Sega CDX 3D printed parts

Discussion in 'Repair, Restoration, Conservation and Preservation' started by radiokid, Sep 14, 2016.

1. radiokid

radiokid Rising Member

Hi

Does anyone on here have ability to create schematics and/or 3D print them?

Specifically I am after a power and reset button for a Sega CDX. But it got me thinking, for some retro consoles it's quite hard to find replacement parts, so it would be good to build up a repository of schematics to print. Don't know if anything like that already exists but I couldn't find anything.

2. Tachikoma

Tachikoma Officer at Arms

If you can find/create the models, I can print them for the cost of postage (from the UK)

3. jdollatari

jdollatari Member

this could be a nice little business down the road hell even now. what would parts cost to make i'm guessing parts and wear and tear on the printer are more important than the materials used cost. tachikoma may i ask which printer you use and the cost? ive seen the 3d printers from like 300 to thousands of dollars

4. Tachikoma

It's a kit printer me and my son were making from a magazine, it's not a brilliant printer, and it needs constant tweaking and calibrating, but we have got some decent prints off it. I think it came to about £600 over 90 issues, but they include filament, tools and crap like that. You can certainly get a better printer for half that now, but when the magazine started it was a decent price for the spec and we obviously spread out the cost.

Parts cost pennies to make, I buy filament for £20 per kilo, and you can print a lot of shit with 1KG of plastic, I could buy even cheaper filament or buy in bulk and it would be even cheaper.

Yeah wear and tear could be an issue further down the line, but it's (mostly) standard parts, there's only the motherboard that is really custom, and you could swap that out for a £10-20 Chinese clone easily enough.

jdollatari likes this.
  5. radiokid

radiokid Rising Member

So I've got another Sega CDX incoming with all the buttons intact, and I plan to use these as a basis for creating the models for the other Sega CDX.

Tachikoma can you recommend the best way to create these models, is it essentially just a matter of measuring and recreating in some modelling software?

6. Tachikoma

Yep, get some decent calipers, plot it all out on paper then go wild with TinkerCAD, Fusion360, SketchFAB Basic or whatever software tickles your fancy. One thing to remember though is how 3D printers work, so if it's particularly complicated or there's very thin parts, you might be better off creating it in sections that slot/glue together. It doesn't have to be 100% the same as the old one (unless that's what you are after), it only has to fit and do the same job.

Manage your expectations for things like small details or text embossed into a button, most 3D printers will struggle to reproduce detail past a certain point.

Feel free to send me whatever models you knock up, I can print them off and photograph/send them to you for fine tuning distances or details.

7. wilykat

wilykat Site Supporter 2013

Another useful one for CDX: Sega originally planned a spacer to let 32X sit on CDX and the picture was featured in the instruction sheet but it was never made available because Sega couldn't get FCC to allow it. But no one gives a fuck now so if you have CDX and 32X system, and have picture of the spacer you could use caliper to try and get a general space and measurement then work it out in 3D program to get one that works. A stable 32X+CDX would be much better than duct-taped 32X or some other ugly rig.