Sega CD SRAM cart?

Discussion in 'Mega Everdrive / Everdrive MD' started by ASSEMbler, Aug 28, 2010.

1. KRIKzz

KRIKzz Well Known Member

you should write cd-bios as game on everdrive and run it

2. Humbug

Humbug Newly Registered

whoa man thats an awesome idea!

cheers! :D

3. sheath

sheath Spirited Member

Okay, I just thought I'd chime in as this is very interesting to me. One, as far as I can tell the Everdrive does not work with US model Genesis 1+2 or Sega CD 1+2 for the Sega CD bios functionality. The Japanese or European Mega CD bios appears to load on the Everdrive, the Sega CD boots and either gives a black screen, a frozen "normal bios" screen, or simply loads the normal bios as if the Everdrive wasn't there.

Two, I don't think it is realistic to ever expect full Sega CD isos to load to the Everdrive and boot. I am fairly confident that the Sega CD was never designed to operate without the CD-ROM reading data in to main RAM. It might be possible, but it would be a tremendous work around for very little return.

The process for loading a foreign region Sega/Mega CD bios is the same as loading a ROM to the Everdrive. The effect should be seeing the the Mega CD bios you loaded instead of your system's installed bios and thus you would be able to play games from other regions. If you are using CD-Rs (kiss your CD-ROM drive goodbye), you should just region modify the ISO before burning and be done with it.

4. goombakid

goombakid Spirited Member

I have the US Genesis 2 and Sega CD 2 (flip top model).

Using the EverDrive MD, I've been able to load the region free BIOS (from the EverDrive MD's main page) onto the EverDrive MD, and it would boot up a non-region modified CD-R just fine.

I tested playing w/o the EverDrive in the slot and tried to boot a Mega-CD game; disc reads as a regular CD (won't load the game). I tried playing with the EverDrive in, loaded the region free BIOS to the card. It then proceeded to load the Mega-CD game in the drive, game loads just fine.

I have not tried playing a EU game yet with this configuration.

It may not work if you use any other BIOS, but the one on KRIKzz's site works fine without region modifying the disc.

5. sheath

sheath Spirited Member

Okay, I'll try to check that, I am fairly certain that I tried the Russell region free bios on my Genesis 1 SCD 1 combo and my Genesis 2 SCD 2 combo. The problem was not so much that the game (original Sonic Mega CD Jp) wouldn't load, it was that the bios screen didn't load. I will test this exact bios again tonight.

-edit-

My Gen 2 SCD 2 freezes at the bios screen with the Russell region free bios. It freezes the graphics before the moon and earth graphics load more than 20% from the top (or garbles them) and doesn't play music.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2010
  6. goombakid

goombakid Spirited Member

I just tried again with a fresh backup of Sonic CD, same console, same BIOS as I mentioned before. Works just fine. The Japanese version also allowed me to continue from my last save that I played on the US version, which I found interesting.

Again, to make sure it wasn't a modified image, I ran the game w/out the EverDrive in. Read the disc as a CD.

I don't know what to tell you. Maybe try formatting your SD card again or try to get a different SD card. I'm using backups (all I have for Mega CD, ATM), dunno if that has anything to do with it.:shrug:

7. sheath

sheath Spirited Member

If I wanted to use CD-Rs I could modify the region anyway. I don't want to endanger my Sega CDs' 16+ year CD-ROM drives with inferior non-pressed media. I have already killed two DUOs, and have heard my Dreamcast strain with CD-Rs. My Sega CD model 1 makes a strange grinding sound when I try CD-Rs, or when I turn it off at the wrong time and then turn it back on later. I'm not taking any chances with it, since I bought it new at launch.

I would be willing to bet the reason yours is working/modifiable with everdrive, and the reason KRIKzz thought it would work on US consoles in the first place, was because it was only tested with CDRs.

All the same though, my issue isn't just that I can't play Sonic CD jp, the bios crashes or fails to load at all regardless of region. This could possibly have something to do with which revision of each console and add-on I have versus what you have. As I have no intention of trying to purchase additional units to test them, the issue is moot for me.

8. lost69

lost69 Active Member

so now all they new everdrive can do sega cd memory back up or not?
    krikzz

Last edited: Jun 11, 2011
  9. derekb

derekb Well Known Member

10. sonicdude10

sonicdude10 So long AG and thanks for all the fish!

I hate to bump an old topic but this got me interested. I know that the now current Mega ED will function as a BIOS loader and BRAM cart. I'm wondering what's preventing apps to be written for the MD version to do that? The hardware to function as a BRAM and load BIOS is there. How come no one has written a ROM to do this yet? Is it really that much trouble? I'm too broke ATM to go for the Mega ED.

EDIT: I know some of you looking at this may already know I just got a Japanese Mega CD RAM Cart making this question irrelevant for me in the BRAM part. I'm just wondering the possibilities for those who don't want so many carts laying around for small tasks.

Cart for each game...
    Cart for region changing...
    Cart for Extra save space in CD games...
    Cart for Game Genie or Action Replay...
    Cart like 32X thing for 32X and CD 32X games?
    And so on...

Last edited: Oct 19, 2012