Sega Genesis / Mega Drive 2 - Controller Port fix

Discussion in 'Repair, Restoration, Conservation and Preservation' started by irvgotti452, Jan 26, 2018.

1. irvgotti452

irvgotti452 Rising Member

Well I've looked around the forum and I saw that I and other people had similar issue and this may be a potential fix. As I was playing the other day I plugged in my 6 button controller (which was working and worked in port 2 correctly) and then poof, I couldn't go right on any game.

So I found that many people said a reflow of the pins helped them. Tired it and didn't work. Upon further inspection I found a crack in the trace.

Screenshot_2018-01-24-04-15-04-1.jpg

Patched it with a resistor leg i had laying around to the convenient solder point below it and it worked flawlessly.

Screenshot_2018-01-26-02-57-47-1.jpg

Probably cracked from stress. But hope it helps someone.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2018
    Nully, Bearking and Taijigamer2 like this.
  2. TriMesh

TriMesh Site Supporter 2013-2017

Looks like the socket was installed improperly - if you look underneath the other pins on the second row of that connector you can see the traces have started to lift (the pin to the right of your blue line shows it clearly, with a visible crack in the right-hand side of the trace). It might be worth reinforcing all the connections just for safety.

irvgotti452 likes this.
  3. Ergot_Cholera

Ergot_Cholera Flaccid Member

I saw this on a Master System 2 motherboard, they're not known for being the best quality though.