Sega Dreamcast HDMI Adapter coming soon ..

Discussion in 'Sega Dreamcast Development and Research' started by Venatus Usque, Apr 8, 2015.

1. Xerxes3rd

Xerxes3rd Rapidly Rising Member

Indeed, it seems we derailed this (half-dead) thread. According to his last post, OzOnE was making excellent progress on a fantastic idea. Unfortunately, we haven't heard from him in months, so nobody's really sure about the current state of the project.

2. acidtalk

acidtalk Active Member

I think there is another post with pics of his project, but I cannot find it back. too bad

3. moonchilde

moonchilde Papa Claw & Paw

and that's the sad thing, is it looked like a great project that was almost finished.

4. tiff_lee

tiff_lee Newly Registered

Been lurking for a while now waiting on this, hopefully OzOnE has just got caught up in the rat race that is life and returns soon.

Was also looking forward to see potential applications (on other consoles) with this tech.

moonchilde likes this.
  5. Marmotta

Marmotta Dauntless Member

Totally agree, I think discussion of any analog to digital adapters should be in other threads. They're nice and all, but solutions have been around for a while, whereas OzOnE's project is something unique that is yet to happen on the Dreamcast.

I don't want to come across as too critical of OzOnE here, as the work he has done so far is fantastic and beyond the scope of all but a few contributors here, but looking at this thread, as well as previous projects he's worked on in the past, it seems that he can be easily distracted by other possibilities, such as expanding this to other consoles, as well as adding all sorts of other functionalities to the Dreamcast project. Again, I don't want to come across as bashing him, as I've done it myself with lots of far simpler mods, but I'm sure I'm not the only one who would be ecstatic if he were to release a simple Dreamcast HDMI adapter that served that purpose only, as everything else he has proposed to add already exists in some form or another.

moonchilde and Collingall like this.
  6. moonchilde

Simple HDMI out would be perfect. Nothing else is needed. That's all I want at the moment.

jopamo likes this.
  7. Yakumo

Yakumo Pillar of the Community *****

Heres my clobbered together Hdmi solution.

8. chriz2600

chriz2600 Member

Some months ago I created my own Dreamcast to HDMI solution by using an FPGA. This project is currently not more than a hack (it was also my first time working with FPGAs), but now I'm able to create a 480p HDMI signal including sound purely digital.

I put the project on github: https://github.com/chriz2600/DreamcastHDMI

The code is all open to the public.
    Maybe someone out there will find this helpful.

9. citrus3000psi

citrus3000psi Housekeeping, you want towel?

Awesome work. I don't have time for another project :confused:

10. Xerxes3rd

That's fantastic, thank you so much for sharing it! How many LEs does it use?

11. chriz2600

chriz2600 Member

It's using 609 ALMs, which is not excactly the same as LEs I think, but it's only using 4% of the DE0 Nano SoC logic modules, so the FPGA board I am using is quite an overkill.

megavolt85, Xerxes3rd and Collingall like this.
  12. Xerxes3rd

Nice! If you added the ADV7513, you could basically have the FPGA just doing the "decoding" of the "12-bit DDR" RGB lines, and feed the result right to the ADV7513, along with the I2S audio. If that works, and there are enough pins, it could totally be added to something like Marcus' iceGDROM. Again, nicely done!

13. tiff_lee

tiff_lee Newly Registered

Could a mod like this be applied to a PS1/2? if only to do away with the use of component/composite?

14. Unseen

Unseen Spirited Member

Yes, at least in theory.

tiff_lee likes this.
  15. LordFenixNC

LordFenixNC Peppy Member

its not dead.. he ran out of funds atm but should have some new news... just give the guy some time. I did reach out and everything just stalled due to money and he didnt want to ask for any hand outs..

Xerxes3rd likes this.
  16. Collingall

Collingall Robust Member

That's totally understandable. Even a simple post to that effect would have been nice. I'm more than happy to wait for an amazing product.

moonchilde and jopamo like this.
  17. LordFenixNC

LordFenixNC Peppy Member

Yeah i agree... that is why i contacted him to let you guys know cause i knew i talked to him last month about it. So thought it was odd he didnt post for so long. dont quote me but i think he is going to do a update post as soon as his next batch of prototypes come in

moonchilde likes this.
  18. moonchilde

Why not a kickstarter to get some funds going? I'd be more than happy to preorder if it meant I could get this soon. I'd even be happy with some older prototypes. Right now I want this mostly to help support the CvS2 scene, since a DC with HDMI out would make streaming and monitor setup for tournament travel much easier than lugging around CRTs.

19. OzOnE

OzOnE Site Supporter 2013

Hi, all,

Sorry I haven't updated the thread in the while.
    I didn't have much progress to report until now, so I completely forgot to update on here.

The HDMI project is still ongoing. ;)

It's just that Mr RDC had to take a break over Christmas to fix up his workshop. He had a new floor put down, and the roof replaced etc., so he wasn't able to do any work on the PCB layout in that time.

He's back working on the project though, and the final-final-final PCB design is now done.
    The 1.27mm headers have been replaced with nice FPC ribbon connectors instead, so the tallest thing on the whole board will be the microHDMI port (which of course isn't very tall).

The FPC connectors should make it much easier to install in different systems, as we won't just be targeting the Dreamcast, of course.

The custom flex cable has been re-designed to fit the new connectors too, and some other parts on the board changed / upgraded.

There will still be another smaller "ESP" board that sits next to the joypad board in the Dreamcast to allow the ribbon cable from the joypad board to be easily plugged into the ESP board, and then a small 14-pin standard ribbon cable will connect the ESP board to the main HDMI / FPGA board.

It sounds a bit convoluted, but the ESP8266 module will bring the added features of the WiFi etc.
    That's not to say that it will initially allow the Dreamcast to play online games over "Dial-up via WiFi" on this version, as our priority is just to get the HDMI board released atm.

It will initially support lag-free 480p output, with 240p scan-doubler later on.
    The new board doesn't have a framebuffer RAM though, as we wanted to keep it as lag-free as possible (so 480i / 576i support will be similar to how the UltraHDMI does it).

Then I will be working on getting the GD Emu firmware working. Once that's done and tested, it will simply need another custom flex cable (won't be expensive) which plugs between the spare IO FPC connector on the HDMI board and the G1 / GD port of the Dreamcast.

You will then be able to select the game from the OSD using the Dreamcast controller, and have it reset the DC to start the game etc.

(forgot to mention - the ESP board will have a microSD socket on it which contains the FPGA firmware. Other options will be made available later on to move the SD slot to a more convenient place in the DC for when we get the GD Emu stuff working.)

The WiFi on the ESP module could in theory be used to allow access to the SD card contents too, or allow wireless controllers or phone / tablet to be used.

So, atm, we're just trying to raise funds again for getting the latest PCB prototypes made.
    I'm currently starting to sell some stuff to help pay for it.

I'm not giving up on this project, and neither is Mr RDC.

The path to an all-in-one true HDMI and GD Emu mod is getting closer. ;)

Regards,
    OzOnE.

20. OzOnE

OzOnE Site Supporter 2013

Oh yeah - also got digital video out of the PC Engine expansion port the other day (including palettes)... :)

http://imgur.com/a/E3Isb

That was only through VGA on the DE1 dev board atm, but it will of course work fine using the HDMI board and a simple adapter.

Or, I'm intending to get a custom flex cable made for the PC Engine / TG16 that will allow you to install the HDMI board inside.
    That way, it will let people use the CD drive with it at the same time.

OzOnE.

Crystal Shyps, juji, jopamo and 6 others like this.