Sega Dreamcast HDMI Adapter coming soon ..

Discussion in 'Sega Dreamcast Development and Research' started by Venatus Usque, Apr 8, 2015.

1. MonkeyBoyJoey

MonkeyBoyJoey 70's Robot Anime GEPPY-X (PS1) Fanatic

OzOnE's board will provide a better image since it taps directly into the DC's Digital AV signals and converts them into usable HDMI signals. The result is a lossless pure digital image and the best picture possible out of the DC. Akura just takes the analog RGBHV signals and converts them into digital HDMI signals. Digital to analog and back to digital will result in a loss of quality. Whether you can see that quality loss depends on how good your eyes are iirc.

Akura won't look much better than a VGA box if I understand all of this video stuff correctly. Also an issue I'm not sure Beharbros has explained is the handful of games that only support TV mode (no RGB output at all, just Composite and S-Video). Would they even work with Akura?

WarRen22 likes this.
  2. Collingall

Collingall Robust Member

To add to the last post, this is a modification to your dreamcast and may require near professional soldering skills to install. The other kit is a no mod plug and play option, it honestly comes down to what you want out of your dreamcast.
    The quality with this option should be better.
    Another benefit of this mod is an onscreen menu which you can bring up with a button shortcut for things like video options, and hopefully if it can be implemented the ability to reset the console so that you can, with a gdrom drive, choose a different game to play.

I like the idea of installing this kit more than the adapter cable as I want all my consoles to have native HDMI ports on them, my NES is Hi-Def modded, I have an Ultra-HDMI kit coming for my N64.

I will still end up getting the cable adapter mainly to tie me over until this kit is released.

When this kit releases I am willing to do installs for anyone that would like it done, I have a strong background as a solder jocky and have done many console mods in the past. I will get a better idea what I would charge for install when I get a kit to work with.

WarRen22, Xerxes3rd and moonchilde like this.
  3. moonchilde

moonchilde Papa Claw & Paw

Yeah I'm really looking forward to getting my hands on a kit and doing some installs myself. I really want to prototype test this thing.

Collingall likes this.
  4. simbin

simbin Spirited Member

Is this project still active?

moonchilde likes this.
  5. dragon_asia

dragon_asia Member

Amazing project! Looks like n64 ultrahdmi, nice!

6. Mike Yunk

Mike Yunk Newly Registered

When will the HDMI kit be available?

7. Antoniofurtadodias

Antoniofurtadodias Newly Registered

What is this project?

8. Collingall

Collingall Robust Member

I
    Internal HDMI mod which taps into the digital video signals before they are converted to analogue.

9. moonchilde

They're all digital, no analog conversion. That's the main reason someone would choose this over a HDMI conversion box like the one recently posted.

10. Yakumo

Yakumo Pillar of the Community *****

I recently came up with my own Dreamcast to HDMI solution :) It's a 480p signal but looks fantastic even on an older LED 1080p screen. I'll be posting a video soon. The solution wasn't expensive either but does require your TV has a USB port on it for power to the cable.

moonchilde and truemaster1 like this.
  11. megavolt85

megavolt85 Peppy Member

you can use +5V from HDMI

[​IMG]

truemaster1 likes this.
  12. Collingall

Collingall Robust Member

HDMI has really low power capabilities somewhere around 50mA at 5v, you could take the 5v from the Dreamcast connector it has a lot more power output capabilities.

truemaster1 likes this.
  13. Yakumo

Interesting idea but I ended up going USB. It just seemed so much simpler in the end.

14. citrus3000psi

citrus3000psi Housekeeping, you want towel?

Curious to see your device.

15. Yakumo

Oh man, I think people may think that this is some quality home made electronics kit. It's nothing that cool unfortunately but it will allow you to get 480p via Hdmi from the Dreamcast.

16. moonchilde

Doesn't matter, if it works it works. Still curious to see it.

17. citrus3000psi

citrus3000psi Housekeeping, you want towel?

I assumed it was some type of VGA to HDMI converter?

Yakumo likes this.
  18. Yakumo

Yeah, you got it :) but I'm not using a VGA box but an actual VGA cable direct from the Dreamcast in to a tinny VGA to HDMI box which also handles the audio.

19. Xerxes3rd

Xerxes3rd Rapidly Rising Member

I use a Kuro, and wired my Atlona AT-HDVIEW to use 5v from the Dreamcast (the Kuro puts 5v on one of the VGA pins). Works just fine, aside from the improper aspect ratio that most VGA->HDMI converters use when sampling the Dreamcast's VGA signal.

20. moonchilde

In that case why? What's good about the original idea in this thread that Ozone is working on is he's tapping the actual digital video and audio pins direct from the chips.