Sega Genesis model 2 50hz colour correction oscillator advice

Discussion in 'Modding and Hacking - Consoles and Electronics' started by malcolm, Jul 22, 2015.

1. malcolm

malcolm Rising Member

Hello there,

hoping to perform some 50/60hz mods on a bunch of sega genesis models 2s. i have a quote for some 4pin 4.433619mhz oscillators but im sus on the input current. below is a copy and paste of the specs. any advice is greatly appreicated.

3.1 Nominal Frequency (Fo) 4.433619MHz
    3.2 Supply Voltage (VDD) +5.0 VDC±10%
    3.3 Input Current 10 mA
    3.4 Frequency Tolerance (at +25℃) 50 ppm
    3.5 Frequency Stability Vs Temperature Range 30 ppm
    3.6 Operating Temperature Range -40~+85℃
    3.7 Storage Temperature Range -55~+125C
    3.8 Output Logic HCMOS
    3.9 Output Load 15 pF
    3.10 “1” Level ≥ 90 % VDD
    3.11 “0” Level ≤ 10 % VDD
    3.12 Symmetry 50%±5%
    3.13 Rise / Fall Time ≤ 5 ns
    3.14 Output Disable / Enable Delay Time ≤ 100 ns
    3.15 Start-up Time ≤ 5 ms
    3.16 Aging 3 ppm

Last edited: Jul 22, 2015
  2. MonkeyBoyJoey

MonkeyBoyJoey 70's Robot Anime GEPPY-X (PS1) Fanatic

Idk anything about that but you can get color without mods. You just need an RGB cable. The Genesis outputs RGBS via the AV port. All you need is a Genesis model 2 RGB SCART cable wired for C-Sync and a SCART to HDMI converter or a color arcade monitor.

An RGBS cable will give you the best picture possible out of a Genesis/Mega Drive. The image it gives is extremely sharp and the colors are perfect. It's better than Composite video and even the S-Video mod. It looks like an emulator.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2015
  3. malcolm

malcolm Rising Member

Do you find there is any input lag with those scart to hdmi converters?

Yeah seems like a waste bothering about composite, however i like options. Im doing these up for sale and SCART is not that common in australia.

Thanks for the links i will look into those for my personal use :)

4. Mamejay

Mamejay Robust Member

Hi Malcolm. I have setup heaps of Mega Drives for use in Australia. I use the same 4 pin Oscillator and have had no problems. Just grab 5v from anywhere on the motherboard. Have had mine running for a few years now with no problems.

5. MonkeyBoyJoey

MonkeyBoyJoey 70's Robot Anime GEPPY-X (PS1) Fanatic

I heard that some of these have input lag and some don't but I didn't notice any lag on mine. I guess I got lucky. I bought mine directly from Amazon so maybe it was the third party vendors that have the bad ones. While it is a good scaler, it's not as good as the $300-$400 XRGB Mini Framemeister. The only thing I don't like about it is that it requires +1-3V on pin 16 in order to use RGBS. Anything less and it's Composite Video/S-Video mode. Also, it labels RGBS as NTSC/PAL when in actuality, RGB is neither NTSC nor PAL. It's either 50Hz or 60Hz RGB.

I've done the language mod and the 50/60Hz mod to my Genesis Model 1 VA6.5 and I liked the results. For giggles, I plugged in my composite cable into the TV while the Genny was in 50Hz mode and to my suprise, I got a stable image! It was black & white and off-center but it was stable. I didn't do the color mod so I use that same RGB cable I linked above on my 32X to get color in 50Hz mode. I played the PAL version of Sonic 1 and it's too slow!!! I feel bad for people in PAL land who have to deal with Sonic 1 on a stock PAL MD. I'm probably gonna make an adapter to use my SCART cable on my Model 1 without needing the 32X. Should be fun! :D

6. malcolm

malcolm Rising Member

cheers guys for the replies. looking like the best way to enjoy retro games is with the rgb to hdmi converters. the framemeister looks amazing, but some serious bucks even worse now that the aussie dollar is in decline. ahh well research is fun :)

i do have some 4 pin 4.433619mhz oscillators that i purchased off a random ebay seller, however i found the picture a little distorted. i have found ways to improve it by adding a capacitor between pin 3 and the input on the genesis. also adding a 500ohm potentiometer on pin 2 to adjust the voltage i was able to get some better results. Guess im just trying to improve on it, as i know it can be much better. perhaps if people have purchased them before and have had good results, maybe they can send me the details of the supplier?

thanks