Sega Dreamcast HDMI Adapter coming soon ..

Discussion in 'Sega Dreamcast Development and Research' started by Venatus Usque, Apr 8, 2015.

1. iCEQB

iCEQB Peppy Member

Soooooo ... anything new ? :)

2. fafadou

fafadou Enthusiastic Member

The akura has been sold, but there will be an other release soon;

3. MonkeyBoyJoey

MonkeyBoyJoey 70's Robot Anime GEPPY-X (PS1) Fanatic

iCEQB is asking about the internal HDMI modification, not the Akura. I haven't seen OzOnE post anything in a while but I did see another HDMI mod project on another forum that was completed iirc. I forgot which one it was though. I think it was over on the shmups forum.

EDIT: Found the thread over on shmups. There's a github for it too. Looks like it uses the CycloneIV FPGA. The creator says it can be done for under $30.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2017
    fafadou likes this.
  4. Collingall

Collingall Robust Member

Citrus3000psi has a board in the works based off of chriz2600's HDMI design. The version 1.0 PCB is available on OSH Parks website with a bom, but I'm not sure if it's ready to be built.

5. citrus3000psi

citrus3000psi Housekeeping, you want towel?

Yeah the board is 100% untested. I plan to revist the board when I wrap up other projects. I only posted the oshpark link because people were bugging me for it, even with it untested. I don't know if anybody has actually built one yet.

There are some issues with some silkscreen markings. The TVS diodes pin1 marking is in the wrong place. Cant really think of any others off the top of my head.

fafadou likes this.
  6. HOSKINGJ

HOSKINGJ @the_atmus

I saw OzOnE/ElectronAsh post a new (unrelated) video on his YouTube channel and reached out via the comments regarding his Dreamcast HDMI board project:

"Off topic question but I was wondering where I could find any updates on your amazing Dreamcast HDMI work?"

"Ahh. Well. lol Erm, that's all kind of up-in-the-air at the moment. Mr [RDC] who did the PCB layout is usually very busy again atm, and I have very little cash to get more prototypes made up etc. I have been working on a plug-in design for the PC Engine though, and that same board would be applicable to the Dreamcast and all the other consoles / computers. Hopefully I can finish that soon, and send off for a few cheap proto PCBs. It's a shame, because the Dreamcast board is a nice design, and the latest version has ZIF connectors for the custom flex cable, so it would be very low-profile underneath the GD ROM drive. I can confirm that it is indeed much harder than it looks to try to get a prototype released as a final product. The Dreamcast is one of the machines that requires soldering though, so that has made things more tricky. Most people would require an installer to fit the custom flex, so that increases the total cost for the end user etc. I'm still plodding along, though. I WILL get some of these projects done eventually."

Link:

japanese_cake, fafadou and Anthony817 like this.
  7. zouzzz

zouzzz Site Supporter 2013

"coming soon" :)

8. scroeffie

scroeffie Rising Member

or a og xbox hdmi mod ?

9. Anthony817

Anthony817 Familiar Face

Looks like citrus3000psi just showed off the final revision of his HDMI Controller! Has a wifi antennae for updating the firmware although he will also make firmware updates available on disc if there is anything to update. I think it could be used for streaming music over the OSD through the same speakers as your system, so that part could be fucking awesome.

[​IMG]

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/dreamcast/comments/94b4hd/are_you_ready_for_true_digital_picture/

megavolt85, fafadou, MastaG and 2 others like this.
  10. MastaG

MastaG Rapidly Rising Member

Hell yeah.
    He'll have his batch ready in Q4!!!

Anthony817 likes this.
  11. OzOnE

OzOnE Site Supporter 2013

Yeah, the WiFi idea looks kind of familiar, doesn't it. lol

I've been talking to Dan on Twitter recently. Good to see somebody getting closer to releasing something, as I completely failed in my mission, it seems. :(

I was basically working with almost zero money on the old DC HDMI project, and only got as far as I did when working with [RDC].

Sadly, he's just too busy now to carry on with it.

But, all is not lost, as I'm still determined to finish the Dreamcast motherboard project...

This is all my own design, so I can at least make tweaks to the PCB layout, and send off for new board revisions when I can afford to.

https://twitter.com/AshEvans81/status/988883304341491718

It will of course have HDMI, ODE, WiFi on it, and the extra RAM for NAOMI support.

The "stock" prototype PCB is already made, and I'm now just waiting for a guy in Poland to solder the BGA chips for me. I also finally got a toaster oven so I can convert it into a reflow oven. I have most of the parts, I just haven't put it together yet.

I may possibly be working with Dan on getting my OSD code added to his DC HDMI solution, since I already have that in place, and I also use the ESP8266 module to run the menu code etc.

Attached Files:

12. Anthony817

Anthony817 Familiar Face

Wow glad to get an update from you Ozone, I think many of us here are going to be happy to see your DC mobo project eventually up and running! Keep up the great work man. I know how money troubles can be when you have so many projects planned but real life seems to find a way to creep up on you and takes up precious time.

Yeah I was quite surprised to see his HDMI solution on Reddit and it basically came out of nowhere. That Wifi thing really stuck out to me too. Perhaps your OSD could still be helpful with his project so all the awesome features you were working on could still be utilized? He said it is fully opened sourced and others could build their own if they wanted to.

fafadou and OzOnE like this.
  13. scroeffie

scroeffie Rising Member

14. Zeigren

Zeigren Robust Member

Still chipping away at the ODE eh OzOnE?

fafadou likes this.
  15. OzOnE

OzOnE Site Supporter 2013

@Zeigren tbh, no...

I'm waiting to see what happens with the new Dreamcast mobo prototype.

If that works, then I'll finish the rest of the "final prototype", which will have the ODE stuff onboard.

I'm fairly confident about getting that running, but it'll be the first time I've tried running the code on an STM32 (ARM) chip, and the first time I've really used the STM32 properly.

@Anthony817 - Chris has apparently just added OSD integration to his / Dan's DCHDMI solution, so I would imagine it's getting closer to a proper release now.

But, we all know how long it can take to properly test everything, and design practical upgrade kits. hehe :p

16. Zeigren

Zeigren Robust Member

@OzOnE
    ST MCU, already needing to take chips off of a Dreamcast...Mnemo?;)

Motherboard looks slick (I see you using Altium ( ・ิω・ิ)), I remember @LeGIt was working on doing a RAM upgrade but don't exactly remember how the Naomi support would play out. Would you perhaps be putting some RAM that the game would be loaded into, would you need to make custom images to take advantage of it?

Also thanks for saving me some time, I started kicking around the idea of doing this but now I don't have to!:p

17. chriz2600

chriz2600 Member

@OzOnE
    You are working on so many really great projects! Have you ever considered to release some as open source, so others could participate? Sorry, if you have already answered this question, I’m really new to the scene :)

Regarding DCHDMI: OSD and controller integration, disc based updates and more features are just the icing on the cake. Hardware (including installation) and basic functionality is final and we have a working firmware upgrade path, so release is planned for Q4 2018 :)

18. Anthony817

Anthony817 Familiar Face

Really cool can't wait to see your work in action chriz. Will be great to see reviews and proper video of it up and running.

Any other Dreamcast related projects you are thinking of working on or are you moving on to other projects now?

truemaster1 likes this.
  19. Sp33dFr34k

Sp33dFr34k Spirited Member

Ohhhh, so excited for this, will be anxiously awaiting more details and (video) material :D