SEGA Dreamcast Modding.

Discussion in 'Modding and Hacking - Consoles and Electronics' started by BobNewbie, Jan 26, 2016.

1. PIXeL92

PIXeL92 Spirited Member

I must of tried about 7 different SD cards and I couldn't get mine to load from the SD card it couldn't find a file. There where no bridges and I used fine kaynar wire.

Just didn't work

2. Jake585

Jake585 Member

software problem?

3. PIXeL92

PIXeL92 Spirited Member

Burnt like 5 different discs :(

Going to have a go and make it on copper board as before I just soldered the SD card reader direct to the serial port with lengths of wire. Not that it should make a difference as I wasn't fussed about an activity light. Also going to have a go at the VGA mod managed to get all the parts for it for less than £9.

You couldn't do me a favor and take pics of either side of your SD to Serial board ?

Cheers

Last edited: Feb 9, 2016
  4. kdkane

kdkane Active Member

hi guys,
    thanks for the schematic and the pictures of your work Jake!
    I am planning on doing this mod some time and as im a real beginner to this i googled some and few day ago got this tutorial which made me wonder...
    Here's the link to the site (sorry tutorial is written in German but Google Translate does the job or you just look at the pictures taken)
    http://www.dallaslive.de/vdr/projects/retro-consoles/dreamcast/index.php
    The guy doesn't use any resistor or such as all other howto's i saw before! So is this connection possible without anyresistor or would is this how to bsh*t ???

Am i right to think of the sdcard connection and the serial ports of the DC aint on the same "voltage" level or some so to get these two talking to each other in a language both understand we need to bring them to a even level by the resistors and such?

Sorry if it a very basic question but it's kinda hard getting into all this at once not being an electrician or equal!
    Gr337z

5. SnoopKatt

SnoopKatt Rapidly Rising Member

G1-ATA? Pretty cheap and seems like it'd work fine.