Sega Dreamcast "Katana" Dev - Setup (Inc. Setting up an HKT-01) - (08/05/07)

Discussion in 'Sega Dreamcast Development and Research' started by Mark30001, Apr 16, 2007.

1. Mark30001

Mark30001 Guest

Sega Dreamcast "Katana" Dev - Setup (Inc. Setting up an HKT-01) - (08/04/07)

For those who are wondering if there's such thing as a complete Sega Dreamcast development setup, here's more of an ideal setup. ;)

Units covered:
    Sega Dreamcast Development Box

* Set 2 - NEC ARC1A PowerVR prototype PCI board
    * Set 4 - Sega Katana Development Box
    * Set 5.24 - HKT-0120 Sega Dreamcast Development Box

HKT-0200 Sega Katana Controller Box
    HKT-0300 Sega Katana Sound Box
    HKT-0400 Sega Katana GD-Writer
    HKT-0500 Cross Products Dreamcast GD-ROM Duplicator GD-X
    HKT-0600 Sega Dreamcast/Katana GD-R
    HKT-0900 Sega Dreamcast SYSTEM-DISC 2

FIRST COMPUTER SETUP

This computer should have Microsoft Windows installed. Windows 95, 98, & NT 4.0 are recommended, however, Windows 2000 or XP can be used. Just know that there's a bug in Windows NT/2000/XP preventing the second partition of the SCSI hard drive from being seen on the PC. You could also dual-boot the PC with Windows 98 and Windows XP, but that is completely optional.

Here are the minimum PC requirements:

• IBM PC compatible running Windows 95, 98, or NT 4.0 (Not Windows 2000)
    • P200 or greater
    • 32 MB of memory
    • 500-600 MB of free hard drive space (minimum)
    • Adaptec 2940U PCI-to-Ultra SCSI card dedicated to Dreamcast
    • A second VGA monitor and/or composite TV monitor
    • CD-ROM drive

==================================================

This PC should be used to connect to an HKT-01 Sega Dreamcast/Katana Development box. There are many sets out there, however, you should look out for a set 5.24 (latest set revision) and it should be an HKT-0120 Sega Dreamcast Development Box.

Here are the following items needed if you are just going to use an HKT-0120 Dreamcast Development Box:

• Set 5.24 development mini-tower
    • 50-pin external SCSI cable
    • 2 Active SCSI terminators
    • Dreamcast control pad
    • Stereo AV cable (composite video + stereo audio)
    • Katana Software Development Kit CD-ROM (Release 9 or Release 10)

Software that should be already installed on the PC are Adobe Reader (for viewing SDK documents), Microsoft Office (mainly PowerPoint & Word), and Microsoft Visual C++ 6.0. The Microsoft Windows CE for Dreamcast SDK v2.1 is a completely optional software.

==================================================

Requirements for the development box are an installed Adaptec SCSI controller (1542, 1742, 2940, 2940U, 2940UW, or 3940). The Adaptec 2940U is the recommended SCSI card to use. You will also need the latest ASPI drivers installed on your computer.

You can download them here:
    http://www.download.com/3000-2098-10219041.html

Once they have been installed, shutdown the PC and connect a 50-pin SCSI cable from the SCSI-A port on the back of the HKT-0120 unit to an Adaptec 2940U 50-pin PCI SCSI card. Connect the two SCSI terminators to the SCSI-B port and the GD-Writer SCSI port (if it is not being used). Set the left SCSI dial switch on the back to 4 and the right SCSI dial switch to 3. Once that has been done, power up the HKT-0120, wait about 30 seconds, then boot your PC.

If everything was successful, you should see something similar to this during startup:

Once the PC completely boots, ignore the "Found New Hardware" wizard and install the Katana Software Development Kit.

SUPPORTED ART PACKAGES

ninja:

• 3dsMAXr2.X
    • 3dsMAXr3.X
    • Alias for SGI v.7.5
    • Lightwave 3D
    • SoftImage v.3.51 & 3.7 for SGI or Windows NT

kamui1 & kamui2:

• 3dsMAXr2.X
    • 3dsMAXr3.X
    • PVRexp PLUG-IN FOR 3DSTUDIO MAX 2.0/2.5
    • PVRexp PLUG-IN FOR 3DSTUDIO MAX 3.0/3.1

ADDITIONAL HARDWARE

If you have an HKT-0400 Katana GD-Writer that you would like to use on the HKT-0120, it should connect from the SCSI-1 port on the back of the unit to the GD-Writer SCSI port on the back of the HKT-0120 unit. Then, connect a 50-pin SCSI terminator to the SCSI-2 port of the back of the HKT-04 unit. Finally, set the SCSI dial switch on the back of the HKT-0400 to 5.

If you have an HKT-0500 Cross Products Sega Dreamcast GD-ROM Duplicator GD-X, it should connect from the HOST SCSI port on the back of the unit to the SCSI-B port of the HKT-0120 unit. This unit is used to duplicate GD-ROM/GD-R discs or dump GD-ROM/GD-R data. A maximum of four additional HKT-0400 GD-Writers can be connected to the four GD-Writer SCSI ports on the back HKT-0500 unit, but only one will be connected. Connect four 50-pin active SCSI terminators to the SCSI-2 port of the second HKT-0400 unit and the three remaining GD-Writer ports on the HKT-0500 unit. Set the SCSI dial switch on the back of the HKT-0500 unit to 6, and the SCSI dial switch on the back of the second HKT-0400 unit to 7.

If you have an HKT-0300 Katana Sound Box, it would connect to either the Extension port or the SCSI-B port of the HKT-0120 unit. This Sound Box is used for MIDI production.

EXTRA

You can also have a retail Dreamcast unit with a Broadband Adapter connected to the PC (or a Coders Cable via serial connection). The Dreamcast Development Environment R4 (homebrew tool) plus Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 could then be installed (with all the other software already installed). A tool for reading GD-R discs on a retail Dreamcast unit is the HKT-0900 Sega Dreamcast SYSTEM-DISC 2 disc.

You can find the free Sega Dreamcast Development Environment R4 for Microsoft Windows here:
    http://dcemulation.org/index.php?title=DC_Dev_ISO

There's also a Linux and Mac OS X version available.

SECOND COMPUTER SETUP

Have another PC with Windows 95 installed. Install a NEC ARC1A PowerVR prototype Dreamcast PCI board (Set 2 DC Dev unit). Also have a set 4 Sega Dreamcast Development Box connected to the Windows 95 PC. That would require the Katana SDK - Releases 2 and 4 both installed into separate directories on the computer. Then, connect an HKT-0200 Sega Katana Controller Box to the set 4, along with four NiGHTS Sega Saturn Controllers.

That's it for now. Feel free to note any mistakes/additions.

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2008
  2. Kron

Kron Gutsy Member

How about including a list of the 3rd party 2D/3D software that was popular and largely used in conjunction with the dev environment?

3. ASSEMbler

ASSEMbler Administrator Staff Member

More like a complete collection! Very nice.

4. Mark30001

Mark30001 Guest

Updated

5. wombat

wombat SEGA!

I really apreciated the work you putted in this guide. Thanks to you I now have my devkit succesfully hooked up!

6. usualdream

usualdream Guest

UPdate now is possible to add the plugin from powervr MBX sdk but is compablibe with little change and add support too 3dsmax R6, R7, R8

7. neoblast

neoblast Robust Member

Update the link to the DC DEV ISO R4 which got out a few weeks ago.

8. segaloco

segaloco Enthusiastic Member

Would you suggest CRT or LCD for the development monitor. I know that CRT would be used for testing how it would look on most TV's, but LCD might give a clearer picture for better graphical analyzing.

9. T_chan

T_chan Gutsy Member

I would use whatever is easier for you for the development.
    For finetuning/extensive testing, I would use different monitors & TV's.

10. raylyd

raylyd Guest

Hi i would like to get my hand on this please and thanks.?:thumbsup:

11. Treamcaster

Treamcaster Intrepid Member

Wtf happened to segakatana.com? I know it's down for a long time, but I wanted to check some stuff and tried web.archive.org with no luck since the following message shows up:
    Mark abandoned us, R.I.P. Katana encyclopedia :(

12. T_chan

T_chan Gutsy Member

1) Launch the search in google:
    http://www.google.com/#hl=en&source=hp&q="DC+DEV+ISO+R4

2) Follow the first link of www.dcemu.co.uk

3) Search on the page :)

13. CHAOTIX

CHAOTIX Rising Member

Love the guide, but one thing I'd change is this line...

"Set the left SCSI dial switch on the back to 4 and the right SCSI dial switch to 3. Once that has been done, power up the HKT-0120, wait about 30 seconds, then boot your PC."

Now, I mess around with the back of PCs and stuff from the back, looking at the back (don't most people? ... so actually this tells you to set it up the wrong way around, which results in the GD-M not showing up!

Just flagging incase anyone is scratching their head :D

14. T_chan

T_chan Gutsy Member

The standard set-up is in fact what's written in the first post:
    Left = SCSI-B = CPL GD-M = 4
    Right = SCSI-A = CPL KATANA DA = 3
    It corresponds to what's described to the Katana SDK.

Normally the SCSI ID shouldn't influence the GD-M showing/not showing, so I'm guessing your SCSI card might have some setting in its BIOS that conflicts with the GD-M.
    Have a look at the recent posts in the thread "[How To] Use the Katana SDK on Windows 7" to compare the bios settings of your scsi card to see a few screens of my settings.