with a massive black border at the bottom, like it's running in 50Hz. I recall reading somewhere, I can't remember where, that the game checks your region of PS2 and adjusts the compilation games accordingly. Which is very annoying.

Last night I tried GSM to fix this problem, hoping I could FORCE it to run in NTSC 60Hz.

When using the built-in GSM in OPL 9.3 there's a weird glitch, where the screen is sort of split in two and there's white blocks over. There's some serious glitching. It's not the result of selecting NTSC either, since I tried it with PAL as well. Activating GSM in OPL, for some reason, causes the whole thing to glitch out.

So then I tried the standalone GSM. I booted that, selected NTSC, and then booted directly into HD LOader. The problem is it did not actually force 60Hz. All it did was make the screen horizontally narrower. Everything was squashed at the sides, which made no sense at all, since NTSC 60Hz is actually meant to be vertically taller due to having less lines (480 instead of 526 or whatever it is).

So I don't know why the GSM in OPL is glitching, and I can't work out why standalone GSM is squashing the sides of the screen.

On a side related note, someone told me that the PAL release, "Sega Mega Drive Collection", gives you an option to select 60Hz, so I'm going to install that today and see if it changes things.

17. sp193

sp193 Site Soldier

Yes, indeed. Thank you.
    Actually, I am the author of this port. The original project (Picodrive) was by Notaz.

I never knew that. Thanks for the explanation.

It was really users like you, who could help to explain what it was like.

The thing is, there is no official way to determine the region of the PS2. For the soundtrack selection, it is done based on the language selection.
    We can check the region of the console in homebrew software, but the ROMVER file is not documented within the Sony SDK...

It might be just NTSC with borders (i.e. resolution of the frame buffer is not). The norminal resolution of the Game Gear seems to be 320x144, which is not even in the same format as NTSC. This game might be using 640x448 for NTSC and 640x512 for PAL, given the graphical glitches observed when using GSM (which used 720x480 for 480P and 720x576 for 576P). And so you will likely see letterboxing, as I do.

The version of GSM integrated into OPL v0.9.3 might be older.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2018
  18. Szczepaniak

I got hold of the PAL version and tested it. There's an option to manual select (and force) either 50Hz or 60Hz.

I tried both, using Kid Chameleon as a test game.

When forcing the PAL collection to run in 60Hz from its internal menu it actually looks exactly like the American Genesis Collection, with a thick border at the bottom. So obviously even at 60Hz it does not fill the screen. I had assumed before that it was running at 50Hz, but not so. It really was running at 60Hz.

Then I tried it in 50Hz mode, and it was even worse! There was a border at the top of the screen AND the bottom!

Then I tried PicoDrive with Kid Chameleon and it filled the entire screen, and it was faster, and the pixels were all much crisper and more distinct. It looked like it should look - it looked correct. There was a bit of screen tearing, but enabling VSYNC corrected this.

Frankly I'm a bit shocked. Digital Eclipse did a shit job with their official compilation. Why bother buying the official product when the graphics look like ass? They had one job to do! ONE JOB! Meh. I give up. I'll stick to fan emulators. The official Genesis / Mega Drive compilation is hot garbage, with squashed, fuzzy visuals. Terrible.

19. smf

smf mamedev

I'm not particularly shocked, there is no inherent superiority to hobby or commercial projects. Just look at the quality of some commodore 64 games that have come out in recent years.

The reason people would buy it is they can see it on a shelf in a store & can take it home and insert the disc and play it (or give it as a gift). This type of project isn't given much development or QA time. The original games are seen as the valuable asset, not the emulator.

20. Szczepaniak

Another reason I'm shocked is I then booted up Sonic Jam on my Saturn, on the same TV, and the quality of the original Sonic running on Saturn is leagues ahead of Sonic running on PS2.

Granted, I think they converted rather than emulated the game, but man. The whole compilation on PS2 is shoddy and cheaply made. It's a disgrace, especially compared to the older Sega compilation on Saturn.