Sega fishlife patched version that runs on any retail Dreamcast

Discussion in 'Sega Dreamcast Development and Research' started by Anthony817, Jun 2, 2019.

1. Anthony817

Anthony817 Familiar Face

@japanese_cake just released this a few hours ago on his Twitter account, and I am just making everybody here aware of it.

https://twitter.com/jc_dcdev/status/1135153738249854977

But now, JC has patched the flash code to work on home consoles! Now you can turn your Dreamcast into an awesome aquarium! All credit goes to JC for cracking this, and of course Sega and the awesome Musée Bolo for releasing this in the first place!

https://mega.nz/#!UlgwwYJC!IvStrIhgJHwD1hYf98dJPtJCaRzW-R82NE5THkttBCM

It is in .gdi format, so somebody will have to make a .cdi of it.

Note: A new discovery was made at reddit today!

-SG6000-
    By the way, to access the Testmode menu (which has test patterns, sound test and the list of mic commands - I think) hold the four face buttons (ABXY) and Down/Left on the D-Pad.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
    Spec, emuler, Durandal and 6 others like this.
  2. -=FamilyGuy=-

-=FamilyGuy=- Site Supporter 2049

Told you something was coming ;)

Durandal, LuizNai, pool7 and 2 others like this.
  3. Anthony817

Anthony817 Familiar Face

This has to be one of the coolest releases in a while! I was doubtful if it could work on the DC becasue of the custom flash on the Fish Life unit. Glad to see he worked his magic on it!

LuizNai and truemaster1 like this.
  4. japanese_cake

japanese_cake Spirited Member

You also plug a standard mic adapter and talk to the fishes, in japanese :) there is a way to change the dictionary to english but I don't remember what it is based on (flash settings, hard-coded?)
    And with you find the pinout for the second serial interface you should be able to have a fully working fish life setup for basically the price of a dreamcast and serial touch screen ;)

LuizNai, fry76, fafadou and 3 others like this.
  5. darcagn

darcagn Site Supporter 2013, Site Supporter 2014

Yeah, but this is the same version that I said doesn't work when you said wait for something :p
    I already made a CDI of it as well.

Has anyone else gotten it to work?
    It only works on emulator with Japanese flash file.
    Doesn't work on va0 Japanese DC, doesn't work on va1 U.S. DC with region-free BIOS, doens't work on va1 U.S. with stock BIOS but GDEMU/DCHDMI. All three consoles give the flash miss error message.

edit: wait, no, md5 is different, maybe it is a different patch? the timestamps are old though.
    edit 2: just goes to a black screen, no error message now.
    edit 3: this GDI won't work on anything at all, even with the original fish life flash file. I can either get it to boot to a black screen or the error message. is anyone actually getting this to work?

Last edited: Jun 2, 2019
  6. -=FamilyGuy=-

Then something else is the works, I think.

You should contact JC about those issues. I'm pretty sure he'd have tested it before release, but maybe is confused some files for others.

Edit: didn't notice @japanese_cake was already in the thread.

7. darcagn

he's in this thread :p so I'm assuming he's reading it

8. megavolt85

megavolt85 Peppy Member

japanese_cake likes this.
  9. japanese_cake

I will double check and I indeed remember having one version only working on emu that I then reworked. Sorry again, that was a year ago so I need to check that

Here it is: https://www.mediafire.com/folder/0kmc4am62ygt9

10. megavolt85

megavolt85 Peppy Member

11. darcagn

Ok, this is the one I already had that laurent shared with me in private that doesn't work.

track03 with md5 b613eb9ec68c0a5e69613bfc1e49d919:
    Emulator with fish flash - works
    Emulator with JP flash - works
    Emulator with US flash - ufInitSystem miss error message
    Emulator with PAL flash - ufInitSystem miss error message
    va0 Japanese console with JP flash, CDI made version that I made OR the one sizious/fg made (not sure) - ufInitSystem miss error message
    va1 U.S. console with U.S. flash and region free bios, CDI made version that I made OR the one sizious/fg made (not sure) - ufInitSystem miss error message
    va1 U.S. console with U.S. flash, GDEMU, patched IP.BIN to be region free, GDI version -- ufInitSystem miss

The one you tweeted out on twitter earlier today either boots to a black screen or boots to ufInitSystem miss on emulators or real console.

12. darcagn

Is this a hack you did or jc's hack?

13. megavolt85

megavolt85 Peppy Member

LuizNai and Anthony817 like this.
  14. japanese_cake

Thank you for the detailed troubleshooting! I haven't had the opportunity to check on non PAL dreamcast so that explained why you are facing those issues. I've just tested the version on mediafire (smae md5 as the one you provided) and it works flawlessly on my pal dreamcast with gdemu. Sorry for that I don't have foreign console so I could see that. You then have better to use @MetalliC version. On my side I think I have to envision retirement :)

15. -=FamilyGuy=-

Please don't!

fry76, fafadou, japanese_cake and 2 others like this.
  16. Anthony817

Anthony817 Familiar Face

No! We need more awesome Bios mods and especially your Bleemcast protections removed hack! By the way, any news on that? You said you would have more info in a few weeks back on March 2nd. It has been 3 months now today hehe. :p

LuizNai and fry76 like this.
  17. truemaster1

truemaster1 Enthusiastic Member

hey @japanese_cake nice to see you man its been a long. and you came back with awesome things cool
    @Anthony deunan (gdemu) said is looking too in bleemcast finger crossed

LuizNai and fafadou like this.
  18. Anthony817

Anthony817 Familiar Face

Yes, but that doesn't help us clone users. Also, having all protections removed opens up the possibility to maybe create our own selfbooting versions of the 3 official games, as well as games that booted with the retails after disc check skip hack was applied years back. I had a small compatibility list I started for it and a few somewhat working games were discovered.

http://web.archive.org/web/20180816225655/http://www.theisozone.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=3665

Also, wouldn't removing protections make Action Replay codes able to maybe be used for these games? Or at the least we could hex edit them I guess too.

Anyways, I am derailing this thread. I hope he was just joking about retiring.

LuizNai and darcagn like this.
  19. darcagn

No, please don't! I hope you didn't take any of my comments as being ungrateful or upset with you,* that's not the case. I appreciate all the stuff you have done for the DC scene, it has been very valuable and very few people have the talent you do. I certainly don't want to make this not fun for you.

* If anything, I was frustrated at FamilyGuy because I had your patch in private, I wanted to test it and make sure it works on all consoles and bring my testing results to you before you made a public release, but FamilyGuy told me not to and just wait.

Anthony817 likes this.
  20. -=FamilyGuy=-

Wait, when did I say that? I knew JC had a fixed version and I, like him, assumed it was fixed for all regions. I didn't think you had the exact same version as him, and I surely wouldn't have tell you not to test and report to JC.

Let's just sort that situation under the miscommunication category.

I'm pretty sure JC isn't really thinking about retiring; just French humour ;).

I'd bet he likes your feedback even though he'd have preferred that there were no issue.

Anthony817 likes this.