SEGA CDX problem

Discussion in 'Sega Discussion' started by gorgyrip, Aug 31, 2011.

1. l_oliveira

l_oliveira Officer at Arms

Suppling more amps than a apparatus draw isn't going to hurt at all. Supplying more volts do hurt so don't.

2. seat safety switch

seat safety switch Newly Registered

Sorry to resurrect this old(er) thread, but I purchased a JVC XEye recently which takes a similar power supply to the CDX (9.5V, 1.5A).

I just need a confirmation from someone who knows more - is the Asus power supply polarity-compatible with the XEye or would I have to reverse it?

The reason I ask is that this Sega-16 thread seems to indicate that the centre of the adaptor (the "tip?") needs to be positive and the barrel negative. Apparently some multi-adaptors don't do that and need conversion.

My Eee 702 power supply, model AD59930, (odd that I have one on hand!) has the symbol for positive polarity, is 9.5V and 2.5A, so I think it should work but I'm not really willing to risk my XEye to find out.

The symbol is (+) ---• )---- (-) which I take to be positive polarity, but Wikipedia has the symbols around the other way for it (but still with a "cup" on the negative side and a "ball" on the positive side).

Last edited: Jan 11, 2012
  3. l_oliveira

Tip is NEGATIVE on ALL early SEGA stuff.

I believe that MD2 indeed use "standard" polarity where the tip is + but in the case of SEGA/MEGA-CD 1 and 2 they kept it compatible with the old Mega Drive/SEGA Genesis power brick.

As per the X'Eye, if it's written on the back of the unit it's positive on the tip, as long you don't supply more than 15v to it (15v is the maximum the voltage regulator they use allows for) it should work perfectly.

I use an Toshiba power supply from an old PC XT laptop (T1000) the machine got ruined because it's capacitors leaked and corroded everything inside, but I kept the power supply and some parts. Eventually the power supply was very useful as I can power both the Mega Drive and Mega-CD with it at same time (it's rated for 3 amps)...

4. TmEE

TmEE Peppy Member

Xeye uses MD2 style power connector, which is tip positive edge negative so that Asus adaptor would work. Alternatively you could use a PS2 slim AC brick.

5. Shakey_Jake33

Shakey_Jake33 Robust Member

6. l_oliveira

Sounds perfect but might require plug replacement.